: Rogers Refusing To Cancel Until End of the Month?

Spungo
2009-02-01, 09:07 AM
As long as I've been with Rogers for cable TV, they have billed on a prorated basis. E.g. I cancel a chanel package June 15th, I'm only charged for half the month.

Now all of a sudden I call to cancel a chanel and they tell me they wont do it until the end of the month. So I'm stuck paying for something I don't want for 28 more days.

Anyone else have this problem? When did this start? And can I do anything about it?

I should be able to, especially considering I tried to call in and cancel it twice in the past week (before the imaginary deadline) and conveniently their system was undergoing "maintenance".

I'm really pissed off with this company right now. I feel like cancelling everything and going OTA.

hugh
2009-02-01, 09:26 AM
Standard operating procedure with most companies. Final billing ends at end of month.

When I transferred to Primus for Internet, I had to get Primus to start a few days before Rogers ended.

2009-02-01, 10:49 AM
This started a few years back. People were changing their packages for a particular programme - say a sporting event and then wanted to pay only the pro-rated amount. This policy eliminates that possibility.

smootherator
2009-02-01, 10:53 AM
This started a few years back. People were changing their packages for a particular programme - say a sporting event and then wanted to pay only the pro-rated amount. This policy eliminates that possibility.
:rolleyes: hehe...yeah why would people want to pay only for what they need..cant have that.

The Watcher
2009-02-01, 04:54 PM
Similar problem I had this week. I wanted to cancel one channel and add another. Told me my bill would be higher next billing date. I explained to him there is no price difference in channels. He said I could not do anything about it. Called another CSA the next day asked for "Accounts" she was very nice said they changed the way they do this and offered me a credit for the extra amount.

I do have the pick eleven package which is grandfathered. I use to add and delete channels occasionally. Their was also a Quam issue with our building where I was paying for something that i could no longer get because of the video cameras. Once this was fixed I got the channel back.

Jase88
2009-02-01, 08:29 PM
It's all about squeezing every cent they can from consumers.

You gotta love corporate greed.

rRep
2009-02-02, 02:12 AM
This wouldn't have been an "all of a sudden" change. It's in your ToS (page 2 of every bill) that downgrades to your services will occur at the end of your billing cycle. As others have mentioned, this prevents people ordering a channel for a specific event.. that's what PPV/VOD is for.

Spungo
2009-02-03, 05:27 PM
What "billing cycle"?

You can add channels every day of the week, all month long, 24 hours a day, and they are billed on a PRORATED basis. I have copies of bills if you want proof.

And this "ordering for one event" is a BS red herring if I ever heard one. I understand not being able to cancel within the first 30 days of ordering a channel, but that isn't what is being discussed in this thread. I've had these channels for MONTHS, they just refuse to cancel them because I called literally 5 hours after January ended. And all this was after I called TWICE the previous week while they were undergoing "system maintenance".

Try to excuse this nonsense from Rogers now that the "ordering for an event" has been exposed as ridiculous.

And I suppose "system maintenance" really means "it's the end of the month and we don't want anyone calling it to cancel".

rRep
2009-02-04, 01:29 AM
Having a copy of the bills means nothing; a CSR can see the same thing. It doesn't discount the fact that you're still not understanding.

To remove a channel, the CSC must select a downgrade date that corresponds with the accounts bill cycle end date.

Since you ask "What 'Bill Cycle'?", I'll explain. You're billed for 1 month at a time. Say your cycle is the 25th of one month to the 24th of the next. If you added a channel on the 1st of a month, you'll be pro rated from that date to the 24th. The soonest you can remove it would be the 24th, which is the date you paid up to. If you decide not to remove it on or before that date, it's billed until the 24th of the next month. This is covered in your Terms of Service as well, if you care to check over those.

I worked all last week; systems weren't updating. The agent told you that because their systems were down, and that's what we're scripted to say. All you had to do was CALL BACK and another agent in one of the other 9 centers would have been able to assist you. Part of the script is "Call back in 2/4 hours" -- if you choose not to, that's not really our fault, is it.

My last point should give you your original answer, since all it seems your concerned about is the charge for another 28 days. If you tell the agent that you spoke with that the previous rep(s) wasn't able to make the change due to their systems "undergoing maintenance", the rep will credit the charge for you, and you get to keep it until the end of your next cycle. Very simple.

XM4243
2009-02-04, 11:37 AM
My two cents. Charging the customer for a channel or package til the end of their billing cycle is a fair business practice as it prevents people abusing the system.

If you call in and the systems aren't working then you should still be able to cancel without any penalty.

boink
2009-02-04, 11:39 AM
downgrade policy has always been the same, and it's always been in the terms of service, it just hasn't been enforced till the last year or 2.

Spungo
2009-02-04, 03:57 PM
Having a copy of the bills means nothing; a CSR can see the same thing. It doesn't discount the fact that you're still not understanding...
I did call back. I said in the original post that I called TWICE the previous week. I guess I should have called a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th time. Like I have nothing better to do that wait on the phone all day, multiple times a week.

And you're saying a Rogers rep lied to me? And even better, the lying is built right into the script.

Lastly, I don't think you unerstood what I was getting at. I understand their policy. I was simply pointing out the total hypocrisy of charging PRORATED when you add channels but refusing to do so when you cancel channels.

2009-02-04, 05:47 PM
So, you'd rather be charged for the whole month when you add a channel instead of just for the days used?

Spungo
2009-02-04, 08:19 PM
So, you'd rather be charged for the whole month when you add a channel instead of just for the days used?
If this really was only a "billing cycle" issue, then Rogers would refuse to add channels until the start of a customer's "billing cycle", now wouldn't they?

Funny how there's no issue whatsoever adding channels mid-cycle.

And again... a 30 day minimum for channel packages eliminates the "special event" Red Herring. It's a cash grab and I don't blame them actually. If I could charge people for things they don't want and have no use for, I guess I would.

kav2001c
2009-02-05, 10:25 PM
Totally depends on the channels (must have something to do with contracts)

I have had specialty channels that Ive dropped mid month & received pro ration

Other channels they always seem to refuse to drop until bill date

(btw on the other side, some channels added mid month managed to generate a full months worth of charges, which tends to strengthen my impression its a contract thing)

Then again, maybe its just the rep I spoke to

Who knows