: Wallmounts does price= quality?

Maasai
2009-08-30, 03:29 PM
I'm just looking around guaging prices right now but when I do buy my 46" lcd/plasma I will be placing it on the wall which brings my research to wall mounts. I will more than likely be looking at a simple 15 degree tilting mount but I see a huge variance in pricing ranging from the mid $50 to close to $200 for the tilts.

With the understanding that I simply want a tilt mount is there any real difference between the lower priced and higher priced mounts not concidering slim profiles or swivels?

jul644
2009-09-02, 04:28 PM
what you will notice as you get to the 200$ rang is the wallmouts come with muitiply devices such as an arm to bring the tv out and for what you want i would pay around 100$ just make sure that it looks solid and ask the store reps also alot of brands have the "10,000" warrenty if you wall mount becomes defective. but its pretty hard to mess up making a peace of steel to hold less then 100 pounds

what i would do is first on the wall were you want to mount it use a stud finder to find the studs and if u have very few or some aquward studs then buy a mount that will accomidate.

jayoldschool
2009-09-02, 09:09 PM
Check out monoprice .com

You will be shocked at what you can buy a mount for. They are Canada shipping friendly, as well! I was looking at mounts yesterday online, and the same type of mount that is over 100 at Futureshop, is about 25 at monoprice...

TechieFreak
2009-09-03, 11:55 AM
I'm with Jayoldschool. monoprice(dot)com IS the place to go for wall mounts. They also sell all the audio/video cables you need at amazing prices.

I've bought two of their $25.00 wall mounts, to hold a 40" LCD and a 60" plasma, both are doing their jobs nicely. A couple of my friends have also ordered their wall mounts from monoprice(dot)com. Even after paying about $30.00 for shipping to Canada, it's still cheaper to go this way.

I've also bought many of their HDMI, Component video, Toslink, and audio cables from them, with no problems whatsoever.

Maasai
2009-09-03, 12:04 PM
Yes I saw the monoprice, it actually is the reason for this thread. Basicly when is cheap just too cheap? Are you getting what you pay for at those prices and is it something you want to use when it is the only thing holding your tv to the wall?

BTW you should check out onlybestrated they carry monoprice stuff but you won't get hit with the heavy US to CDN shipping charges. (if mentioning the site is against the rules, please remove with my advanced appologies).

I was thinking looking at a middle of the road price (costco) would set my mind at ease with atleast a percieved sense of quality and also a brick and mortar store to go back to to complain if anything were to happened.

TechieFreak
2009-09-03, 12:30 PM
monoprice wall mounts are quality products.

The bolts useds are made of steel, so is the plate that holds the two brackets, and the brackets mate with "most" TVs (they do state in the description which TVs cannot mate with their mounts, which usually are older sets that didn't conform to the VESA standards).

Some people have complained that the bolts have broken, but it's usually because some people torque them down to the point of shearing off the heads. If your bolting to a regular 2X4 stud, you really don't want to torque down too hard as you tend to dent/damage the drywall and cause nail/screws to pop out on other visible parts of the wall. Just tighten down to make sure that the plate doesn't move, also make sure that you drill pilot holes, makes mounting the bolts a lot easier.

I also maximize the cost of the shipping by adding in a few HDMI cables, which are also very good quality.

I know your concern, they are so cheap but are they really any good? That's big box store talk for trying to justify their needlessly expensive cables and accessories (which by the way have a huge mark up).

Flummox
2009-09-03, 12:46 PM
If you want but I've installed a couple monoprice units (one tilt and one low profile) and had zero problems so far.

I literally did a flexed arm hang / chin up off the upper lip of the tilt mount before attaching the TV. Not a squeek or a rattle.

99semaj
2009-09-04, 04:24 PM
Generally, the Canadian big box retailers gross up mounts and cables several times actual cost. The margin is far far higher than on most other items.

Smart shoppers know to shop around some of the asian importers and other discounters; you should be able to find a quality mount $75 and (well) below.

recneps77
2009-09-04, 04:46 PM
It's the same as the "should I pay more for Monster?" question.
The answer is no.
There's just massive markup on these accessories because they know people will want one and can't get them elsewhere for cheaper. Or then, like yourself, question why the 'other guys' have it so cheap.. perhaps it's an inferior product?

Bottom line: Quality is in no relation to price. You should red reviews and product specs, never gauge it by price alone.

Maasai
2009-09-04, 08:44 PM
Very true recneps77 but you have to agree, when you see a price of $25 as stated above for the same item you see for $80 and up it does give you pause for thought. I will agree with you on Monster though, something like that will work or it won't or the difference will be so small that it's not worth the cost. In that situation though, no real damage will be done to equipment.

Thanks for all your opinions, I'm happy to save money where ever I can and this looks like it will be a good start.

bdoyledimou
2009-09-06, 11:40 AM
I picked up a mount for my 42" Olivia at Factorydirect for $19.99

It came with all mounting hardware, is solid, was a snap to install.

BB,FS and even Wally World had the same bracket starting at $60.

apn
2009-09-07, 06:44 AM
If you're interested in MonoPrice, also check out OnlyBestRated dot ca

You'll find that they stock MonoPrice products at fairly reasonable prices, plus with shipping from the GTA, you'll save time and money.

There are also a number of eBay vendors shipping from the GTA. Again, prices are favorable, but mostly in US$

dogbolter
2009-09-07, 11:00 AM
I am normally a monoprice fan too but the issue with buying a wall mount from them is shipping. Normally their shipping is reasonable because of the nature of their product. A cable can be bent into a shipping envelope. But a large mount which sells for around $25 has $40 shipping cost. I am sure that monoprice is only charging what it cost them.

As an alternative, try factorydirect. They seem to have the same types of mount for the same price (after exchange). I have not seen them first hand, only on the website but I figure they are worth a look.

As far as quality, if you are only looking for something to bolt the HDTV to the wall, the cheaper mount should do everything you need it to. If you want something with a pivoting arm, I would look for something with a better build.