Guidance on A/V receiver for B&W CM9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Guidance on A/V receiver for B&W CM9

I have recently purchased B&W CM9 front, CM5 surround, CC2 center, ASW-12 sub. Looking for A/V receiver in ~USD$2000 range to match the speakers. Any recommendations please. I am very confused with all the options available.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 10:09 AM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Looking for A/V receiver in ~USD$2000 range to match the speakers. Any recommendations please. I am very confused with all the options available.
What options (networking, # HDMI inputs/outputs, USB jack(s), Dynamic Volume, iPod connectivity, etc.) do you want / need?

Consider spending ~$1,200-$1,500 on a receiver to act as a processor, and then buying an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 (or even a UPA-5) to handle the power requirements.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 10:18 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Most receivers in that price range will probably have many features, but have a look at the following FAQ outlining AVR features to ensure you get what you need:

FAQ - If Only I'd Have Known - What Features to Look for in TVs and AVRs

Check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

Are you located in the US? Please put your location in your profile, it helps us help you. I recently purchased a Denon AVR4310Ci and am quite happy with it. It's less than US$2k, but there are lots of options in that price range. As stated before, most AVRs in this price range will have the features you need, but will differ in their ergonomics, or sound nuances, or other small differences that can nag at someone spending this much. Some of the "less popular" brands have also had HDMI issues with some equipment...

If it's power you want, the suggestion by eljay is a good one - using the AVR as a Pre-Pro and then purchasing a separate power amp, perhaps only for the fronts, or for 5-7 speakers

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 09:33 PM
DHC Supporter

if your willing to pay for these speakers (assumming new @ retail) plus add
$ 2k (US) you can afford another $ 500 - $ 1000 (or whatever) ; unless your maxed out, than that's for another discussion on your end - maybe behind closed doors ..

go separates. good multichannel amp with avr, or with dedicated av processor (now or later)

Quote:
using the AVR as a Pre-Pro and then purchasing a separate power amp, perhaps only for the fronts
this would be a nice option. i have experienced elevated 2 channel (music) listening with my 5 ch amp., but certainly not to the degree a 2 channel power amp would perform up front.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 09:43 AM

+1 to pharsyde's comments

Entry level to get the most of what these speakers can produce would be Cambridge Audio 650R or NAD 965. Good quality separates would give even better listening experience
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 12:34 AM

You are one lucky man, since you are just in time for this.

Let us know what you decide on and how it works for you.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.