: Why Same Station On Different Channels?

lharvey
2009-01-18, 10:23 AM
I don't get the channel numbering. PBS SD is on 61 and 161. PBS HD is on 530 and 525. AMC is on 55 and 324.

Why are the same stations repeated on different channels? P

scampbell
2009-01-18, 10:43 AM
The channel numbers under 100 are there for the benefit of analog subscribers, who can't dial up past 110 or so. The alternate channels are to put the channels in with related channels (for example near the other movie channels for AMC) for digital subscribers.

Not sure what the deal with PBS is. I think there used to be a PBS West on one of them.

2009-01-18, 10:52 AM
To add to what scampbell stated above, the various channels are "remapped" to various other locations on the dial to be put into "themes". If you look carefully, you'll see that there are themes like kids, sports, news, movies, learning, Multi-cultural, French, etc. This makes it easy for people with certain interests to find all the "similar theme" channels. This remapping uses no additional bandwidth. If you download/look at the channel lineup for your location on the Rogers website, you'll see these "themes" in the channel lineup (link below).

525 and 530 were separate channels once (east/west), however, since PBS really only has one HD feed, Rogers decided to make them both identical and save some bandwidth. All the HD channels are also "together" in the 500s, with many of them remapped to various theme areas.

http://your.rogers.com/store/cable/ptv/programming/channelLineup.asp Rogers Channel Lineup Link.

lharvey
2009-01-18, 11:48 AM
PBS must have more than 1 feed because SD PBS (61, 161) has different programming than HD PBS (525, 530). The whole thing is enormously confusing and Rogers doesn't lift a finger to explain anything. It is very irksome.

2009-01-18, 11:55 AM
I said PBS only have one HD feed - it comes mainly from PBS Central. The SD affiliates all have various (local) programming, however, the HD stuff all ends up on PBS central at one time or another, which we currently receive via Buffalo (or Detroit). Buffalo or Detroit may inject the occasional programme that they produced into the lineup (or at pledge time). If you want to watch SD, watch the SD channel...

Irksome? It's "explained" if you look at the channel list (I provided the link, as does Rogers).

BTW, You're welcome for all the information.

Jase88
2009-02-09, 03:46 AM
Frankly, I believe (from having worked at Rogers myself for years) that channel duplication is simply to give subscribers the perception that they're getting more than they actually are.

ceansor
2009-02-12, 08:21 PM
One of the primary reasons I recently subscribed to HD from Rogers was the poor quality of the PBS SD feeds from Buffalo, Detroit and Seattle. I had noticed that both PBS HD channels carried identical programming, but were different from the PBS SD programming from Buffalo, Detroit and Seattle. Within a day or so of having HD, both PBS HD channels started carrying the Buffalo PBS SD lineup and, while I am a novice to this, my eyes tell me it is not HD. The other clue is that the shows in 16:9 format don't fill the screen like the 16:9 format shows on the other HD channels do.

2009-02-12, 11:40 PM
Please see the following thread on the topic and post there if you have any more questions or comments on that topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=98173

This is not the thread to discuss that topic.

Wayne
2009-02-13, 09:04 PM
Frankly, I believe (from having worked at Rogers myself for years) that channel duplication is simply to give subscribers the perception that they're getting more than they actually are.While the skeptic in me wants to agree with you, I don't think that is the case. The Theme grouping does make some sense - I have HD and I like sports and movies. I rarely stray from the 300s, 400s and 500s. If we didn't have the HDs all grouped in the 500s then it would be a pain to find the HD channels. And if you see that something is on Sportsnet it is nice to be only a Channel Up away from seeing if it is in HD on Sportsnet HD.

I do think that the HD grouping will become somewhat redundant because I would hope that before long all channels will be in HD.