: Too Many Channels?

Coasterdon
2009-02-04, 04:03 PM
I find Rogers channel line up to be way too cluttered with duplicates. When I'm surfing the guide I jump past whole sections. Can't they come up with something simpler with each channel only there once and some inherent logic to it?

Also what's going to happen when ALL channels have a matching HD channel? Why would I want any of the SD versions? Maybe they should have 2 feeds. SA or HD and you choose which you want. As if that'll ever happen. They'll probably charge us for both.

Don

hugh
2009-02-04, 04:09 PM
A simple fix would be to allow subscribers to create their own channel listings. Bell, for example, lets you create four lists of favourites.

Bell also has several hard coded lists of stations such as ALL HD and ALL Sub.

2009-02-04, 04:15 PM
The logic of the channel mapping is outlined in the following post which discusses the themes.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=864006#post864006

Many Cable service providers seem to want you to "see what you're missing" in the IPG... Someday, they may adopt something similar to BTV. I suppose they may also stop some of the remapping when they run out of channels.

wysiwyg
2009-02-05, 06:49 PM
I don't care if I see channels I don't subscribe to, just group them properly and remove the duplicates!

Anyone with a digital box doesn't need to see the Analog channels 02-105 (which are remapped to the digital feed automatically anyhow). Also, TSC doesn't need to appear like 3 times in there. HDs just need to show once (in the 500's). Same with the OD channels.

Also (and that's likely a restriction on the STB's end), but it would be nice if that when you tune to a SD channel and the same feed exists in HD that it automatically switched you over to the HD feed or offer your the choice to do so (so many people forget about the HD version and just tune to the old familiar channel as a force of habit). (Press 08 and it takes you/offers you to go to 517)

I regularly watch TV from a French TV Provider via my SlingBox (Numericable in Paris France). It's a pleasure to surf and see channels grouped properly by theme and not a single duplicate...

foggy182
2009-02-06, 04:35 AM
I am thinking very seriously of switching from Rogers to Bell because of the cluttered Rogers guide. I'm actually surprised that more people don't complain about the Rogers EPG. Perhaps they have simply never tried the Bell EPG, and therefore don't realize how much easier it is to use.

Wayne
2009-02-06, 01:57 PM
Rogers is likely doing this to appease customers who are new to digital. Sure they can remove the 2-100 channels for digital but if you are used to TSN being channel 30 then it may annoy you to have to learn that you now have to go to channel 407 (or 503 if you have HD). Quick - what channel is CP24 in the digital range? I know what it is on analog!

scampbell
2009-02-06, 02:14 PM
>>>what channel is CP24 in the digital range? I know what it is on analog!<<<

If I want CP24, I go to 24. If I am flipping through news channels in the high 100s, I am glad it is one of the selections - if I am looking for news in general, I can find it all in one place, without having to go 10 different places in the lineup.

The multiple channel listings can be helpful.

All the HD channels are in the 500s, so I usually look there first to see if something is on. If I want to watch a movie, though, I look in the 300s. I want to see what HD movies there are in with the other movies to ensure I don't watch something in SD that is also available in HD.

Similarly if you are scanning all the timeshifting channels, it is nice to see the HD channels included there.

Jase88
2009-02-09, 04:44 AM
@scampbell: Depending on which box you've got, you're seeing CP24 (on channel 24) in digital anyway....