Denon UD-M31 question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Denon UD-M31 question

Hi all,
I have a Denon UD-M31 CD Receiver that used to work with my Samsung smart tv. Since moving to Ottawa and getting a new bell PVR my Denon no longer works with my tv. Perhaps it is hooked up incorrectly or the new bell pvr is not compatible. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 12:55 PM

How are you connecting it to the TV, the Denon that is.

The Bell PVR I am guessing is connected directly to the TV, via HDMI ?

So what are you wanting the Denon to do? Play Audio from the Bell PVR? If so, connect Audio Out on PVR to Aux In on the Denon.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I used to connect the Denon to the old PVR using the red/white rca cables. That way I was using my speakers vs. the built in TV speakers.That is not an option with this new PVR (Arris 4K VIP5662W) since I have 3 optical outs and no optical inputs. When I look now at the instruction manual online it looks like I might be able to do this with a "breakout cable" that has a circular pin connection on the PVR and the red/white rca input cables to the receiver. Does this sound right? Where can I get one. I am located in Ottawa. Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 04:47 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the manual for the Arris:

https://frontier.com/~/media/HelpCen...ide.ashx?la=en

It may be difficult to find the proper "breakout" cable... Perhaps another option would be to utilize an optical to analogue audio "converter" I'm sure they're available on the web for under C$30 and at B&M stores for roughly twice that....

Of course another option would be to get a new AVR/speakers for surround sound, with HDMI, or at least optical, input(s).

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for your input. I had pretty much thought "breakout" cable would be difficult/costly to find. The only thing I could find was digital to analogue converter on the Best Buy website with mixed reviews for $40. I had also been looking into a new AVR and was thinking of either the Yamaha RX-V683 or the Pioneer VSX-LX101/2. I also want to be able to stream music from my desktop PC. Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? Thanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 05:40 PM

Does your TV have any analog outputs - RCA jacks, mini-jack or headphone jack? A mini-plug to RCA cable is fairly cheap.

The only reliable source for a breakout cable would be Bell since the connections are proprietary and would differ from one device to another. I don't know if Bell sells that cable.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 06:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you're looking for an AVR, check out the following FAQ:

FAQ - If Only I'd Have Known - What Features to Look for in TVs and AVRs

If you're happy with Denon, then another may not be a bad choice. If you can wait until "Black Friday" or Boxing Week, there should be lots of deals and will give you a chance to do your research beforehand.

What's the exact model number of your Samsung TV? Dr.Dave's suggestion is a good one, but I haven't seen many newer TVs with analogue outs (even mini-jack).

The Yamaha AVR would probably sound "brighter" than the Denon or Pioneer.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have a 32" Samsung Smart TV (UN32EH5300F) My speakers are Martin Logan Motion 10's
The Denon UD-M31 CD Receiver is underpowered (22 W + 22 W (6 ohms) )

I'm looking to get a midrange AVR with Network, DLNA, bluetooth, Wi-Fi

The AVR will be my home theatre receiver that I will also be able to access and play the ton of music that is on my desktop PC (mostly wma and mp3 files)

Hopefully I can find a good AVR that can do all of this.

I have looked at the Yamaha RX-V683 or the Pioneer VSX-LX101/102
Not sure if Onkyo, Denon, or Marantz have an affordable model that will do all of the above.

1. Reliability/build quality is very important.
2. Sound quality also factors in.

I appreciate all your thoughts and input.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 12:34 AM

Good luck with your AVR search.

I looked up the specs on the TV and some sites say it has a Mini-jack audio output. Some don't mention it. If you do have one, you could get a mini-jack to analogue audio cable and plug it into your Denon. You would need to go into the TV's audio menu and tell it to use "external speakers". A mini-jack looks like a small headphone jack, but it has to be an output, not an input. That cable should be fairly inexpensive.

Specs - LED TV UN32EH5300F | Samsung TVs

For example, the following would allow you to connect to regular analogue audio cables. There are similar ones with "male ends", but the ones I looked at were more money.

https://www.amazon.ca/MyCableMart-3-...ni+jack+to+rca

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-01, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you!! I appreciate your input.
I decided to get a Yamaha R-N602 Stereo Receiver. I went with a 2 channel because it had the features I wanted, it sounded very nice and I did not need surround sound for my usage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.