: Average Rogers Cable subscriber spends $60.47 / month

Pages : [1] 2

hugh
2009-02-18, 11:40 AM
Rogers issued year end results this year. For 2008, the average Rogers cable customer spent $60.47 per month for cable television with 67% or about two out three cable customers subscribing to digital cable and 24% subscribing to HDTV.

Homes Passed - 3,547,000
Basic cable - 2,320,000
Digital Cable - 1,550,000
HDTV Subscribers 568,000

SensualPoet
2009-02-18, 09:03 PM
It's not that long ago that "digital tv" was considered something exotic. Now 2 out of 3 customers are on digital -- at least one TV in the home is on a digital box. And almost of those 37% at Dec 31 were HD. I am guessing Jan/Feb sees a significant uptick in new HD subscribers ... so that means around 25% of all Rogers TV subscribers -- analog and digital -- are watching on HD.

That's pretty remarkable considering only a couple of years ago many of us here were bemoaning the lack of HD programming in prime time. Now we have services like Newsworld and CNN in HD -- who'da thunk? Not to mention HBO in HD and HD On Demand. The world is shifting under our feet.

It comes at a cost: the old Gerrold converter attached to the TV with a 20 foot cord we used to trip over may have brought us 30 channels of analog TV for under $20 in the late 1970s ... but I, personally, can't complain about the value I get for $60 today on my TV (and, with 2 HD sets, yes, I am paying more than "average"). Then again, a 1979 $20 paycheque doesn't buy today what it did when I had no grey hairs!

mr weather
2009-02-19, 08:34 PM
I'm above average. My Rogers cable bill is just over $77 a month (taxes in). That's for "Extended Basic" and "Digital Mix Pack".

I don't think either is offered anymore.

rRep
2009-02-19, 11:45 PM
Extended Basic is still around; Digital Mix Pack is a Non Promoted service.. meaning if you have it, you'll keep it.. if you don't have it, you won't be able to add it.

mr weather
2009-02-20, 10:08 PM
Thanks for clarifying.

I made the statement because the other day while navigating the Rogers website (almost but not quite as terrible as Bell's website) I did a search on the term "extended basic" and all that came up was some jibberish about Rogers home phone.

What the heck is in the Digital Mix Pack that isn't already included in Extended Basic? I mean, it's $7 a month extra so I would expect something significant.

rRep
2009-02-20, 10:43 PM
I'll take a look when I am at work tomorrow to find out what's included with this Digital Mix Pack, if someone else hasn't posted a response yet.

I do agree it's rather hard to navigate the Rogers website, especially for something like Analogue cable.. it's best to call in or speak to an agent through live chat.

hugh
2009-02-21, 09:53 AM
I'm above average. My Rogers cable bill is just over $77 a month (taxes in). That's for "Extended Basic" and "Digital Mix Pack".

I imagine virtually everyone around here is higher because they all have digital or HDTV.

That $60.47 average is brought down by most of the 800,000 analog only subs

ace66
2009-02-24, 02:54 PM
That average can't be right. I have the sports pack and a pvr rental and I pay $150. Rogers is so overpriced !

hugh
2009-02-24, 03:00 PM
Of course its right. It was published in the company's financial results.

travisc
2009-02-25, 11:01 AM
So ace66, you subscribe to a premium sports package and rent a high-end digital box, and are complaining that you pay too much for these premium services? Why not drop them if you don't like what you pay?

eljay
2009-02-25, 11:05 AM
My wife and I are doing our part to drag the average down: We cancelled both our VIP cable and HD packages a while back and we've been paying just under $49/mo. (and saving roughly $25/mo.) ever since. :)

Beck123
2009-02-25, 11:14 AM
The Digital Mix pack includes BBC World, Movie Time, Gameshow Network, Much Vibe, Much Loud, Food Network (some areas) PBS Detroit (some areas) and Travel & Escape. That package went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.

ace66
2009-02-25, 11:24 AM
I guess I just like my sports way too much :) I should probably ditch the movie network too.

mr weather
2009-02-27, 05:35 PM
The Digital Mix pack includes BBC World, Movie Time, Gameshow Network, Much Vibe, Much Loud, Food Network (some areas) PBS Detroit (some areas) and Travel & Escape. That package went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.
Aaaand I currently watch.... NONE of those channels.

Thanks for the info. Time for a phone call. I've been pissing away that $7 a month for far too long.

mr weather
2009-03-01, 09:12 AM
So I finally called Rogers and spoke briefly to "Emily" or "Roberta" or whatever the voice recognition system is and got connected to a live CSR.

Asked to have the Digital Mix Pack removed. He said "not a problem" and advised me that doing so means I could never have it back (since the pack is no longer available and I was grandfathered). I said "yup" and the deed was done. Took less than 5 minutes from beginning to end.

About an hour later I got an e-mail from Rogers advising me of the change I had made and included attachments about my new channel line up and what my next bill would look like.

I'm impressed. Maybe I got lucky but it seems like they're trying harder.

alebowgm
2009-03-03, 01:59 AM
Nope, I got a similar e-mail today when I made a change on my account (they decided to give me RDS for 6 monthes free since they dont have TSN2)...

Froster
2009-03-11, 12:05 AM
I imagine virtually everyone around here is higher because they all have digital or HDTV.

That $60.47 average is brought down by most of the 800,000 analog only subs
I'm happy to say that I am decidedly below average. I have Digital VIP with one SD box and one HD box, and paying a bit over $42 a month with tax in.

I would not be a very happy customer if I was paying over $60 a month for cable.

rRep
2009-03-11, 10:58 PM
I'm happy to say that I am decidedly below average. I have Digital VIP with one SD box and one HD box, and paying a bit over $42 a month with tax in.

I would not be a very happy customer if I was paying over $60 a month for cable.
VIP 64.97 + HD box 12.95 = sounds like you're gonna be leaving when your promo's end. If you can't adjust to the regular price for your package, maybe it's time to look at another package. OR accept the fact it does cost more to get more....

dmccorm140
2009-03-12, 09:42 PM
I guess I bring up the average. Total bill is $292 per month (but $42 is for high speed internet) the rest is all cable. I have the TMN plus everthing else bundle, sports pak, Superchannel, Hustler Bundle, Playboy Bundle, AOV bundle and Howard Stern Bundle. I think i am getting moneys worth.

rRep
2009-03-12, 10:09 PM
That's mighty impressive, dmccorm140 -- I've dealt with one person who had that sort of package, and he was a TV personality!