Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Wanted: AVR opinions!!!

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cookinpro 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm doing a lot of AVR research and would appreciate any and all thoughts.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on which AVR's that have:
1) Good sound ( warmer, balanced, neutral - not too bright)
2) Built well (reliable,long lasting)
3) Future proof (Dolby Vision, HDR TV (HDR10), HLG Compatibility (Hybrid Log Gamma)
4) A wealth of connectivity. (Dlna, WiFi, Fire Connect, Chromecast, Etc....)

I've looked at Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo (are Integra's available in Canada?)

Which of these brands in your opinion rock?

Currently I'm only powering a pair of Martin Logan Motion 10 (though will be getting a small sub in the near future)

#3 ·
I might be late to the game here and but the latest 'future proofing' for me will be Dolby Atmos. We will be moving to a condo in X number of years and I'll be down-sizing everything. I've never used one or heard one but we WILL be getting [ the boss says] a sound bar and it will have ATMOS capabilities. Go to the Dolby site and check it out. I looked at the Yamaha [because I thought it would be the cheaper option] YSP-5600 and it's approx.$3000 with tax. YIKES! and I'll need a new receiver to feed it! Double YIKES.

#4 ·
1) Good sound ( warmer, balanced, neutral - not too bright)
Denon should be added to the list. Their higher end receivers (MSR $1000+) are very good.

3) Future proof ...
No such thing in today's tech market. Vendors keep inventing new features to keep people buying. Stick to established standards and avoid the fashionable new gimmicks that will disappear in a year or two. Just make sure equipment is reliable and has lots of connection options (input and output.) The best that can be done for future proofing is to purchase separate components. A good amp will last a long time and an extra amp can be added for more channels. The preamp, that does all the signal processing, can be replaced independently.

#9 · (Edited)
Yamaha R-N602

Thank you to all whom responded. I appreciate all your input.

I decided to purchase a Yamaha R-N602. I had been looking at 5.1 and 7.2 channel receivers, then it hit me that with only 2 speakers (and a powered sub-to come a bit later) that a surround sound system would not be in my best interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.