: Stream Shaw box via Firewire to Media Center PC?

kaal
2009-11-28, 03:43 PM
My question seems to cross over all kinds of different forums & I'm not sure where to post.

Can I watch live (stream) tv on my pc by connecting a Shaw DCT6200 by firewire? What Win Vista 32 software do I need to make this work?

jean luc picard
2009-11-29, 02:49 PM
no. you can connect a tv tuner/capture card with analog cables tho and control the box via an ir blaster.

hauppage hdpvr is the card you need for high def.

software: 1) sagetv with hdpvr
OR 2) windows media center or sagetv if you use another card

Wayne
2009-11-29, 11:47 PM
Actually sometimes you can use firewire but it can be kind of flaky. You can use VLC for playback once you install the drivers from your PC. Check out this thread for more info http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56259

It is for Rogers but the methodolgy is pretty much the same. I never got it to work consistently - good luck.

kaal
2009-12-01, 11:16 PM
Wayne - :D:D:D
Can you tell I'm smiling!

I followed your link

I installed the firewire software from comcast.
I installed VLC Media Player.
I tinkered around for many many hours on the web & VLC, and then
SHAZAM
Live streaming tv on my htpc

Tks - kaal

ps can I get it to work with Windows Media Center?

Wayne
2009-12-02, 01:55 PM
ps can I get it to work with Windows Media Center?I don't know the current state of that - the drivers you downloaded were written years ago to allow firewire to work with Windows XP MCE and I think they worked with Vista as well. It was a bit of a hack as it would have to record the show using another tuner as well and then somehow swap the firewire created file with the regular file. So you would temporarily have double recordings of all shows. Google around and see what you get.

It should work with SageTV (another PVR software). I use Sage but I only using firewire for channel changing since I can't get a reliable signal from more than one or two channels from my Rogers box. I think it is even partially supported in Sage but I don't know for sure as I use Hauppauge HD-PVRs to capture video/audio.

It may also work with MythTV for Linux. In the past people running Linux or Macs seem to have better luck than Win users.