: Confused Newbie...I want cable on my Laptop

sbbamafan
2009-08-28, 11:10 PM
I have a laptop (Core2Duo T7500, 3 MB RAM 250 GB Hard Drive) running Vista Home Premium. I purchased a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick (800e). I tried to run the software it came with but it would not install. I am able to run it on Windows Media Center and, I guess, that is ok since I read bad things about the Pinnacle software. It is running fine when I connect an antenna to it, but I dont have great reception - I realize that is the antenna / placement but that is not my concern now. My current frustration is I am unable to connect to my cable and see any channels. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I want to be able to record a football game next week.

Thanks in advance.
SB

stampeder
2009-08-29, 11:49 AM
If you are in Canada you can only record from analogue cable channels because you will not receive digital (encrypted QAM) cable channels with that device.

Wayne
2009-08-29, 06:48 PM
Unless you get a Hauppauge HD-PVR unit that has component inputs.

TorontoColin
2009-08-31, 12:46 AM
An analog tuner would pick up analog cable. A digital tuner will only do OTA unless you're in one of the rare areas with clearQAM channels.

Wayne
2009-08-31, 04:17 PM
And it makes less sense to do this with a laptop since you will have to be wired to your cable system and the screen size is pretty small. Who wants to watch TV on a 15" screen? The whole point of a laptop is the portability.

TorontoColin
2009-08-31, 05:01 PM
I watch TV on my laptop all the time. It certainly wouldn't work for a group of people, but for just me with the screen on my lap it's more than enough.

Wayne
2009-08-31, 05:02 PM
That's also an effective method of birth control http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17664.php