2009-03-13, 04:20 PM
Not sure if this is the right place or not but here goes.
I brought a toshiba 26" t.v. and I want to hook up my bell 6100 to it.
I have a hdmi/dvi cable hooked up to himi 1 jack picture is great.
When i hook up rca cables(red and white) i get no sound.
Futureshop said the only way i am going to get sound is to hook it up to the PC Audio jack and it will only be analog sound.
If so what kind of cable do i need for that?
What set up do you people have?
Does the 6131 reciever have dvi hookup also?
Any help would be great.
1. DVI doesn't carry audio from the STB.
2. When HDMI is plugged into some TVs it disables the analogue audio input.
3. Some TVs have a setting under audio or HDMI which allows you to override the HDMI audio with analogue audio (red/white). Make sure that the analogue audio cables are plugged into the ports that are "associated" with the HDMI input - some TVs only have one of those, sometimes zero.
4. Use component video to the TV instead of HDMI, along with analogue audio and you'll be fine.
5. IF you want to hook it to the PC, you'll need to let us know what jack(s) you have as input(s) on the PC. If you have a "mini-jack", then you can purchase an analogue "Y" to mini-jack set of cables or an adapter.
6. Please don't cross-post. Your other post was deleted.
2009-03-13, 06:30 PM
sorry for cross posting. but i thought this was a better spot for the questions.
2009-03-13, 06:37 PM
so here is what i did
i hooked up rca cables blue,green,red to inputs under colourstreamhd1.
then i hooked up rca audio digital cables red and white. Now i have sound.
Question Is the sound i am getting analog or digital sound and if it is analog how do i get digital sound?
Thanks for the help
Um, with analogue audio cables, you get analogue sound. The only way to get digital sound is with a digital connection - optical or coaxial audio cables, connected to an AV Receiver for example since most TVs and PCs don't have inputs for digital audio. If the STB had an HDMI output, that would carry digital audio too, but your STB doesn't. For TV speakers, I doubt you'd hear a difference. See the following post on the topic of cables:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections
And the following post useful for those new to the forum and HDTV - search tips and FAQs: