: Rogers Bills - Gotta Love 'em

Pages : [1] 2

RandyC
2009-01-30, 07:23 AM
I recently bought a cellphone for my son and added it to my Rogers Cable bill to take advantage of bundling. I just received by new bill for both wireless and cable. Man, you need to be an accountant to understand this thing. It appeared that they did not take into account of the fact that I paid my previous cable bill because they charged me for last month's bill. I phoned up Rogers and in the intervening time period waiting in the queue for a CSR, I figured it out. So fine, now I'm happy, NOT.

A couple of days later I get around to paying the new bill through on-line banking. I was just about to pay it when I just happen to notice that the new bill has a different account number. How did this happen? I call Rogers. they said that when I added the wireless, they created a new account for both (but nobody told me this). The old account is only good for cable. So if I paid my new bill via the old account, I would end up with an overpayment on my cable and no payment for the wireless. Needless to say, the no payment for wireless would likely generate interest charges. I'm thinking why didn't anybody tell me this before? I could have made a costly mistake, or maybe Rogers wanted me to make the mistake to generate extra revenue.

The moral of my rant, CHECK YOUR ROGERS BILLS EXTREMELY CAREFULLY, especially if there has been any changes.

Another point. I noticed on the new bill, there is no telephone number to call for inquiries (I had to look up the number off the previous month's bill). Convenient afterthought or by design given the circumstances?

Roger's you don't miss a trick.

Paolo
2009-01-30, 12:36 PM
I consolidated both my Wireless and Cable bills last year. If you do this, your wireless BAN number becomes the primary, so when you pay that BAN you are paying both accounts, because there is a special consolidation code on the account with a reference number to the Cable BAN. BTW BAN means Billing Account Number for you people who dont work in banks/billing inquiry jobs.

hugh
2009-01-30, 12:55 PM
I just received by new bill for both wireless and cable. Man, you need to be an accountant to understand this thing.

Isn't it ridiculous?

I always chuckled when seeing my Rogers bills at how people making that much money couldn't construct an easy to read and sensible bill. The reason they had to create a new number for you and the reason the bill is so convoluted is the Rogers IT systems are so antiquated and they don't have a consolidated view of the customer.

I remember when I worked there Ted wouldn't spend 5 million bucks to create a data warehouse for a single view of the customer. Remember this is a company that is making billions annually!

At the time, that $5 million would have paid for itself in a matter of months

Mythorn
2009-01-30, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry you weren't informed of that, RandyC. That was definitely an oversight on the part of sales representative.

As to the phone number, look on page 3, for some reason it was put there. I did put some feedback through requesting that it change back to page 1, but I don't know where that will go.

If the payment had gone through with the old account number, it could have been fixed, and you would not have been charged any interest due to the issue. It happened to me once, back when I added a cellphone onto my account.

I do apologize again for the bad troubles you have had in regards to customer service, though.

DonR
2009-01-30, 03:49 PM
I always chuckled when seeing my Rogers bills at how people making that much money couldn't construct an easy to read and sensible bill.

That's probably because they don't want to make their bills easier to read. It is easier to manipulate customers when they are kept in the dark.

ve3sy
2009-01-30, 07:41 PM
Also check the due date when you make changes. I got caught on this as they moved the due date up by one week causing my bank payment to be late. They did wave the late fee but Caveat Emptor.

boink
2009-01-31, 09:47 AM
even if you had made a payment to your old account #, it is still linked to your one bill account#.

the payment still would have been received and gone to your new account #.

it's not some scam that they are making money from.
:)

RandyC
2009-02-01, 07:45 AM
even if you had made a payment to your old account #, it is still linked to your one bill account#.

the payment still would have been received and gone to your new account #.

it's not some scam that they are making money from.

This is not what the CSR told me. I asked that very question and he confirmed what I said earlier, ie there would no payment for the wireless.

As a matter of interest, I checked all my bills to see if there were any changes in account number and found that my Bell bill had a different account number than when I originally setup online banking. Even though I still used the old account number for payments, it still shows up in my new account. I recall that Sears does this too. So, Roger's, being such a large and technologically advanced company, they are still in the stone age when it comes to billing and customer service.

hugh
2009-02-01, 09:36 AM
It forever amazes that Rogers Bell etc just blithely ask people to change the billing numbers etc.

They could easily program a legacy number to redirect to a new account number at no inconvenience to the user. The cost would be negligible and would result in far fewer billing issues and wasted CSR time and calls.

Unfortunately, these decisions are typically made by a senior manager who has no idea what the impact of the decision will be and never bothers to investigate saner alternatives.

