Anyone know what H+H- means on a 3 way crossover for speakers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone know what H+H- means on a 3 way crossover for speakers?

I bought 2 new 3 way crossovers for my speaker set. I wired the woofer to the W+ W - of the crossover as well as the tweeter to the T+ T- and the mid range to the H+ H-. The woofer and tweeter are loud in volume, the midrange is very low and faint in volume. What does H H mean on a 3 way crossover?, is it for midrange or? I did a test and wired the tweeter to the H H, and the volume was also very low and faint but loud on T T, anyone know why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 09:18 PM
Rookie

Do you know who made the crossover? A quick google image search cam up with one with w+-,t+- and h+-.
The h+- goes to the tweeter, m+- goes to the midrange and the t+- goes to the bass. I have no idea why they would call the bass t+-
FERMAT - 2,5 way floor standing KIT Hi end
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 12:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I did a search on crossovers and most seemed to have W (woofer) M (mid-range) and T (Tweeter) terminals. I would guess that H is for high frequency, but that's just a guess.

Perhaps the letters are different due to different languages in the country of origin. Are there no instructions with the crossovers? If the terminals are in a row, I would wire them Woofer, Mid, Tweeter...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 06:53 AM

I really don't know about the "H". Probably high frequency but I'm not sure. It could be something different.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 10:39 AM
Veteran

I agree that the markings are dependent on the make and model. I could find no standard or consistent convention. "W" for the woofer and "T" tweeter seems to sometimes be used for two way crossovers.

90% of the audio from most sources will go to the mid-range speaker. That means that the "loud" output, "T", is most likely the mid-range. "W" is most likely the woofer. That means "H" is most likely the tweeter output. Be careful when connecting the tweeter. They typically can handle only very low power levels. Connect the mid-range and woofer first to test. Then connect the tweeter and test (at low volume) with some material that has a lot of high frequency content. If the amp has a sweep test, use that. Turn the amp off when connecting or disconnecting speakers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.