limited optical inputs now available for devices, now what ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

limited optical inputs now available for devices, now what ?

I have an older Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver for my ht set up. I now have lost the use of one of the 3 optical inputs. The hinged door has broken off, the cable no longer snaps into the port securely. All devices run hdmi to my LG 55L W5700 tv inputs then the tv has one optical audio out the the receiver. This output seems to send the optical audio for the OTA channels only ? My tv speakers are turned off in order to use my HT Sony receiver for all audio to my 7.1 speakers. I read a previous post by 57 but am a little confused. Currently 2 devices run separate optical cables to the receiver in order to get DD 5.1 leaving 2 devices out to dry.
Is there a way to run multiple device opticals to one source then, only one output goes to one of the receiver optical inputs ? Giving my ample inputs on my receiver?
Last question, why does the tv optical digital output cable send only OTA audio and not send all devices DD 5.1 signals to the receiver since all are connected to the tv via the hdmi inputs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 10:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. You can still use that port, just insert the optical cable along with a toothpick or something similar to hold the cable in place. It's not usually the "door" that holds the cable, rather a "detent/high spot" inside the port, which may now be warn down, or simply inadequate (perhaps because of the missing door, but the toothpick or other thin object should compensate enough to hold the cable in place.

2. As mentioned in the bolded part of the DD5.1 FAQ which I provided to you earlier, some TVs require you to change certain settings in the audio menu to allow for DD5.1 signals for "passthrough" signals (from say HDMI). However, some TVs do not allow this at all and require you to connect the device directly to the AVR.

FAQ - What's Available in DD5.1

3. There are "optical splitters" that can be "reversed" to become "optical combiners" and in that way you can run two devices to one input, however, the devices need to be able to be turned off individually in order for the other device signal to get to the AVR. Most STBs do not "turn off" when they are turned off - they are simply in standby and there is still a signal on the optical port. You can usually tell by seeing the red light at the end of the optical cable. Most BD players, etc do turn off.

4. There are external optical switches (manual and with remote) that you can purchase to do the same thing - two (or more) inputs to one output.

If it works, the toothpick (or something else thin to hold in the cable) is the easiest.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Securing the cable by using a twist tie to hold it to an adjacent cable may also work. Using tape to secure the connector to the chassis is another option.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 11:50 AM

@probak118 it looks like your Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver also has a digital coax input. If you aren't already using it, you can use it if one of your devices has a coax output. Since it is digital, it will provide the same sound quality as the optical inputs.
Quote:
Last question, why does the tv optical digital output cable send only OTA audio and not send all devices DD 5.1 signals to the receiver since all are connected to the tv via the hdmi inputs ?
A lot of TVs have this limitation, which I think is because the chipset that processes the HDMI inputs only handles stereo.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all,

I will try the tooth pick trick. maybe two LOL
- yes none of my devices have a digital coax anymore , nor multichannel outputs so I could use those imputs on the AR.
- yes, I think my tv obviously does not pass thru, damn
- worse case I try the reversed optical splitter making it a joiner and connect the BR player and the xbox. If is comes to it a external optical splitter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 01:23 PM
Veteran

An optical audio to coax digital converter is another possibility.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-01-08, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Update - Problem fixed

I really took a good look at and in that open port, as the optical cable had red light on the end I knew it worked. Found that the metal hinge that held on the plastic cover was still there, blocking the opening / light from going into place. Very very small hinge hardly noticeable, basically a door blocking deep inside the opening cavity. I got that opened and pushed optical cable in place, used cable ties suggestion also. Now I only need use on of several options to make a fourth connection, thanks to all . Our son cannot believe how much better the xbox games sound in DD 5.1 and my Bell HD channels also have DD 5.1 !

Last edited by probak118; 2017-01-08 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.