: First post... looking at HTPC with Mythbuntu and Rogers cable in Ottawa

stego
2009-11-12, 10:38 PM
I see a few posters are from Ottawa... curious to know if anyone has gotten anywhere with Rogers and Mythbuntu/Mythtv configuration?

I'm currently typing this message from Mythbuntu live CD 9.10!

I'm currently running a P4 2.4 GHZ with 1 gig RAM, 500 SATA internal drive, LG DVDRW... and yes, and old ATI All In Wonder 7500 TV card...

I'm thinking perhaps this PC could serve as a front end (with a better video card for sure).... and I'll have to go shopping for a backend server.

Question is, will I get anywhere with Rogers STB? I plan on getting a 4250HD STB... just have the standard digital box.

I've read in other threads that it's problematic getting a signal from the Firewire ports... other option would be to use component or HDMI out? But then, PVR SW can't control the program schedule and channels?

Thanks for the info

Stephane

2009-11-12, 11:49 PM
There's a Rogers Firewire thread and there's an Hauppauge HD PVR thread. Suggest you review both of those long threads. I believe the links are in the following Recording HD FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

See also the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

stego
2009-11-13, 12:04 PM
Thanks 57... that's what I was afraid of... from what I have read so far... it's an exercise in futility and frustration.

And frankly, I don't think I have the time and expertise to work on this kind of "project".

Plus, I have to have a set-up that is easy enough, and stable enough so my wife and kids can use it.

Wayne
2009-11-14, 12:13 PM
I've read in other threads that it's problematic getting a signal from the Firewire ports... other option would be to use component or HDMI out? But then, PVR SW can't control the program schedule and channels?Firewire is problematic for video - the only reliable way to get an HD signal from a box to your PC is to use a Hauppauge HD-PVR unit. I believe this works with MythTV but I use SageTV running on Windows Home Server.

But I don't know why you say that the PVR software can't control the schedule and channels - it can by using an IR blaster to change channels, or you can use firewire for channel changing - that part does work pretty well.

mlord
2009-11-14, 01:00 PM
.. or you can use firewire for channel changing - that part does work pretty well.
Can you post a pointer to posts describing how to accomplish that with Rogers Cable ? A buddy of mine could really make use of that capability in his (mythtv+hdpvr+rogers) setup.

Thanks.

Wayne
2009-11-14, 01:42 PM
Can you post a pointer to posts describing how to accomplish that with Rogers Cable ? A buddy of mine could really make use of that capability in his (mythtv+hdpvr+rogers) setup.I can for Windows but is that going to be of any use? I have never used Myth nor have I used Linux with my cable boxes.

2009-11-14, 04:29 PM
It's not a good idea to run parallel threads, so, if the discussion is about Rogers firewire, please use that thread, if about the Hauppauge, please use that thread. If anything else, feel free to continue here.

stego
2009-11-14, 07:56 PM
Thanks Wayne for the info.

Although I said I woudn't pursue this project, something inside of me is burning to do so. I didn't want to have to invest $500-$1000 on a new "backend" Myth server to see whether or not I could record cable content.

I'm thinking perhaps of tinkering with my current desktop, buying a compatible Hauppage card, and running MythBuntu from a Live CD (not sure if it'll work, but will give it a shot) and connect my Rogers 8300 PVR and see how it goes. I'm currently running Opensuse Linux, so don't want to blow it away, so will attempt a Live CD set-up. If I feel good about my trial runs, then I may turn my desktop into a backend Myth box, and build myself a cheaper front-end server/desktop. I also want to try out a capture card with built-in ATSC tuner (OTA HD) and see what's available in Ottawa.

I'll make sure to share with the community my failures/successes when the time comes.

From what I've read, the sys requirements for running Myth aren't that high, especially if you use a capture card with onboard encoder/decoder....

I thought I read somewhere someone saying that IR control was not possible if going through standard capture card inputs, such as composite or s-video etc...