: Is there an advantage to buying components from one manufacturer?

Atrial
2009-02-23, 04:07 PM
I'm currently looking to build a "reasonably priced" system with a 46" LCD. Everything will be hooked up with HDMI.

I will be getting a PS3 as the Blue Ray player and I am pretty sure that I'll get the Sony HTCT100 soundbar as the sound system. (I know that the sound is not perfect, but my living room is very awkwardly shaped and I can't run cable. Plus the HTCT100 has 3 HDMI ins.)

So I've got two Sony components and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to getting a Sony TV to go with it, or if it doesn't matter. There is the Bravia Sync, but I'm not sure if that works with the PS3. I would imagine that having all Sony would minimize the risk of 'handshake' issues, but that may be wishful thinking.

The two main LCDs I'm looking at are the Sony KDL46W4100 and Samsung 46A650, but I am considering others with similar features.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ScaryBob
2009-02-23, 04:26 PM
The only advantage to using components all from the same manufacturer is that they can't pass the buck when things don't work together. If some components do not work correctly, the best solution is to return them ASAP. That said, it really pays to shop around for quality and price. Sony does not always have the best products and they rarely have the best prices. Search online for as many products, opinions, reviews and prices as you can find. If something is unusually cheaper in the US, you may want to consider a day trip or another manufacturer that has more reasonably priced products. You may also want to consider refurbished or lightly used products from local retailers or surplus stores.

zyad
2009-02-24, 12:28 AM
Buy your TV from a good TV manufacturer (Sony, Samsung)

Buy your receiver from a good receiver manufacturer (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc..., for bang for the buck, check out the Onkyos: The 606 decodes HD audio at a good price point).

Buy your speakers from a good speaker manufacturer (Bang for the buck: Polk, Athena, Infinity etc... stay away from Bose).

There is nothing to gain from keeping the same brand. There are standards that are common across the board such as HDMI 1.3, x.v. / Deep Colour, DTS-HD or uncompressed HD sounds from Blu-Ray sources.

Go for a receiver that can decode the HD audio signals from its HDMI inputs, and you'll be future-proof for a long time.

Claw
2009-02-25, 02:44 PM
At the other end, you've got companies like Pioneer that have some unique features that "sync" everything together - for example they claim to improve CD/DVD quality with their "Precision Quartz Locking System (PQLS) that synchronizes data between the Blu-ray Disc player and the receiver, providing listeners with the ultimate precision in CD playback."

Between their Elite receivers and their Kuros, they also have some kind of funky on-screen interface for configurations as well.

I don't have a Pio Kuro or a BD player, so I can't comment on those - just something I came across when I was doing my research.