STR-K990 HDMI Audio issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

STR-K990 HDMI Audio issue

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm a newbie...

I have an older AVR - Sony STR-K990. I was doing some reconfiguration today and noticed that the AVR has an HDMI in and Out.

When I use this, however, (Blu-Ray, Cable, whatever into the input, the output to my HDTV) - audio comes through the TV, not through the AVR.

Is there any way to over-ride this? I'd like to use HDMI for audio, but have the AVR do audio and pass the video to the television...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 02:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Pretty sure this AVR only has HDMI passthrough (switching) and doesn't handle HDMI audio. A lot of the early AVRs with HDMI "switching" were like this. See the following FAQ - the section near the end on HD/HDMI audio:

FAQ - If Only I'd Have Known - What Features to Look for in TVs and AVRs

If I'm incorrect, there will be a section in the user manual to switch the AVR to "amp" instead of to "TV" for the audio, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct. You can connect the various devices via optical or coaxial digital audio cables to the AVR to get DD5.1 audio.

Here's a post useful for those new to this - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.