Yamaha RX-V1400 and PCM 5.1 audio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha RX-V1400 and PCM 5.1 audio

Is my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver able to process an uncompressed pcm 5.1 audio track coming from a blu-ray movie from my PS3? I am running a digital optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver but the audio is only coming out as 2 channel. Do I need to change some settings in the receiver or is it just not able to handle this signal and I would need a new receiver? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 01:46 PM

Have u checked the settings on the PS3 to make sure the audio is set to ouput bitsream? I believe you will get 5.1 once you do that. Your receiver cannot process TrueHD it only passes it as DD. Which to me still sounds great.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I did switch the PS3 to bitstream so I could get the Dolby Digital but I was wondering if I had to do that or if there was a way to get my receiver to handle the uncompressed 5.1 PCM signal. I guess I need to get a new receiver to get the uncompressed audio then.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 02:52 PM

Yes if you want to receive the uncompressed 5.1 then you need a new receiver that handles HDMI processing. I believe there are very few on the market right now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 10:48 PM

I have a Kenwood VR-307 that doesn't seem to recognise the bitstream audio from my HD DVD Polar Express on my (Toshiba HD A2) DVD player as 5.1 multi channel. It plays ordinary DVDs in 5.1 suround (auto detects), yet the same settings don't play the HD DVD.

I know the HD DVD is Dolby Digital Plus, however I thought DD+ was downward compatible with "plain" Dolby Digital 5.1?

This thread sounds like a similar issue. Can anyone explain to me what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.