Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How satisfied are you with this retailer?

• Extremely Satisfied

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Extremely Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 35.0%

Review: Sears

19K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  cabinboy 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Sears.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

#2 ·
Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

#3 ·
I am quite dissapointed with Sears. They had a sale in their Outpost store last week.....take an additional 40% off!
I found a great deal on a leather jacket, and ordered it, with me to pick it up at my nearest Sears. It sold out online very quickly after I had ordered mine.
I went to pick it up at my local Sears today, and the very kind lady behind the counter went to grab it for me. She came out with a bag marked with my tag, saying my name with "Black Leather Bomber Jacket" on the tag. Inside the clear bag she had, was a beige ladies blazer. The service lady was fantastic, looked everywhere for my mistagged jacket, called the warehouse, but, as I thought, the item was sold out, so I was offered a refund.
...plus a ten dollar gift certificate.
Again...the service person was fantastic......but......who is the moron packaging the items?

#4 ·
I gave up on Sears after receiving a number of defective goods that had obviously been repackaged and resold. Then there are the products that are overpriced so they can be put "on sale." Buyer beware with Sears mail order, at least in Canada.

The outlet stores are not always a good deal either. Seconds or discontinued products are available for 40% off but don't forget that they often sell some of those products for 40% off in the regular catalog.

#5 ·
I find I have to be very selective with what I buy from Sears. You can catch some good deals and I regularly haggle with the sales people in electronics and can usually get them down on the price. I don't find them pressing overly expensive accessories though.

Along the lines of what ScaryBob pointed out about their "on sale" practices, I remember a few years back they were fined a hefty amount for habitually running so called sales and never really having most items at regular price long enough to validate their claims of having something on Sale. It stops becoming a sales price when it's on "Sale" all year.

#6 ·
i've gotten some great deals on the outlet online, but i have been pooched there before. i got a good deal on some leather casual shoes, so i ordered 2 pair [black & brown] didn't check them until i got home. opened up the brown ones and they were right size color and they fit great. opened up the black ones that were labeled right on the box [size & color] but inside was a pair of pink ladies sandels. had to drive back to the mall where i picked them up and return them. tried to get them to reorder the black ones but not in stock anymore.. some of the stuff on the outlet site is higher than regular street prices from other retail stores [tools & electronics]

#7 · (Edited)
I am very happy with Sears. My latest purchase, at what I thought was a very good price, was a Sectional Sofa for my movie room. The wife and I looked everywhere for the perfect one that would be right for us. We spent weeks visiting low-end to high-end stores and found nothing. What I felt was to be my final day looking, we were travelling down the Deerfoot past Deerfoot Meadows, in Calgary and I saw Sears. The wife and I both never thought of looking at Sears, don't know why, just didn't thnking of it I guess.

Anyway we went inside; low and behold we were there no more than 10 mintues and we had found the perfect sectional, the right size along with the correct colour. We purchased it on the spot. The sales people were very nice and the purchase was painless. The only problem now is that when I go to watch a movie, the sofa is so comfortable that I have tendency to fall asleep.

Regardless it's a great couch and it was a hassle free purchase from Sears.

#8 ·
I remember a few years back they were fined a hefty amount for habitually running so called sales and never really having most items at regular price long enough to validate their claims
Sears often has items for up to 40% off. The problem is that the "introductory sale price" is typically equal to the retail price anywhere else. It goes like this... Introductory sale price, then "full price" for a short time and then a clearance sale. Many of these items are Sears brands so its difficult to prove what the real price should be. I've seen the occasional brand name that was a good deal but Sears regular prices are typically full retail or higher.

#9 ·
You can catch some good deals and I regularly haggle with the sales people in electronics and can usually get them down on the price. I don't find them pressing overly expensive accessories though.
They dot't have to press the overly expensive accessories. The major items are expensive enough. When I was shopping for a Blu-ray player recently, they had a Samsung player at twice the cost of the same item at Future Shop. I learned a long time ago, that you don't want to buy electronic equipment and department stores.

