: Environment Canada issues winter storm warning for southern Ontario

james99
2009-12-08, 10:24 PM
TORONTO - Environment Canada has issued a winter storm warning for much of southern Ontario. (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091208/national/winter_storm)

recneps77
2009-12-08, 11:25 PM
It seems the media's gotten worse over the years.
First a frenzy over nothing (swine flu in like may, before it was hardly anything to scoff at... not that I think it is that huge a deal right now--at least not proportionate to the news coverage it's gotten), now a MAJOR STORM!!! OH NO, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! :rolleyes:

I realize this is about environment Canada's warning. They issue them for all kinds of weather. It's just this is barely worth classifying as a 'storm' and yet the media has gone wild.

txv
2009-12-08, 11:59 PM
^Either it's gotten worse or my tolerance for fear mongering has declined.

The corporate media has run out of new legitimate things to cover which don't conflict with their mandate to not offend the corporate management or marketing companies. There are probably very few real journalists left.

Economic political correctness does far more harm than it's social counterpart.

2009-12-09, 12:52 AM
On the other hand, if this keeps people who cannot drive well, don't have appropriate tires, or shouldn't be out, in, or taking transit, then I'm all for it. ;)

BGY11
2009-12-09, 12:57 AM
If it's anything like what Alberta got this past weekend, then I'm all for calling it a "winter storm."

Nodnerb
2009-12-09, 09:34 AM
We only have a few centimeters here in wpg so far. You can still see grass. We've never had so little snow in my recollection. Often by halloween we have more than this. It's minus freaking stupid though.
Arizona is supposed to get 50cm today. That should be funny.

hugh
2009-12-09, 10:22 AM
Posts removed from this thread.

From the Rules of the forum

Abuse of other members is not tolerated - denigrating other members with criticism and sarcastic comments is not acceptable. This includes belittling a members city, town, province or country. We welcome diverse points of view but we will not tolerate illegal, obscene, rude, racist and intolerant behavior.

I am really tired of having to enforce this rule. Unfortunately, we have some members from a certain Western Province who think its perfectly acceptable to bash Ontario, Toronto and the Maritimes yet go crazy if they feel their province is slighted in anyway. Grow up people or you will be issued infractions and ultimately have your accounts removed.

eljay
2009-12-09, 10:55 AM
Five to 10 centimetres of snow is likely.AAAAHHHHH!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Big deal. That's a dusting of snow, hardly worth mentioning! ;)

Seriously, we're expecting 15-20cm in Ottawa and, to me, that's an irritation, not a crisis.

Tezster
2009-12-09, 11:28 AM
Well, that was one of the more bumpy rides to work I've had. There wasn't much snow, but combined with the relatively high temperatures and ice pellets/rain, roads that weren't plowed that well were left with a lot of compacted slush/snow.