: Mac OS X on Intel Platforms

bigcletus
2009-11-30, 07:24 PM
There's at least 1 retailer selling Intel PC's with OSX installed. They also offer a software solution so you can build your own. Has anyone created this type of Mac Clone" ? I'm very interested. And so far, Apple has not shut them down so I'm suspecting this might be 100% legal. Sounds like you can build a far superior Mac for a lot less cash.
If you want to have a look, just google "mac clone".

Roastbeef
2009-11-30, 07:45 PM
Are you taking about Psystar (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141473/Psystar_promised_investors_huge_clone_sales)? I wouldn't buy a PC from them if I were you! Mac hardware, particularly the portables, is very nice stuff. You might be able to hack something together for less $$, but not so sure it would be "far superior".

bigcletus
2009-11-30, 07:59 PM
Yes..thats the firm...why the negative opinion of them ??

rsambuca
2009-11-30, 08:17 PM
They have been put out of business by the recent lawsuit from apple for violating the terms of the EULA.

Roastbeef
2009-11-30, 08:23 PM
Well did you read the article? Doesn't look like their business model has worked out too well for them. So far they've sold a total of 768 PCs. Their conservative estimates were to be at least 1.2 million.

lgplasma
2009-11-30, 08:27 PM
What you want is called a hackintosh. The forum that supports this for individuals is insanelymac.com. Its not always straightforward and things often break on OS updates.

richnanaimo
2009-11-30, 09:14 PM
Building a Hackintosh is relatively easy. There are several forums/site out their that provide a supportive user community. There are also several different builds of 10.5.8 out there that work just great....providing you have already checked the Hardware compatibility list and the hardware you have (namely the processor, chipset, and video card) are one the list and have proven successful via other users.

The build "developers" also provide updates to their builds...as mentioned some updates will give you nothing more than a kernel panic....that being said every type of update other than the Core OS updates work perfectly.

Personally I am running iDeneb 10.5.8 -- flawlessly. Of course it did take some gentle massaging of kexts and code (drivers) to get it just right. ;)

There are lots of resources on this; OSX86 wiki is a great place to start.....

Before you try an attempt --- give yourself an entire weekend for OSX on a PC.....you may wanna hit up the latest version of Ubuntu -- you may just forget all about that thing that Mr Jobs doesn't want you doin....