: New thin models

JamesK
2009-09-07, 05:06 PM
Yesterday, I went to the Canadian National Exhibition, in Toronto, where I saw some of the new TV models. It's incredible how thin the new LCD/LED sets are. I saw one Samsung 55" model, that was only 1.2" thick!

profets
2009-09-07, 09:19 PM
its pretty crazy seeing some of these new LED backlit displays get so thin. i remember seeing some samsung displays earlier in the year in store that looked awesome when mounted.

actually sony has been selling a ZX model this year thats 9.9mm/0.39" thick

JamesK
2009-09-07, 09:39 PM
I recall, many years ago, reading articles about how, in the future, we'd be able to hang a TV on the wall, like a picture. Well, it appears that future is now!

hugh
2009-09-08, 08:33 AM
LED backlighting has certainly reduced the depth of sets, however, the big problem with the superslim sets is the speakers are getting crappier and crappier as they try to make the speakers slimmer too.

My old AM radio sounded better than most of them.

The result is you have to hook these sets up to your A/V receiver and speakers etc for decent sound. This is fine for a home theatre but a lot of people don't want A/V receivers and speakers in a small tv room.

The result is nice new set with terrible audio.

So in many cases, where the TV is not in a dedicated home theatre, I'd prefer a 4 or 5" deep HDTV with decent sound than a 1.3" set with crappy audio.

2009-09-08, 10:49 AM
A sound bar would (possibly) be an option for those circumstances. Of course totally hidden items like an out-of-sight AVR connected to in-wall speakers is as well.

hugh
2009-09-08, 11:50 AM
Possibly but that adds an additional $600 or $800 to the price of your television and gets you back to a system that is 6 or 7" deep.

So what have you gained?

2009-09-08, 12:19 PM
My guess is that the people who have the extra coin to spend to get thin, also have the coin to get good "invisible" sound, like with in-wall speakers and hidden electronics, or perhaps a built in sound bar, etc.

Also, lots of people sacrifice sound to get "sexy looking" equipment. All kinds of people, all kinds of tastes...

Some people just want "bragging rights". You can see them all the time putting the latest cell phone on the table at the bar/restaurant... ;)

nickleinonen
2009-09-08, 05:39 PM
i want a pure monitor.. i don't want speakers. i really liked the sharp se94 model for that reason you could run it with no speakers and it had a nice looking bezel.

i am not a big fan of the edge lit led sets as the local dimming you can get from the back lit led's is so good for the black level.

BigDH
2009-09-08, 07:45 PM
i want a pure monitor.. i don't want speakers. i really liked the sharp se94 model for that reason you could run it with no speakers and it had a nice looking bezel.

i am not a big fan of the edge lit led sets as the local dimming you can get from the back lit led's is so good for the black level.
I'm with nickleinonen on the local dimming. Local dimming sets is the one to be Jonesing for.
The new Samsung 8500 series, (if they ever get around to shipping this set), is only 1.6" thick without the base. Anyone who will drop the coin on a LED set, is cheating themselves of half of the HD experience, if they only use the TV speaker for audio.

grog
2009-09-10, 01:58 PM
i want a pure monitor.. i don't want speakers.
Same here. BTW, something to consider for those who prefer a monitor vs a "TV" are the commercial models rather than the consumer models. That's the route I went for my Panasonic plasma in our family room. It has no speakers and no tuner, it's just a monitor. It also has other goodies like RS-232 control and discrete remote codes for everything, things that are often absent from consumer models. Obviously not for everyone but great to have if you want to start doing things with fancier control systems, etc.

JamesK
2009-09-10, 04:17 PM
It also has other goodies like RS-232 control and discrete remote codes for everything, things that are often absent from consumer models.

My Sharp Aquos has those too, along with speakers, tuner, 6 HDMI ports, computer monitor input, etc.