: Upgrading: Plasma?

tehwob
2009-09-02, 11:32 AM
Ok, currently I have a Sammy 4669 LCD. We moved to a new house that moved the TV from 7ft away from seating to 13ft. My wife prodded me for a bigger TV (I love my wife!)

I decided on a Sammy LN55B640 due to the sitting distance but that got me thinking about a larger plasma display. I've seen a Sam PN58B540 right next to the LCD it in store (BB) and both were visually satisfactory in the store.
Also saw an LG 60PS11 but it was not tuned correctly (at costco) and the image was worse than the same Sam plasma (they had both side by side). I don't expect Costco would tune them correctly. I noticed a lot of glare when up close, but not much when far.

So I really have no experience with the effect of light on a plasma. My viewing room is far from ideal. Here are the conditions:

14' (North-South) x 10' (E-W) - TV on north wall
West wall dominated by 8' bay window with adjustable wooden shutter/slats. Get lots of afternoon/evening light which can be dampened somewhat, light will be at right angles to the screen 100% of the time.

Mostly watch TV (news, tv shows) with 1-3 movies/week. Movies are almost always in the evenings.

Would you recommend the jump to the 58" sammy?
Should I even consider the 60" LG?
Would another screen be recommended?

Would the light wash out the image a great deal, or does the fact that it's right angle help?

I've read about the buzzing issue on the Sam, but I do not expect it to be an issue due to distance.

Thanks for any assistance. The selection process is fun but without being able to take units home and watch them side by side, it's a little hard :)

Steve604
2009-09-02, 03:51 PM
I've got a lot of veiwing time on both Samsung and LG Plasma's specs and what not aside, I just prefer the Samsung

BigDH
2009-09-06, 08:34 AM
I agree with Steve604, the Samsung is the better choice here. The LG 60" has a 3 year old panel in it, the cosmetics and model number has changed a few times but what you have is a 2006/2007 Plasma.

You may want to step up to the Samsung 58B650, is has a more advanced brightness filter than the 58B540, which will benefit you in daytime viewing situations.

tehwob
2009-09-09, 02:26 PM
I have been looking around and saw the 650 - and yes for the small price difference I am liking it better.

A question I can't find an issue to about that panel. I have seen reviewers talk about the a glitch in 1080p/24 mode that causes picture setting changes - has that been corrected yet? I haven't found any indication it has.

Thanks!

1tribeca
2009-09-09, 08:47 PM
Wanna unload the coin for A Pioneer Elite?

David Susilo
2009-09-13, 10:09 PM
I wanna unload my Pioneer Elite for coins :D

But seriously, if the budget is there, you might as well get a Pioneer Elite.

tehwob
2009-09-14, 03:46 PM
The budget I was shooting for was approx $4k all in (if I had to do taxes extra I would) but financed (interest free payments for X months).

I showed my wife the 58" and right next to it was the 63". We stood back at the distance our couch is from the TV and she kept staring and commenting on how nice the "bigger" screen was.

I can't believe my wife is fueling my newfound HT addiction.

David Susilo
2009-09-14, 09:38 PM
count your blessings! my wife is also like that. She's the one who encouraged me to build the dedicated HT with projector, getting the larger screen, use dimmers and Harmony remote!

Steve604
2009-09-14, 11:30 PM
The budget I was shooting for was approx $4k all in (if I had to do taxes extra I would) but financed (interest free payments for X months).

I showed my wife the 58" and right next to it was the 63". We stood back at the distance our couch is from the TV and she kept staring and commenting on how nice the "bigger" screen was.

I can't believe my wife is fueling my newfound HT addiction.
I don't give her a choice, just come home with new stuff, best is when I upgraded my tower speakers,
looked the same as my old 1's just a few inches taller and a couple inches wider,

put the old towers in the closet, got a call at work like a week and a bit later,
"are the speakers in the living room bigger than they used to be?"

Deezeex
2009-09-15, 10:21 PM
I too have the good fortune of having a partner who enjoys the finer things in life such as top-of-the-line electronics. She encouraged me to go big and that $4000 was not too much for a good HT setup. I am sooo lucky! :D