#10 ·
Bought 4 major kitchen appliances, they price matched and beat by 10% Futureshops online sale that had ended the day before.... They dropped about 1800$ from there prices to the FS prices and included free delivery... Pretty positive buying expereince. I much rather deal with adults 30-50 vs the fresh out of skool kids of FS when spending a few thousand dollars.

#11 ·
I bought some pine furniture from Sears online with delivery. One box came to my door, one to the catalog outlet due to weight. Shipping and ordering was good, good customer contact regarding the time to arrive.

The furniture unfortunately was horrible - stated as real wood, was not, doors were different sizes, different colours of laminite for the trim, etc, etc.

However - Sears was excelllent to deal with - when I first spoke regarding the real wood/particle board issue they said they would talk to buyers/suppliers. Called me back the next day to inform me the website description would be updated to state solid wood drawer fronts. When returning both pieces due to the issues they were great on the phone and in the catalogue depot.

I may not buy the "web only" items again, but I would recommend Sears for their service.

#12 ·
My wife and I purchased a sectional sofa and a reclining chair from Sears back in March. They requested full payment on both pieces, as we were getting a custom order (off standard colour). Full payment left me with an uneasy feeling, but assumed that since I was dealing with a store the size of Sears, I shouldn't have any issues. I was promised 4-8 weeks for delivery.

Needless to say, I still don't have my furniture. The sales rep that I bought from has not really provided an explanation as to when I will get my delivery -"backordered" with no timeline. I've called Sears Customer Service - they indicate August (for a March purchase), indicating that is tentative.

To date, I've been pretty calm about this, as I understand "stuff" happens when ordering outside the norm. However, this is starting to verge on ridiculous. Not impressed.

#13 ·
^ I ran into this once before too. Long wait after paying upfront. Continual change of expected delivery date. Eventually they sent something that was similar, but not quite the same. It would have sold for less than I paid, and I think they were trying to get rid of what they sent. Nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't what I ordered and what I paid for. I got the distinct impression they were trying to wear me down. However, I *did* agree to what they sent, sight unseen, and they probably would have taken it back. It's the process that was most annoying, not like Sears CS of old. I also get the impression they advertise and "sell" stuff they don't have, that they don't have nearly the control over their suppliers like they did in the "old days" when tons of the larger stuff they sold was made in Canada...

#14 ·
I have mixed feelings about Sears. We moved from a major centre, where high end appliances abound, to Annapolis Valley, NS, where closest high end centre is Montreal. We thought Sears a safe choice, since many other Calgary high end options weren't going to work in the Maritimes. Sears did OK but not great. We got our 15K worth of appliances late and the dryer was dented. They sent the wrong range hood; they sent the wrong icemaker. Other than that, after almost a year now, we might soon have our ice maker but I just had a message it would be delayed another month.

The strange thing is how the commissioned sales work; we had to deal with Sears in New Minas, NS over the problems and they got no commissions but the guy who caused the problems and got the big commission was back in Calgary, selling like crazy to others. The last icemaker issue resulted in the Sears agent in Calgary no longer returning our calls.

Two more issues: When we had to return dented dryer we had to pay for a new one and wait for refund on the dented one, carrying charges for both. The same applied for the range hood. Then, the sales rep went on holiday and we didn't get the refund for over a month, apparently, because the store manager found the claim on her desk, had no no idea why, and let it sit there. Try that approach in a real job like healthcare. My former students would have loved that excuse for late posting of their grades too.

Sure, I'm being unrealistic but I think a dollar spent in Nova Scotia should be as good as a dollar spent in Calgary, taxes included. I shouldn't need to pester employees in NS to get the service owed by Sear rep in Calgary either.

