: Split from History HD thread: KTLA-HD rumour

TJ77
2009-11-18, 10:01 PM
Rumor has it that KTLA HD and CNNHD are supposed to be the next two channels to appear. I've also heard rumors about CNBC and Fox News.

Daksport
2009-11-18, 10:54 PM
Well SD might not be doing so well with the firmware update that has been in the works for quite some time but they are doing quite well with picking up a lot of new channels here as of late :D

ae_collector
2009-11-18, 11:36 PM
It will be interesting to see if KTLA lands in the HD Extra Package or if we will automatically get it if we have KTLA Std Def. KTLA is only available by subscribing to one of the movie packages (I think?) so giving us the HD version of it shouldn't be a big deal.

bigoranget
2009-11-19, 12:27 AM
CNN and KTLA should show up sometime within the next 3-4 weeks (No guarantee though).

Before CNBC and Fox News are offered in HD, I think CBC News Network HD should be added first.

Longmayirun
2009-11-19, 11:40 AM
"ae_collector said: It will be interesting to see if KTLA lands in the HD Extra Package or if we will automatically get it if we have KTLA Std Def. KTLA is only available by subscribing to one of the movie packages (I think?) so giving us the HD version of it shouldn't be a big deal."

I wouldn't bet on that. I subscribe to the movie pkg which gives me AMC - so I am paying a premium price for that service. But . . . . if I want AMC HD I have to pay another fee! Ridiculous. I'm already paying a premium and now they want an extra fee just to get it in HD?? One of the reasons I will never pay for HD extra. I don't want to watch the same program in HD that much. I think I can tough it out in poor old standard def.

GaryE
2009-11-19, 12:13 PM
I think KTLA-HD will be packaged like WGN-HD. You'll have to buy the Superstations (not Superchannel) package for $3.95 or $4.95 depending on the CRS you get or 99cents per channel or free with TMN and/or Superchannel package. The HD Extra package doesn't have a premium channel like Family or Playboy so KTLA-HD will not be packaged in HD Extra.

ae_collector
2009-11-19, 01:45 PM
"ae_collector said: It will be interesting to see if KTLA lands in the HD Extra Package or if we will automatically get it if we have KTLA Std Def. KTLA is only available by subscribing to one of the movie packages (I think?) so giving us the HD version of it shouldn't be a big deal."

I wouldn't bet on that. I subscribe to the movie pkg which gives me AMC - so I am paying a premium price for that service. But . . . . if I want AMC HD I have to pay another fee! Ridiculous. I'm already paying a premium and now they want an extra fee just to get it in HD?? One of the reasons I will never pay for HD extra. I don't want to watch the same program in HD that much. I think I can tough it out in poor old standard def.
Yes I forgot about the AMC example but then WGN HD is free so likely KTLA should be as well. They are quickly departing from the model where HD's were free if you subscribed to the SD version. I guess they have to make enough money to stay in business one way or another.

sports addict
2009-11-19, 05:51 PM
Yes I forgot about the AMC example but then WGN HD is free so likely KTLA should be as well. They are quickly departing from the model where HD's were free if you subscribed to the SD version. I guess they have to make enough money to stay in business one way or another.

Like i said in another thread , that part bugged me a lot . B4 having the HD recever , i was watching star choice and they were always saying that their HD channels were free , if you had the standard ones , in reality that's not the case . It is very frustrating to see that i have some standard channels that i'm already paying for and i can't have them in HD without paying again.

The sports package , i can understand and i dont mind to pay an extra for it , but the rest , it's a big no for me.

Another thing that i dont understand is why the HDNet is not free , I mean we paid for the HD recever , that would be only logic to give us that channel for free.

ae_collector
2009-11-19, 06:39 PM
What is HDNet? I have never subscribed to the HD Extra package so don't know what it is.

newstarbob
2009-11-19, 07:02 PM
Free??? By that logic, all the channels should be free...

HDNet is a premium (ish) channel. They have to pay extra to carry it. I like the channel and would pay 4.99 a month for that channel alone. Shh, don't tell SD that....

Unlike A&E 'HD' and a couple other channels... HDNet is full time, real HD. None of the stretched to fit, standard def crapola. They have a variety of stuff on... from movies, to live concerts, to Dan Rather Reports... google and look at their website / programming.

I do agree though... if you're paying for the sd channels, you ought to get the hd. Hey, it's still a heck of a lot better than the other options out there, IMO.

sports addict
2009-11-19, 07:25 PM
Free??? By that logic, all the channels should be free...

HDNet is a premium (ish) channel. They have to pay extra to carry it. I like the channel and would pay 4.99 a month for that channel alone. Shh, don't tell SD that....

Unlike A&E 'HD' and a couple other channels... HDNet is full time, real HD. None of the stretched to fit, standard def crapola. They have a variety of stuff on... from movies, to live concerts, to Dan Rather Reports... google and look at their website / programming.

I do agree though... if you're paying for the sd channels, you ought to get the hd. Hey, it's still a heck of a lot better than the other options out there, IMO.

ok , if you dont like the word free , at least they should include HDNet in many packages ... just like Bell TV is doing . In their brochure ( Bell TV ) , if it's not false publicity , they have the HDNet in 5 HD packages vs Shaw where we can find it in only one . Like i said , i dont mind paying for sports HD, so add the HDNet in sports HD and i'll pay for it , no prob .

ABM 111
2009-11-19, 08:01 PM
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to email us. First and foremost, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations that we may have caused you. We will be adding a lot of new channels this year to our line-up. We are working out the contract details with the broadcasters right now. We will inform you as soon as we have a launch date. We have put through a channel request for KTLA HD and CNN HD on your behalf. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct,

Angela G. – on behalf of Jim Cummins

Ask Jim

Shaw Direct - Shaw Communications Inc.

24/7 Customer Care - 1-888-554-7827

newstarbob
2009-11-19, 08:25 PM
Hold on though... how much extra is everyone paying per package on bell???
I personally hate the way bell packages are set up. Having the option is better than paying a higher price for an all inclusive package. You think bell is not charging for that channel??? Do a price comparison and think again...