: Blu-ray buying decisions

Khorn
2009-11-24, 05:19 PM
What prompts you to buy Blu-ray movies?

I don't go to movie theatres (only twice since the late 70's, early 80's) therefore movies I would buy are either older movies I know well or highly recommended ones with great technical reviews as to PQ and sound. I also don't want to buy any films I will only watch once as I'm not a "collector".

Strange though, most of the stuff I tend to watch over and over again usually ain't so hot in those technical things that we all look for. They're just movies I really like.

Zero G
2009-11-24, 05:30 PM
I buy only the titles I know I'll watch many times. That is the only criteria other than price and quality of the Blu-ray transfer. I will not buy any Mpeg 2 encodes, only VC-1 or AVC. So in a nutshell I have to really like the movie a lot and the disc price has to be reasonable with a good tranfer. :)

jvincent
2009-11-24, 05:31 PM
If I think I'll watch it multiple times, then I'll buy it.

cfraser
2009-11-25, 05:29 PM
I am quite surprised by the stuff I end up watching many times. I just can't tell in advance. And some stuff works much better at home than at the theatre too. The theatre experience is pretty much sucking these days, almost like watching commercial TV at home, without having control and the convenience and cheap good food and proper :) beverages...and all for a higher price too.

Not that setting up a half-decent HT is cheap...but what are you going to do, leave all your $$ to your kids? So they can set up a decent HT? Because they will... :) I buy any BD/DVD that I think I'll like.

MikeH
2009-11-26, 03:45 PM
Price and multiple viewing potential.