: LF> Is 2 Shaw modem in one House hold Possible?

Devram
2009-03-11, 04:43 AM
Oki guys I need your help....

Currently me and My family is moving for a new space for rent. It is a basement suite. The owner told us that it's cable ready and they do have the whole house connected to the internet. So the issue here is that we do have the connection downstairs but it requires a shaw modem could I just put a shaw modem and will work like a plug and play item or do I need to call shaw and let them activate the serial on the modem..... I do search for an answer in the web and its vague... Hoping for someone here that will help me

Thank you so much^^

Cheers

hugh
2009-03-11, 07:57 AM
A modem must be activated to work. You need to activate the second modem or speak to the owner regarding having internet access in the basement via cat 5

Devram
2009-03-11, 11:39 AM
Is it free to activate a Modem.... I mean if you have a modem that you both on craigslist? I just need to get and let them call to the shaw customer service? How much would be a modem if I bought it from shaw? and how also for a splitter?

Does an amplified splitter from Source by cc will work better? The one that you need to plug-in on the wall

rsambuca
2009-03-11, 11:48 AM
If you want two modems connected, you will need two separate accounts with shaw - one for each modem. At least it was that way about 4 months ago when I checked.

Devram
2009-03-11, 03:32 PM
Really I thought you could just call them and tell them that you want to connect your basement suite connection to the internet?

Anyone wanna clarify this

Cheers

2009-03-11, 03:40 PM
This is a separate suite with a separate family, therefore this should be a separate account with a separate feed from Shaw, otherwise it's account splitting, which is illegal. I'm assuming the owner or another family lives upstairs.

Household - I believe that Shaw works under the old definition of household and not the new one which was expanded to include any number of people in one dwelling. Once a premise is split into "apartments" (suites, whatever you wish to call them), then each suite requires its own account.

(I know that a lot of homes with basement suites do account splitting, but that doesn't make it legal)
In quite a few cases the basement suite isn't legal either. ;)

rsambuca
2009-03-11, 04:49 PM
Really I thought you could just call them and tell them that you want to connect your basement suite connection to the internet?

Anyone wanna clarify this

Cheers
Then they will tell you to use either a router or hub to get internet to the basement. 2 modems, 2 accounts is what I was told during my lengthy discussions.