: ISF Calibrated Television and HTPC OS Upgrade

bdgtor
2009-10-14, 12:48 PM
Hi Folks,

Was wondering if someone could shed some light on a quick question I have. I have to profess that I am not very experienced with HTPCs.

My Vista HTPC is attached to my plasma television set. The setup will be getting an ISF calibration next week.

If I upgrade the OS to Windows 7 when released, would the calibration have to be performed again, or tweaked? Hardware would remain the same.

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess the question would also apply to new video drivers too.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur Dent
2009-10-14, 03:02 PM
Short answer - no, you don't need to worry about updated video drivers.
Make sure the input where the PC is connected gets calibrated, and that's it. Even if future updates to drivers somehow mess the picture, your troubleshooting must always be in the driver settings, not the ISF calibrated parameters of the TV set.

jvincent
2009-10-14, 04:04 PM
I mostly agree with Arthur.

I have seen in the past some driver updates that completely borked the video settings and fixing them in the driver control panel added nasty artifacts so the best option was to readjust the TV.

Since you are moving to Win7 you don't really have an option but there's a reason I am running 4 year old video drivers on my HTPC.

bdgtor
2009-10-15, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the advice folks.

jvincent, I'm actually thinking of keeping the PC at Vista for the time being. I'm not having any issues at all, so I guess there's no real reason for me to change to Windows 7 right away. Or maybe I'll try it out, and if it seems to mess things up, I'll revert back to Vista.

Either way, thanks for the advice, both of you.