: Old set going broke, need a new set, your recommendations

rocha
2009-09-10, 12:48 PM
My old Sony (I guess 8 years is now considered old in TV speak) KV-34XBR800 just gave the first signs of giving up. The color board is likely the culprit, shorting out and popping red screens before shutting down the set altogether.

So I am looking for a 50 inch plasma and don't really know where to start. I've read here that some of the Panasonic's and Samsungs are good, Sony's are pricey, and Pionneer out my budget altogether. The TV will be in a brightly sun lit room in the daytime with no direct sunlight on the set though. The viewing area is set wide and close, roughly 12 feet. We watch both sports and movies in equal time. Our budget is between $2-3,000 but the closer to 2 the better.

I want wi-fi, 3-4 HDMIs, at least 2 component videos, and quality video adjustments (I use Avia DVD twice per year on my current set to fine tune). USB or Flascard type reader would be nice but with wi-fi it's not really necessary.

Your comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.

cdn_tbird
2009-09-11, 12:03 AM
I've got a 50" Samsung plasma and love it. Samsung service on the other hand... Well let's just say that had I know what they were like, I'd have gone with another brand.

My family room sounds similar to your room and while 50" is okay for the space (and about 11' away), if I had to do it over again, I'd buy the next size up.

Crash7
2009-09-11, 04:29 AM
Take a look at the Panasonic 50" V10. It was everything you need and then some, you won't regret it.

jlet
2009-09-11, 04:12 PM
My old Sony KV-34XBR800 also went on the fritz at the end of 2008. I replaced it by a 50" Plasma Panasonic TH50PZ850. No regret so far. Note: I wanted the PZ800, but this model (at the end of 2008) was discontinued and sold out.

rocha
2009-09-13, 10:49 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

My current TV is now on the fritz (red screen the moment I turn it on and off it goes).

I have now reviewed my choices and am hesitating between the 50 inch G10 and V10. The G10 will give me more screen real estate for my buck. The V10 is such a nice set...

I have to do this in the coming days, my kids are killing me to get a new one asap.

jumpy27
2009-09-14, 05:24 AM
It sounds like the red gun in your picture tube is shorting, causing the set to go into shutdown. Definitely time for a new set.

rocha
2009-09-16, 12:17 PM
Thanks for comments and suggestions. This and the many other posts I read here, on the AVS Forum and on a few other forums helped me make a very good choice. I finally opted to take all my online information with me to Future Shop and Best Buy, and would you believe it, I got the best deal out of BB. My piece of advice to all, shop around before you buy. I know this has been said on and on, but here is what I got:

TC-P50V10 ($2899.99 list at BB) plus 4 year extended in-home service plan ($599.99 list), delivered the same day, no install, for $2986.64, 24 months to pay, no interest (only the $25 annual card fee for those 2 years after which I will diligently cancel the card, and opt out of the insurance plan within 30 days of receiving my BB credit card).

I was all set to purchase the G10 but when I saw they were going to match the internet pricing I had (verifiable, otherwise it would have been an additional $110 off) I jumped on one of the 2 V10 they had in stock. The funny thing is that they did not have one on the floor.

This Plasma set is just to kill for in our family room. The all glass front is gorgeous, the picture in THX mode is great and I have yet to run my AVIA DVD on it. Can't wait to get a Blue Ray player now. But best of all the whole family is happy.

Crash7
2009-09-16, 06:59 PM
Great choice. I'm sure you'll be just as happy with your V10 as I am with mine.