Jase88
2009-02-01, 08:27 PM
Rogers proceeded with "bundling", despite having multiple and incompatible billing systems (each for cable, wireless, etc). A specially designed "background process" was cooked up to enable the bundling aspect of billing. Unfortunately, since all of their billing systems are both antiquated and incompatible with one another, there are often errors.

Therefore, the advice to closely check your bill is very accurate.

andrew.r
2009-02-02, 02:29 AM
What puzzles me with Rogers antiquated and apparently deliberately convoluted billing system is that the "mistakes" are always favorable to Rogers?

Has anyone experienced it any other way?

rRep
2009-02-02, 02:37 AM
I experience it daily when someone's promotion ends before their billing cycle. Since we can't downgrade the channel/package until the end of the cycle after the promo end date, we end up crediting the difference.. resulting in a customer recieving up to an extra 29 days of content free of charge.

andrew.r
2009-02-02, 02:57 AM
I pay my bill annually so as not to deal with Rogers monthly. I don't make changes that should result in additional charges or otherwise. But each year is a headache and wasted time on the phone with a CSR "crediting" mistakes.

Fine, give me a free promo but don't start adding it to my bill "unless I call to cancel" do it automatically "unless I call to retain".

And what I would like to see is not some extra days of something that I don't want nor care to watch if paid to do so but rather to be able to see what I do pay for and can watch, that is an IPG that shows subscribed channels.

It seems to me that Teddy was not only a savvy business entrepreneur born rich but also a greedy old plick.

boink
2009-02-02, 09:01 AM
they said that when I added the wireless, they created a new account for both (but nobody told me this

but you said this earlier, and when this is the case, the money WILL automatically transfer over even if you paid the old cable account #. so unless some rep manually created you a new account for wireless(which I can't understand why, cause it's a lot more work to do, and they would have had to grab all you ID over again). then the current rep who told you the money woudn't transfer over was incorrect.

Even if that second scenario happens, and for some odd reason the transfer does not occur, all it takes is a call to consolidated billing to manually move it over, and they would waive off any late fee that occured because of it.

hugh: They could easily program a legacy number to redirect to a new account number at no inconvenience to the user. The cost would be negligible and would result in far fewer billing issues and wasted CSR time and calls.

That's exactly what it does, as long as it's done properly, and it takes little brain power to do it, although problem being not everyone has that minimum requirement:D

gabagoo
2009-02-07, 07:39 PM
according to Rogers 12 page invoice I save over $700.00 a month!!! My bill is only 300 per month, are they nuts?

tablo
2009-02-07, 08:03 PM
I recieved Rogers bill wrong when I lived in Mississauga(it was condo), and it was other persons', and total bill was like $1000~2000 including all those Cell phone, etc. but cell phone was the most expensive. I know it's off-topic but just saying :)

rRep
2009-02-08, 12:41 AM
Try a $36,000 bill.. for one month. It wasn't all valid charges though.

Highest bill for valid charges.. $7900. Customer didn't pay in 2 years and he was never cut off (for reasons unknown).

kav2001c
2009-02-09, 09:01 PM
Dont bother even beleiving the bills either
I called to complain once that my bill said a certain amount
The rep told me not to worry they were only going to charge my credit card a differant amount (which they were correct)

Why on earth would a pending credit not show up on a bill?
I can understand the argument that 1st month was applied too close to bill date, but now they dont even mail me the bills (they are all electronic) so the nonsense about printing the bill is just that

boink
2009-02-09, 09:31 PM
the pending credit would not show up on a bill because it was most likely added to the account after the bill was already printed.

they can see it in the system, but it won't actually show up, or process till the end of the cycle. most billing systems operate this way, eveything processes on the one cycle end date, and any charges or credits done afterwards may show up in the system, but not actually count against the balance till the next cycle.

consolidated billing can unfortunately compound this problem as well...

rRep
2009-02-09, 10:07 PM
Dont bother even beleiving the bills either
I called to complain once that my bill said a certain amount
The rep told me not to worry they were only going to charge my credit card a differant amount (which they were correct)

Why on earth would a pending credit not show up on a bill?
I can understand the argument that 1st month was applied too close to bill date, but now they dont even mail me the bills (they are all electronic) so the nonsense about printing the bill is just that
2 things:

1) When you're on MACC (Monthly PreAuthorised CC) you don't get a bill. Go online and they are there.
2) Think of your wording.. you asked why PENDING credits won't show up on a bill.. it's because they are pending, not current.