#16 ·
There seems to be a common theme here. Sears is overpriced, even during "sales". I used to buy from them quite a bit, mainly tools and mainly only during sales or markdowns. Sears is an odd mix of quality with value, and junk with rip off. For example, I used to require white shirts for work and sears sold a great cotton shirt, well made thick cotton for about $20 and I was happy for it. Need shoes though and its a different story. Cheap vinyl construction for designer leather prices. I actually found the exact same shoe in a payless shoes at the same mall for half the price and it wasn't on sale. Not that it mattered, I stopped buying plastic shoes when I was 8, but I was dismayed that I even found them in a Sears let alone at twice the price.
Sears seemingly depends on the older generation for their sales now, people who shop based upon old habits not dieing. I often go in , but rarley buy now.
Even tools, like screwdrivers or wrenches. I switched those purchases to Canadian Tire unless there's a sale. I get the same warranty, better quality and a lower price. Whats more, if I had a broken ratchet wrench, I was given parts and told to fix it myself, if they had them in stock. If the parts wern't in stock i would be told to come back next week which usually translated to going to Canuck rubber and just buying a new one because at Sears next week never comes.
to break it down:
Pros:
Sears has a lot of stuff and their own credit card.
Cons:
Sears has a lot of stuff that everyone else sells for less and a credit card with interest rates that make you feel like you just spent a year in prison wearing a miniskirt and no underwear.

The scariest thing is that I see so many retired people shopping there without a second thought. Wake up people, this ain't the Sears of the 50's, 60's or even the seventies. The quality went down but not the prices.

#17 ·
I 100% agree with the above statement. It isn't the good old Sears it use to be. It is overpriced like always, but the quality and customer service is way down.

Ordered few items from Sears online in early March. They were to be delivered to Sears outlet by March 19, but to this day I am still waiting for my order. I called them at the end of March, I was told it will take another week.
No email notification or phone call that the items will be on back order or undeliverable. Extremely poor customer service.

#18 ·
Customer Service

There is a long history of issues dealing with product delivery and getting service parts.

Quick history:
It took 3 years and a few attempts to correct our mailing address, and to this day, I'm still not sure its correct.
They delivered $3000 worth furniture to the incorrect address they had on file a few years back, during this 3 year period of trying to get them to correct the address.

We are the unfortunate owners of a Kenmore HE4 dryer, with a very poor service record, and which clearly has a design flaw. The electronic controls keep failing. That info can be found all over the internet. I attempted to resolve the issue with the Sears retail location (on hwy 27, in west Toronto )which originally sold us the $800 dryer. The issue was never resolved. We struggle with the worthless dryer to this day.

October 2012: "Just vacuum bags..."
We have a $600 Kenmore HEPA vac that is about 10 years old. It was the top of the line model at the time. The unit I think is built by Panasonic, and it runs very well.
Last month, I walked into the Orangeville Sears appliance showroom and catalog store. I figured they might by chance have the specified HEPA vacuum bags for our unit at that location as they have a few display models. I thought is was reasonable to expect that if they did not have any stock on hand, then I can place an order right there for pickup in a few days.

I brought the bag model and vac model numbers with me.
After some confusion by the person serving me of what I was looking for, and looking at two different computers, he hands me a slip of paper with phone number on it, and says to call them.
I suggested that since I'm here now, that perhaps he can place the order for me since we were standing at the order counter.
After going to 3 different computers this time, the stated the bags should be in on the 24th. of October.

I returned on Oct. 24th. It was very busy in the store, and it was understaffed. After waiting 15 minutes and over hearing the sales person on the phone dealing with a complaint, no bags. They stated they will be in on Oct. 31st.
I was not surprised at this, but no big deal. I asked if they would call when they are in, and they stated they would.
They left a message a few days ago, that they are in, and ready for pickup.
I returned to the Orangeville location today, and the vacuum bags were in fact not in. They were sent to the wrong location. I stated my displeasure at their operation and cancelled the order. Now I need to drive to Brampton to get these bags.

