: TV repair forum suggestion

das75
2009-08-19, 01:55 PM
have a problem with a 12yr old Sony 27" CRT (single channel unclear). Like to get some input to the problem before I see about a repair.

Any good forums out there?

Somewhat relates to HDTV, as if not worth repairing, might be able to convince the wife to get that 42" LCD for the bedroom.:D

KC1974
2009-08-19, 03:28 PM
nope - it's "unfixable" you better get that LCD. You wouldn't want her to miss the next Dancing with the Stars episode would you? ha ha ha - better get an HD-PVR while you are at it too - since there is no way you can have an LCD without and HD source.

eljay
2009-08-19, 03:32 PM
... there is no way you can have an LCD without and HD source.That's incorrect. You can hook up SD (digital or analogue) cable to an LCD TV.

KC1974
2009-08-19, 03:42 PM
That's incorrect. You can hook up SD (digital or analogue) cable to an LCD TV.

Of course you "can" but why would you? I was being sarcastic trying to help the guy out. He needs to tell his wife he "needs" the HD box because the LCD "won't accept" standard cable. hahahahahahaha

eljay
2009-08-19, 03:44 PM
Ah, sorry about that. There weren't any helpful "quotations marks" or winkies ( ;) :p ) to indicate that you were kidding. :)

KC1974
2009-08-19, 03:45 PM
sorry - my bad.....

JamesK
2009-08-19, 05:09 PM
Ummm... Comments like that won't help him convince his wife a PVR is essential. ;-)

TECHNOKID
2009-08-19, 09:02 PM
CRT Sony TVs are of good quality and 12 years for a Sony is not that old actually. What else do you have for home entertainment? Are you actually into HT? It might be worthwhile to get it looked at before you discard it or invest in new. However, if you are salivating over the new technology (plasma, LCD panels) maybe it is the occasion to do the upgrade. You also have to consider that if you decide to keep the CRT rolling for a few more years you will have to invest a few $$ in a digital to analogue converter once the switch occurs in Canada. When you are saying single channel unclear, you mean only one channel with snowy picture? If so, this would be related to the tuner (typical to a Sony TV that is slowly aging). You can call your local repair shop and ask him for the worse case scenario which would replacing the tuner and make-up your mind. How about using the TV in video mode using a VCR or some of the sort to see if if picks up all channels with a good pictures. If so, you could use such alternative until you have to buy a converter as the converter would do the tuning job for the TV.

Good luck!
TK

das75
2009-08-19, 10:32 PM
Already got the 40" LCD on the main floor and 58" plasma downstairs so my arguments have been convincing so far but just getting tired of the remaining Sony.

Problem is only with TV listing channel guide (zapit), picture is totally distorted. All other channels okay. If using the VCR tuner, displays okay. TECHNOKID, you're right though, just leave the VCR on and use that tuner is the easiest. With the remote can't enter in a channel number directly for the VCR and must use the Up/Down buttons, maybe she'll tired of that and see a new TV is solution.

Actually in fairness to my wife, biggest reason she wants to keep the Sony is the remote. The other two displays we have are Samsungs and the field of view for the remote sucks (more on one than the other though). It's narrow and need to point accurately. With the Sony can point the remote even to the wall the TV is facing and it still works.