: Stream video and game at same time?

Skie
2009-12-01, 06:54 PM
I was wondering if you could stream video from a HD to your TV somewhere else (using something like WD Live HD) and at the same time be playing a game...?

Is that possible or no? The movies and games would be on separate HDs, but on the same computer (intel dual or quad core).

I'm wondering to see if i really have to build a separate HTPC-type system or not... Not interested in recording of TV - just playing my recorded DVDs/BluRays off my computer (i have a 6 year old...don't really want him touching BluRay discs by accident and maybe scratching/breaking them.... :( )

Anybody know anything if it's possible or asking too much... :)

Wayne
2009-12-02, 02:59 PM
It is certainly possible but there is the risk of slowing your gameplay. Why not use an old PC as a file server that you hide away in your basement? Better yet use WHS as your OS. Then you could use an Xbox360 at your TVs rather than a WD Live HD.

Skie
2009-12-02, 04:59 PM
Tv and computer are on other side of room from each other in basement.... :)

Xbox 360 = $300 VS $1xx for WD Live HD....

Already have Windows 7 i could use...why do i need WHS? Can't 7 be used instead...?

Would it matter if games and movies would be on different HDs? Or whether the movie HDs are located on something like the DLink DNS-323 2 bay NAS and connected to a router; router connected to internet/PC/WD Live box...?

I'm thinking using something like the DLink NAS would basically remove anything to do with the pc since it would be separate and linked via router...?

TorontoColin
2009-12-02, 05:16 PM
Actually an Xbox 360 can be found for as little as $150 and MSRP at $200.

If you put the files on a NAS you should be fine. If they're on the PC you might have problems with a really resource intensive game.