Anyone know what H+H- means on a 3 way crossover for speakers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 47
Anyone know what H+H- means on a 3 way crossover for speakers?

I bought 2 new 3 way crossovers for my speaker set. I wired the woofer to the W+ W - of the crossover as well as the tweeter to the T+ T- and the mid range to the H+ H-. The woofer and tweeter are loud in volume, the midrange is very low and faint in volume. What does H H mean on a 3 way crossover?, is it for midrange or? I did a test and wired the tweeter to the H H, and the volume was also very low and faint but loud on T T, anyone know why?
nicdim is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 09:18 PM
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tiny, Ont.
Posts: 22
Do you know who made the crossover? A quick google image search cam up with one with w+-,t+- and h+-.
The h+- goes to the tweeter, m+- goes to the midrange and the t+- goes to the bass. I have no idea why they would call the bass t+-
FERMAT - 2,5 way floor standing KIT Hi end
maple1 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 12:06 AM
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Posts: 55,340
I did a search on crossovers and most seemed to have W (woofer) M (mid-range) and T (Tweeter) terminals. I would guess that H is for high frequency, but that's just a guess.

Perhaps the letters are different due to different languages in the country of origin. Are there no instructions with the crossovers? If the terminals are in a row, I would wire them Woofer, Mid, Tweeter...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
57 is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 06:53 AM
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 74
I really don't know about the "H". Probably high frequency but I'm not sure. It could be something different.
Rickymartin is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 10:39 AM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 43░ N, 81.2░ W
Posts: 6,427
I agree that the markings are dependent on the make and model. I could find no standard or consistent convention. "W" for the woofer and "T" tweeter seems to sometimes be used for two way crossovers.

90% of the audio from most sources will go to the mid-range speaker. That means that the "loud" output, "T", is most likely the mid-range. "W" is most likely the woofer. That means "H" is most likely the tweeter output. Be careful when connecting the tweeter. They typically can handle only very low power levels. Connect the mid-range and woofer first to test. Then connect the tweeter and test (at low volume) with some material that has a lot of high frequency content. If the amp has a sweep test, use that. Turn the amp off when connecting or disconnecting speakers.
ExDilbert is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome