: switching to Rogers

hpuck
2009-02-20, 03:37 PM
I am switching in 1 month to Rogers cable VIP bundle. I have been using Bell EXpress Vu. Not really unhappy with it just the channel selection screws up my wife and she wants TBC.
When I called to arrange the changeover I was told I could get analog or the digital box service - roughly the same cost.
I don't need HD.
I have the house wired for multiple cable outlets and wondered whether the digital box option required that each TV have its own box and hence more cost per month?
I would like to hear from you about your recommendation.

Thanks you,
BH Markham, Ontario

worth
2009-02-20, 03:47 PM
I have the house wired for multiple cable outlets and wondered whether the digital box option required that each TV have its own box and hence more cost per month?

If you want the digital channels available on every TV, then yes, you would need multiple boxes.

But you could just get one digital box for the primary set, and use analog cable for the rest.

For what it's worth, on a standard-def set, with a strong, clean signal, I think analog cable actually looks superior to digital.

haystack
2009-02-20, 04:00 PM
I think analog cable actually looks superior to digital.
That's the first time I have ever heard that.
each TV have its own box and hence more cost per month
I think with VIP it only cost for the box and like bell only a monthly fee if you rent. I also think you can trade your receivers.

rRep
2009-02-20, 05:40 PM
VIP is Digital only.. you can't have it without a box.

The price (64.97 as of March 1) includes in that price: 1 SD box and the Digital Services fee (savings of 7.48$ per month).. also up to 4 extraOutlets at no charge (6.99$ savings per month)

2009-02-20, 05:51 PM
VIP is Digital only.. you can't have it without a box.Clarification - you get a free STB with Digital VIP that can be used on one TV, then, as mentioned previously, the other TVs can still tune all the analogue channels that are "authorized" as part of digital VIP. It's not necessary to have a STB on each TV, unless you want the digital channels on those TVs and you can purchase the STBs for under $100 if you want.

http://your.rogers.com/store/cable/ptv/programming/channelLineup.asp Channel Lineups

hpuck
2009-02-20, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback - one more question.
I have a PVR recorder with Bell and was told I could either rent one from Rogers or buy one.
Is there a secondary market and I am guessing I would need the digital box to use the Rogers PVR service.

I had actually hoped that Rogers would offer some kind of inducement to switch to them, but I get the feeling it happens all the time.

Bill

2009-02-20, 11:35 PM
1. Rogers often does have a "ditch the dish" programme. Ask about it and you may get a free PVR for some time period, along with other inducements like free channels.

2. The PVR is a dual tuner integrated unit - no need for a STB. It's the Model SA8300HD.

You need to purchase this from Rogers or an authorized distributor - much less expensive than renting if you don't get the inducement mentioned above.

Please browse through the Rogers forum and the SA8300HD forum for additional information since these sorts of questions are asked a lot.

Please also see the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs and Search Tips:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

boink
2009-02-23, 08:50 AM
they can only offer you a free PVR when switching if you are trading in bell equipment.