I don't like complaining about any one location, but their information systems don't seem to be setup properly, the staff are poorly trained, and nobody seems to care. Maybe they are on commission, and a $40 order is not worth the effort.

All I can say is beware. :mad: I would not have the confidence to drop a grand ($1000) and expect service parts on any major appliances or electronics in the future.

It looks like I have plenty of company the the "extremely dissatisfied" category. :eek:

#19 ·
A few weeks ago, I got so fed up with the local store that I cut up my Sears card and gave the pieces to the clerk. So, thanks to their current poor service and product selection, they lost a customer who had and used a Sears card for about 40 years.

#21 ·
Since posting the above post I ordered twice from Sears. This is the latest:
I ordered from Sears Canada Online Kenmore 50 pint dehumidifier. Received email and voicemail confirmation that the product will be delivered on November 28, 2014 between 8a.m. and 6p.m. I waited all day but the product was not delivered. I called Sears customer service, the delivery was rescheduled for December 3 between 10:30a.m. and 12:30p.m. The delivery was an hour late but it finally arrived. Upon opening of the box, I noticed that the unit was previously opened and re-taped. The nylon packing straps that wrap the box were cut and placed inside the box. The unit looked new, perhaps it was a floor model, but I paid for a brand new unit. So far it is working fine. I gave negative customer survey. They called me few days ago. I thought it was about the survey, but it was only to sell me extended warranty. Extremely poor customer service. If it continues they will lay off more people and finally close. Sadly, nobody will cry.

#22 ·
Similar experiences here. I've received several defective products that were obviously repackaged returns. It looked like they just send the defective returns out to see if someone else would keep them. I've also received a number of products that were of lower quality than the description and price point led me to believe. Since they started charging delivery to their local depots, I haven't purchased a single item from Sears. At one time, Sears products were of higher than average quality and came with better than average service. That no longer appears to be the case.

#23 ·
I've been getting the run around from Sears Canada for a few weeks now in regards to a broken floor brush on one of their vacuums. 5 year warranty and it is less than 6 months old. The local order office can't do anything as they are only agents and all of the people that I talk to at Sears speak English but obviously don't understand English. I was a longtime Sears customer but the hassles over obtaining a replacement part under warranty have ensured that I'll never shop there again.

#24 ·
At one time Sears was good. Went to pick up a blu ray player on sale. They only had the demo model, they would not sell me. Sale was over in a couple of days. They would not even let me order by catalouge. It would be in the day after the sale. I was willing to pay in advance. I was at the store two days before the sale was over! GRRR!!! I also could not find a sales person? When I did see someone who was also a checkout; She told me that is not what I want. lol. Walked out went to Best Buy. It is sad that Sears is going down hill. I heard on the news that same day that Sears Canada Laid off more staff. Was talking to a Sears retireiee, he told me. Sears Canada will be gone in ten years. I hope not. Remember at one time I really liked shopping at Sears.

#25 ·
^^^^
As I mentioned earlier, I used to be a regular shopper at Sears for decades. I finally got so fed up with them a couple of years back, I cut up my card in front of the clerk. I haven't spent a nickle there since. These problems are entirely of their own making.

#26 ·
Count me in (or out)

Went to Sears at Mapleview Mall in Burlington today to look at Bissell sweepers as shown on their internet site. Lots of vacs of the $400 variety but I was looking for the $50 cleanup unit. No sales clerks in vacs or in bedding/mattresses next section over. In sheer frustration I yelled out at top of my lungs "Does anyone work in vacuum cleaners?" then I yelled out very loudly "Does anyone work anywhere in Sears?". Other than a few chuckles from a few shoppers nearby I received zero replies. I seldom use my Sears card but I too will cut it up. Just Hudson's Bay left now or maybe Target.
Don't let the US/Canada border hit you in the butt as you leave Canada.
sailmaker :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.