: I was promised a hdmi cable

quest
2009-01-17, 12:05 PM
I know that Rogers never provides a hdmi cable for a new hdtv connection, but when I was confirming the order over phone, I asked whether rogers will provide hdmi cable during installation, the agent did say that they will provide...but on the day of the installation I never got one...what are my options shall i call rogers? (I do not know the name of the agent/nor do I have a order no)

Alan Toronto
2009-01-17, 12:22 PM
What is "a new hdtv connection" from Rogers? Do you mean that you got an HD tuner box or PVR from Rogers? AFAIK, Rogers supplies just component cables with their boxes, as they do not officially support HDMI. Like many other Rogers customers here, I simply bought an HDMI cable myself to connect the PVR to my TV.

boink
2009-01-17, 12:31 PM
you were likely talking with someone who had no idea (which is sad these days) but many people don't know everything about HD yet, who likely though you were talking about HD cables.

rogers doessn't even have them to my knowledge.

they are like 5-10$ these days bought at the right plce, if you want to try and yell and scream for so little by all means, but as you said you were already aware that it didn't have it so...

SensualPoet
2009-01-17, 01:02 PM
Rogers fully supports HDMI; in earlier years they did not. They even sell HDMI cable kits in their Video stores at prices comparable to the big box stores. The kits include 1 or 2 HDMI cables and various adapters and extras for DVI, etc. HDMI cables are not provided with hardware rental or purchase.

You do want to get an HDMI cable -- I don't know about $5-10 (mail order?) but I have seen them in the $20ish range, again in the big box stores; shorter lengths are cheaper and, as this is all digital, they either work or don't work so don't be fooled and buy the more expensive ones.

But do get one: it replaces five cables (3 video, 2 audio) and, once plugged in, you're done.

boink
2009-01-17, 03:00 PM
yeah, i've seen them that low at some online stores.

I laugh at the folks who pay 50-100$ for them:D

quest
2009-01-17, 04:21 PM
thanks!..i just wanted your opinion, will buy one(the <=$20 ofcourse :)

DonR
2009-01-17, 07:50 PM
Rogers fully supports HDMI; in earlier years they did not.

Just a couple of months ago, I had a Rogers technician come to my place to check some of the issues I reported. He wanted me to unplug the HDMI cable from the box, and connect my TV through component video cables instead, to see if the problems will remain. His explanation was that Rogers DOES NOT officially support HDMI connection. Of course the problem had nothing to do with either HDMI, or component cables, but that's a different story.

With regards to HDMI cable replacing multiple video and audio cables, that is generally true, of course, but keep in mind that if you use only 1 HDMI cable between your box and the TV, you most likely will not have surround sound, the way it should be (coming from a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver and distributed to your surround sound speakers). Something like a combination of 2 HDMI cables and an appropriate receiver, or 1 HDMI cable and 1 either optical, or coaxial digital audio cable, plus a receiver, might be a better solution, to get that desired home theatre effect.

IMHO, the difference in picture quality between HDMI and component video connection is only marginal. I'd still say that the HDMI connection gives a somewhat clearer (brighter) picture, but that is barely noticeable.

RandyC
2009-01-18, 08:15 AM
I also was going to use HDMI to connect my PVR to the TV but since I already had component from the box to the TV I wasn't sure if the expense was worth it. I bought a cable and compared between HDMI and component and didn't see much of a difference. So I kept the component cables for the PVR but used the HDMI between my DVD player and TV. HDMI is necessary for upconverting. Since I also have a 5.1 sound system, the DVD player is programmed so that the HDMI only passes video.

leeanne172
2009-01-18, 08:56 PM
I get my cables at Monoprice, never had a problem with them and super cheap ;)

doconnor
2009-01-19, 11:32 AM
You can also get inexpensive HDMI cables at Active Surplus Electronics, 347 Queen ST W, Toronto.

guzuta
2009-01-19, 11:50 AM
I thought the whole point of HDMI is that it also carries audio. If you are just using it for video, there is no reason to switch from component.

RandyC
2009-01-19, 12:31 PM
Guzuta, to upconvert on your DVD player you need to use HDMI cables. You can't upconvert using any other cables.