: Using Mythtv

rlongfield
2009-11-02, 03:40 PM
I thought I'd post to see who else is using Mythtv, what flavour and version you are using, any special plugins and what your main use is. I'd love to compare notes and tips and tricks.

I'll get things started.
My box is a Pentium 4 1.8 with 1 gig of ram. I have a 40 GB HD dedicated for the OS, a 120 GB HD dedicated for Recordings and Live TV and a 250 GB HD for movies, DL content, Pictures and Music.
I have currently an Hauppauge PVR 150 with Cable and a Nvidia 5200 (I think) for s-video out. I don't have an HDTV so I do not need a HDMI output.. yet.

I'm currently in the process of re-building my myth box. In the last year I have suffered a HD failure and 2 failures related to Mythdora so I've started over with an 8.0.4 Ubuntu install and I am getting Mythtv up and running again.

I decided to go with .21, I'm not brave enough to go with .22 yet so I've been doing little tweaks like the tmdb.pl script to replace imdb for covers and movie data.

My goal is to get a HVR-1600, put up an antenna and have myth be my OTA PVR, hopefully I'll be able to get myth to run the rotor that I will need to use.

Wayne
2009-11-03, 06:25 AM
You might be better off with multiple antennas than a rotor. Once you get an HD tuner card you are definitely going to need more hard drive space - unless you watch shows immediately and delete.

rlongfield
2009-11-03, 11:08 AM
Hey Wayne,

Well being located in Kingston I would need, I think 3 or 4 antenna's which is a bit above my my pay grade as they say ;) Right now this is all an exercise in seeing what I can do.
As for more HD space, of course I need more space, I don't think there is ever enough HD space :) Since I do not have an HD TV I won't be recording in HD for a while.
Once I have things working just the way I want and it seems like a good alternative I'll be getting a new machine and setting up a new backend with a lot of HD space :)

stampeder
2009-11-03, 12:13 PM
I thought I'd post to see who else is using Mythtv, what flavour and version you are using, any special plugins and what your main use is. I'd love to compare notes and tips and tricks.You'll find quite a few existing MythTV threads here in the HTPC forum that several of us have used in the past. Check out this one, for example:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=110684

The technical MythTV issues are fine here in the HTPC forum, but your OTA Reception issues need to stay in this OTA Forum thread:

ON - East of Oshawa - Peterborough, Trenton, Belleville, Kingston - OTA (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43167)

cheers

rlongfield
2009-11-03, 12:35 PM
Well this was more of a hardware and what are you doing with myth thread.

rpr
2009-11-03, 08:13 PM
I have been using MythTV for 4 1/2 years, it has been our main method of watching TV for most of that time. My main backend is a Pentium D 2.8GHz machine with 1.5TB of local recording space, and two PVR-150 cards recording off of analog cable. I also have 2 dual tuner HDHR's hooked up to a CM4228 antenna, and an HD-PVR connected to a Rogers HD terminal. I have 1 TB of NAS space for various and sundry (music, pictures, DVD rips, etc). My main frontend is a Zotac ION based machine, the secondary frontend is in the process of being built from an older laptop. I also have it installed on all the regular laptops on the house, just in case. All machines run SVN trunk builds that are usually within a week of current. We are extremely happy with the setup, and wouldn't trade it for anything.