: Help Connecting to Remote Desktop

ClgShaft
2009-08-16, 08:41 PM
Hey,

I would like to connect to my home computer from work and through my iPhone.

I am running xp pro at home, and vista ultimate on my work laptop.

I am also using a wired router in my house, a dlink ebr-2310. I have tried opening port 3389 forwaded to my home computer ip address. The vista laptop does not connect, and the iPhone says the host colsed the connection.

I have also tried logmein. logmein interested me because of the iPhone app, a little expensive but may be worth it if I can get this to work. I closed the rdp port on my router. Installed logmein on my laptop and home computer. I can connect to my laptop through the home computer, but I cannot connect to my home computer through the laptop. Upon hitting connect I get a blank screen and my home comuter freezes.

I have not tried through the iPhone yet, because I have not bought the app yet, depending on success through the laptop.

Why will remote desktop work when I open the port?

Why is logmein not working on my home pc?

thanks for the help.

Coop
2009-08-16, 10:20 PM
Have you allowed remote access on your PC's in system properties? Then make sure you see remote desktop in your firewall. You'll also need your PC names, user-names & passwords for each pc. Test this between each of your pc first.

cambo
2009-08-16, 11:32 PM
Regarding Logmein, do you have user accounts on the Desktop? This is required for verification when you connect, and it has to be password protected, which means you cannot have it go directly to your Desktop when you turn it on.

Regarding RDP, have you actually enabled RDP on the home Desktop? This is required as you're running a terminal session. Right click My Computer, and go to Properties. Click the Remote tab, and put a checkmark in the remote box (but not remote assistance).

NeilN
2009-08-16, 11:33 PM
Also, make sure that any software firewalls installed on your home PC aren't blocking port 3389.

ClgShaft
2009-08-16, 11:47 PM
thanks for the replies.

pretty much yes to everything, I do however have remote assistance checked.

I can ping the desktop from my laptop, and I can also connect to it through the network.

I have only one user on the desktop, and it is logged in when I try.

ClgShaft
2009-08-16, 11:50 PM
I uncheck remote assistance, and logged off. The computer froze.

again I have no problem connecting to the vista laptop from the desktop.

cambo
2009-08-16, 11:53 PM
I would suggest something is going on with the Desktop. It shouldn't freeze when you log off. A reload in order perhaps?

ClgShaft
2009-08-17, 12:11 AM
it doesnt freeze whe I log off, it freezes when I remote in.

I get a blank screen on my laptop, and I cannot disconnect. the PC has to be turned off manually.

ClgShaft
2009-08-17, 12:24 AM
Ok, I got it.

Using the vista machine I had to diable to the display driver in the logmein preferences.

Now I have to get RDP to work.

Both machines are allowed, and in my router settings I port forward port 3389 to my ip address on my desktop. when connecting I enter the ip address of my isp, and no go.

any suggestions on this?

thanks

Coop
2009-08-17, 01:28 AM
did you add your ip & port# "xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3398"

NeilN
2009-08-17, 01:35 AM
1) When testing is your laptop on a different network than your PC? If they're on the same network then you should use your desktop's internal IP.

2) On your laptop, go to a DOS command prompt and type telnet [ip address] 3389 (no brackets). What do you see?