: Connecting rogers cable to pc??

jake94
2009-11-22, 01:07 AM
I am quite new to this and am a bit confused on all that I've read, what I would like to know is. If i already subscribe to Rogers cable and would like to split one of my cable's and run it to my pc do I need another cable box connected to a TV tuner card to de-crypt the channels?? Or can i run the cable directly to the tuner card without another box?

2009-11-22, 01:34 AM
If you only want the analogue channels, then you could connect the coax directly to an NTSC tuner in the PC. If you want digital/HD, then you need the STB and appropriate connections to the HTPC and appropriate devices/software in your HTPC. Are you trying to record HD?

jake94
2009-11-22, 10:11 AM
No, I'm building a pc for my daughter and she would like to be able to watch TV on it. I was always under the impression the channels where scrambled from the filter they place on the box outside the house, that is why I thought since I'm already a subscriber to Rogers digital I could just install a good TV tuner card into the pc and have the card act as the digital cable box so i would not have to rent another one. But if that is not the case and i have to get another box to connect to the card what would you suggest?
I do have hd channels and her monitor is 1080p capable

JamesK
2009-11-22, 10:30 AM
If the monitor has a spare DVI or HDMI input, you can just connect the converter to the monitor. My monitor has HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs and a button on the front panel to switch inputs. I've got my computer connected to the DVI input and a KVM switch using VGA. I may get a HD converter in the future to connect to the HDMI input.

Wayne
2009-11-23, 01:40 PM
The PC cannot act as a cable box - but as JamesK mentions you can use a PC monitor as your TV if you want to only have one screen. But that means that you can't use your PC at the same time. If you had a tuner card in your PC you could tune analog cable or, with the addition of a digital box, you could tune digital cable. Then you could watch TV in a window on your screen and still use your PC for other tasks. To do so you would need a TV app like Windows Media Center, which comes with the Home Premium versions of Win7 and Vista.

jake94
2009-11-23, 03:06 PM
Ok that makes sense, so if I rent an additional digital cable box, how fancy does the tuner card have to be? I've seen cards ranging from 26 bucks to 180 bucks. Any suggestions. The box would be standard definition and would only be used to watch the digital channels I subscribe to.

Wayne
2009-11-23, 03:08 PM
I would suggest the PVR-150 MCE kit if you can find it. You can sometimes find it for $50 or less and it comes with a remote control and IR blaster/receiver which is needed to change channels on your digital cable box. You would connect this to your cable box via s-video and analog audio cables and this card works well with Win Media Center.

jake94
2009-11-23, 03:21 PM
Thank you very much for all your help..