: What Should I use to Stream video from PC to TV?

perform23
2009-11-27, 12:00 AM
I currently have an XBOX 360 hooked up to my tv in the living room, and the XBOX is hard wired to the router that is hooked up on my pc. I can easily stream video from my pc to the XBOX360, and I really enjoy the ease of use, menu's, ability to also stream photos and music, etc. The only problem is that it will not do hd file formats native to the XBOX360 such as .mkv and .264 files.

Now I want to be able to stream video from the pc to the tv in my bedroom. I know I can do it if I buy another XBOX360, but I will still be unable to stream native HD video through the pc to the XBOX360. I am looking to buy the best solution, what would folks recommend? Does the PS3 have good and easy to navigate menu's to navigate through files, etc.? Will it play DivX, and HD PC file formats? I am also starting to see BlueRay players that claim to stream content from the PC wirelessly. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other options that I am not thinking about?

It seems like a streaming box to do what I am looking for should be more common as a stand alone box with gaming and Blueray not included. Is getting a $300.00 PS3 my best option although I am not really interested in gaming or Blueray?

I checked online at FutureShop, but din't find many other affordable options that made sense.

KingBuzzo
2009-11-27, 12:22 AM
media center can already do this...

perform23
2009-11-27, 12:44 AM
But media center has to talk to something that is connected to my television. I need to know what the best device is for meeting my criteria to connect to the tv, XBOX, PS3, Bluay player, etc.

rsambuca
2009-11-27, 01:36 AM
You might consider the Popcorn Hour media streamer or the WD HD Media player.

DJDiggler
2009-11-27, 02:24 AM
look into the WDTV live, it's the new version of the one rsambuca mentioned. You can find them for a little over $100. It will do all you need.

Also there is a custom firmware (http://b-rad.cc/1000/wdtv-live-homebrew-firmware-development/) that unlocks even more features... that guy also does a tear down (http://b-rad.cc/974/wdtv-live-unboxing-undressing/) of the unit and it seems to have great hardware, much better than the original. (much more modding potential also!)

CHrisCHu
2009-11-27, 05:58 AM
Does anybody know if the latest WDTV Live (there seem to be so many different versions of it) properly supports doube-rate deinterlace (i.e. 60 field per second)? The one WD HD media box my brother tried (good that it was from Future Shop for its return policy) didn't support 60 fps for .TS file straight from DVR box or OTA and it was quite glitchy for some common file types.

It's sad that even up to date there are still so many people out there including software developers don't realize the importance of double-rate deinterlace for TV content. I don't care how sophisticated the deinterlace algorithm is designed to strive for better picture quality, if it doesn't do double-rate deinterlace it's useless.

congo
2009-11-27, 07:19 AM
WDTV Live is on sale at NCIX until the 30th. They currently have stock. Nice thing is that you can also add a wireless adapter (n recommended) so you don't need an network jack in the bedroom. I'm thinking about it but have to do more research on its ability to talk to my Dlink DNS-323. Anybody have experience with that?

Congo

supergenius
2009-11-27, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking about it but have to do more research on its ability to talk to my Dlink DNS-323. Anybody have experience with that?

Congo

Works great with my DNS-323. Streams 1080p mkv without problems over my wired lan.

ctown6412
2009-11-27, 11:32 AM
Im pretty sure you can just install the latest version of ps3 media server and it will transcode all files to your xbox. but if you looking at buying something else why not consider a ps3 for your main one then you have bluray and wicked media streamer! you still would need to install ps3 media server thou.

perform23
2009-11-27, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys, the Western Digital WDTV Live HD Network Media Player looks to be exactly what I was looking for!

In fact, I already ordered one from NCIX for $129.99 Canadian which is on sale for $10.00 off. I just hope that I ordered the right one as there were several to choose from: Part #: WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN

congo
2009-11-27, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys, the Western Digital WDTV Live HD Network Media Player looks to be exactly what I was looking for!

In fact, I already ordered one from NCIX for $129.99 Canadian which is on sale for $10.00 off. I just hope that I ordered the right one as there were several to choose from: Part #: WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN
That's the one I was talking about and it's 40 bucks less than Best Buy! Thinking I may get one too! Did you order and HDMI cable with it too? Don't think it came with one; only component video.

Update: BOUGHT ONE! Couldn't get a cheap HDMI cable - sold out.

Update 2: picked up 2 6 ft HDMI's and 2 6 ft optical cables for 20.56 cdn shipped from Monoprice :)

Congo

rsambuca
2009-11-27, 07:36 PM
Let us know how well they work!

perform23
2009-11-27, 10:42 PM
I ended up getting 100 ft of cat5e cable and a 2m Monster optical cable (on sale - $9.99) from NCIX as well. I did not need another HDMI cable. My only mistake was ordering the Media Player this afternoon, and the other stuff this evening - so I had to pay 2x the shipping.

I found that NCIX worked better for me as Monoprice wanted more for shipping that the cat5e and optical cable was worth - and it would have taken a lot longer for shipping.

I want this stuff hooked up as soon as possible, an early Christmas present to myself! :)