: HDABC 527 and HDCBS 528 blacked out in Ottawa

Pages : [1] 2

foxfan
2009-01-20, 12:22 AM
Just a black screen (doesn't say no signal or not subscribed). Any one else getting this problem?

On a related note, I noticed the SD channels are still being received over-the-air from the analog broadcasts in Detroit. When will Rogers or CANCOM (whoever gets them) make the switch? For the HD channels, do they know Fox is moving from channel 59 to channel 7? I hope there won't be too much downtime next month.

janwendr
2009-01-20, 09:21 AM
I had the same here last night. It seems to work this morning again though

Steele-in-HD
2009-01-24, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem. Called tech support. They sent a repair guy. He replaced a bunch of cables and it works fine now.

He said that they are the 2 most difficult channels and if they go it indicates a problem in the cable wiring in the house.

Castorfache
2009-01-25, 12:03 AM
Um...chances are the tech was just blowing smoke.

Whereas those two particular channels have had problems in the past, the have been pretty steady over the last year or so.

The real issue in Ottawa has been the SDV changeover. This has not gone over as seamless as Rogers had hoped it might have. They have been dropping packets and losing blocks of channels. The channels mentioned here were among those lost for a while.

To make matters worse, the system was unable to make clean connections to end points (i.e. your box) so if you tried to reboot you were likely faced with more problems.

You may have had some signal degradation in your house and replacing the cable was a good idea, but chances are it had nothing to do with the loss of channels you experienced.

Steele-in-HD
2009-01-27, 10:33 PM
Channels were not working when he arrive for for the previous week.
He replaced the coax cable to my box and those channels worked.
Maybe it was a coincidence?

Rogers also gave me the time shift HD channels until the problem could be fixed.

I guess my advice is to call in and have them fix it. Worked for me.

vilmark
2009-01-27, 11:53 PM
these two channels werent working for me this morning so I also called and rogers sent out tech and they took one look and said signal strength. (I had checked that earlier and had qam readings of -13 and -14 on those two channels. Anyway they added a booster just behind the cable box and they came in no problem. After they left I checked signal strength again and got -1 and -3. The only problem is that alot of my other hd channels jumped from 1 to 11 will this be a problem later

Jase88
2009-02-01, 09:20 PM
Is it possible a Senators NHL game was being broadcast?

If so, the networks routinely black out broadcasts of these games in Ottawa to "encourage" people to attend the games in Kanata.

Jase88
2009-02-01, 09:22 PM
Another possibility is that these are "ingress" channels in Ottawa.

"Ingress" is defined as external over-the-air RF signals getting into the cable system and interfering with channels on the cable network on the same frequency. This usually occurs with poor wiring, connections, connectors, etc.

rawd
2009-02-10, 10:40 AM
I have a SA8300HD and for the past week certain channels do not display anymore. HDSNT, HDCBC, for example. They show up completely black.

I called support, rebooting the terminal didn't work. He is saying that the signal may be too low to show those channels. Other channels show up perfect though.

I've never had a problem with the box or my cable line and I've had HD for over a year now. Could the terminal be the issue?

2009-02-10, 10:59 AM
It's probably signal strength. Measure it and the S/N Ratio, as indicated in the following post. If it's low, then you'll need a service call, or to perhaps do some minimizing of splitters in your home which cause signal loss.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Certain channels (frequencies) can be affected more than others.

rawd
2009-02-10, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. But the strange is that nothing has changed in my setup. This doesn't make sense to me

PlaceHolder
2009-02-10, 11:54 AM
Most things affecting signal strength are NOT part of your setup. Perhaps a worker has been recently working on the equipment that feeds the signal to your house... somewhere between the head end and your house. Maybe snow or ice has caused a problem, loosened a connection. Maybe a new customer was hooked up in your neighbourhood... who knows. Since you didn't make any changes, its more than likely either your equipment is failing or something out of your control has happened. Once you have eliminated that it could be the equipment you do control, time to get Rogers to check the line for problems.

rawd
2009-02-10, 07:00 PM
Hi these are my findings. I've disconnected everything from the only splitter in the house

Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB
Power Level -13 dBmV

Also placed a call with Rogers and they are coming out.

Still missing a bunch of channels

2009-02-10, 07:03 PM
You don't need to disconnect anything from the only splitter. Once the splitter is in the circuit, then the signal loss is there. You can reconnect your other devices - having them on or connected does nothing.

Your signal could obviously be better and the service call should take care of that. As mentioned above, often things just happen, without you doing anything much - someone can dust and slightly move a cable causing a poor connection, etc.

rawd
2009-02-10, 07:24 PM
Right on. Again, thanks for the help.

rawd
2009-02-13, 06:26 PM
Update on this, Rogers tech replaced the old splitter with a newer one. Now at -6. Wierd how it worked for a year then decided to crap out. But HD is now fully back and operational

7FC
2009-02-20, 10:19 PM
Problem has nothing to do with connection. I have the same problem .channel failed on the dot 7.15 pm. the same channels.

they had sent many tech and every tech said it is because Rogers change their software in delivering programs.

Rogers is playing with limiting customer access to certain channels. Their customer support drive me nuts when they just go throught the script. they are wasting their money sending tech. Instead, they could say they have failed in their system change.

Tonite, I called the Rogers on 7.14pm..because I know it will fail on 7.15pm..and it did.

The girl oh this oh that. must sent someone to look. U know what within 5 seconds, the channels come back and did not die at all.

They are robbing tom and give it to harry. they over sold they bandwidth.

I am looking into move to Satellite. but not Bell.

7FC
2009-02-20, 10:28 PM
I really find the call centre girls keep saying nothing wrong with their system..The two channels die fro last three days exactly around 7.15pm.

she wants to send tech to my house and I said go fix outside, not inside the house because everytime they come in. The tech will say it is not the cable it is the main system.
Rogers over sold their bandwidth since NOV last year. They did not invest to have better bandwidth.

Sending tech is just a waste of money and smoke screen. If they could not solve problem soon. bye bye rogers. I paying a $100 dollars a month.

I hope at least their management behave honorably to say they have a problem instead of saying our wiring has a problem.

I think if lot more people get rid of Rogers , they may move fast to improve their network.

7FC
2009-03-06, 11:13 PM
Lastnite both ABC 527 CBS 528 breaking up and disappeared for hour starting from 9pm here at Ottawa.

I was watching ABC Grace anatomy..It really annoying.

Limech
2009-05-19, 01:46 AM
Getting this problem right now in Ottawa again.
ABC West, NBC West, ABC East and CBS East all goners as of yesterday.

Had some problems with the PVR anyway (bunch of weird numbers starting with h going around).

Hopefully I reset it during an upgrade of some sort and it will try again, get up to date and start working fine soon cause this is annoying.

Yes, checked all my wires and even removed the splitter for pvr / vhs since I don't use the vhs anymore anyway and still the issue is there.