: WMC 7 - Which commercials remover are you using?

Pages : [1] 2

Bob_Mtl
2009-11-07, 03:43 AM
I would like to know which automatic commercials remover you recommend using with Media Center 7.
With Vista I was using Lifextender mainly because i like the definition of the name:

Because your 30-minute TV shows will now be around 22 minutes long, saving you around 15 minutes for every hour you watch TV, you'll notice that you have a lot more free time. This gives the illusion that your life is being extended... kidding.

but there is no update for WMC7...

Thanks

redzone
2009-11-07, 11:50 AM
give the vista version a try. lots of vista programs run in win7 withotu a hitch

report back if it works. id love a program like that!

danbcman
2009-11-07, 01:28 PM
I have used the videoredo and have had no issues with it.

pnear
2009-11-08, 10:02 AM
Windows 7 Media Center uses a new file format, wtv, which the vista commercial removal tools can't work with. One of the paid apps, ShowAnalyzer, has a version that works with WTV. I've not used it, but it looks like they have an app that will take care of watching the directory for you as well.

More info at the following link:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/08/showanalyzer-1-0-arrives-with-wtv-support.html

Pete

redzone
2009-11-08, 12:03 PM
well since you metnioned lifeextender i took a look last night and found out that it is still possible with in7

since the ps3 and ps3 media center doesn't handle wtv files i used wtvwatcher to convert the wtv files to dvr-ms. then i use lifeextender to remove the comercials its 100% automatic which is great!

wtvwatcher.codeplex.c0m

recneps77
2009-11-08, 06:08 PM
Windows does the conversion natively (wtv->dvr-ms), or so I've heard.
You just right click the file and there should be some options.
I've yet to try, so can't verify right now.

redzone
2009-11-08, 08:38 PM
recneps the program wtv uses the built in coder. although its all automatic as soon as the file is finished recording it converts it to dvr-ms, then lifeextender auto detects the new dvr-ms file and takes the commercials out. no need to convert the fiels by hand

recneps77
2009-11-09, 12:18 AM
Ahh, okay. That works then :p

grandpa_funk
2009-11-09, 07:04 PM
I have just installed DVRMSToolbox along with ShowAnalyzer Suite and 9 times out of 10 it works flawless. Here is the article I followed for this.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/10/22/how-to-automatically-skip-commercials-in-windows-7-media-center/

pbruce
2009-11-09, 10:45 PM
Dude! Glad to hear my app works 100% for you. Nice to see people are spreading the word so quickly.

If anyone wants to check it out, the code, install link, and instructions are at: http://wtvwatcher.codeplex.com

Cheers,

Paul Bruce

Bob_Mtl
2009-11-10, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your comments.

For now I did installed Paul's app WtvWatcher with Lifextender. It works but with some glitchs mainly the container infos is messed out (recording date, duration).

Paul, any clue on what is going wrong? I have installed Win7 64-bit. Have you tried to update the comskip version file included in Lifextender? If so, were results satisfying?

Comments on Lifextender vs other app.
From the research I did so far most application use ComSkip to identify the commercial sequences in file. A text file is then create containing segments information related to the mpeg file. From what I understand for ShowAnalyser and DVRMStool, and all other I found, the job stop there. The text file is then used when playing the video and jump from one segment to the other.
Lifextender, on the other hand, create a new mpeg file with commercial removed and delete the original recording (kept in Recycle bin if needed for whatever reason). The process takes more time as all good segments need to be rewrites in a new file. But the major advantage, particularly for one like me that keeps a lot of movies and shows, is the disk space. That saves a quarter of the disk space; each 3 shows uncommercialized makes room for a free one in disk space.
Please correct me if I am wrong about ShowAnalyser and DVRMSTool.

pbruce
2009-11-11, 07:10 PM
I've also seen this, but this was also before I even got into the WtvWatcher thing. I believe it's an issue with Lifextender. Most of my shows that are uncommercialized by LE come out as saying that they're 1 min long, but are actually the proper length.

Too bad Lifextender wasn't left open-source. I've tried contacting them, but to no avail. I'm glad their software still works and is posted, but no feedback kind of sucks.

Free software man, free software.

Bob_Mtl
2009-11-18, 04:24 AM
Unfortunatly I lost a recording while WtvWatcher processed my recording folder. I don't know exactly what is the issue but the file was deleted when trying to convert it.

So I replaced WtvWatcher with a batch file I found on TGB that is (or seems to be) more robust to any converting error. http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/74286.aspx?PageIndex=1
With TaskScheduler I have set it to run every hour followed by Lifextender.

I really hope that Lifextender will reborn with a wtv version...

redzone
2009-11-18, 10:12 AM
so i have ran into an issue where lifeextender has cut out a piece of a few shows. can anyone share there config file from comskip? or should i try showanalyser (although im not thrilled about paying for it)

klskls
2009-11-18, 11:48 AM
I also had some issues running Lifeextender along with wtv watcher. It deleted some of my recordings overnight when it was processing. To be honest, I didn't spend too much time investigating who the culprit was, I decided to wait for an all in one tool that will work with MC7 formats (lazy and greedy, I know).

kls.

Bob_Mtl
2009-11-18, 12:20 PM
Redzone, I never had issues with the comskip.ini file that come with Lifextender. If you want to tune comskip here is the link; http://www.kaashoek.com/files/tuning.htm.

But first try to identify why part of show are deleted. Is it always on the same channel? Is it just before or after commercials? Could it be the source that is interrupt like OTA cliff?

Even after processing by Lifextender, original files are available in recycle bin if you set option "after processing a show" to "Recycle".

redzone
2009-11-18, 03:48 PM
yah i make copies of the original so i still have it but its hard to tell if you missed something sometimes. i went through the forum and there was some tips for OTA Hd so i will try them tonight when i get home.

I think i just may have too many detection methods enabled in the standard install. I don't think its loss of signal as the channel i was recording never dropped its probably just a false flag. The biggest problem is it wasn't even noticeable since it cut it at a time where dialog was done and it was moving to the next scene. the only reason i knew it cut something off was because i keep the originals.

I will update tonight when i get it working

Bob_Mtl
2009-12-24, 02:54 PM
There is a new version of MCEBuddy that support WTV files.
This application will comskip the file and change the encoding of the file; so the commercial free recording is not available in Recorded TV menu of Media Center.

mrmemario
2011-11-14, 11:53 PM
Is there any way to edit out the commercials using WMC? I'm still using vista and can't seem to find any way to edit out commercials. Thanks

NineBall
2011-11-15, 10:29 AM
There is no built-in way to do this in WMC and as far as I know, andy's DVRMSToolbox is still the best way to go. I am linking to the WIKI page and you can download from the Downloads section.

http://babgvant.com/Wiki/view.aspx/DVRMSToolbox