onkyo 876 av problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

onkyo 876 av problem

hoping someone may be able to help i have onkyo 876 connected to samsung led dlp HL61A750 via hdmi cable.I have sd sat rec connected to 876 by svideo.I set the hdmi out to through put and i get a resolution error on the front of the 876.If i set the hdmi to source i still get a resolution error.I thought setting hdmi out to through means it pass the signal without upconverting?So how can i be getting resolution error?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 12:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Some HDTVs do not accept 480i via HDMI. If that's the case here, you'll either need to upconvert the signal to 480p, 720P, 1080i in the AVR, or use an analogue connection from the AVR to the TV. See the following on HDMI issues:

FAQ - HDMI Comments/Issues Item 23.

I'm not 100% sure this is your issue, but there's a list of things to check at the bottom of the HDMI FAQ too. I'm assuming that the Onkyo transcodes S-video to HDMI? (based on the specs, it appears to)

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the reply i think the problem must be on tv end because my av manual says i can go svideo to hdmi and since its set to through put it isnt upconverting anyting should be just passing signal
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 12:59 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Does the Onkyo allow you to upconvert the incoming analogue signals to say 1080i/P? If it does, then that may solve your problem, if the TV doesn't accept 480i via HDMI.

You could check if that's the case by connecting an HDMI device directly to the TV (DVD player, STB, etc) and try setting it to output 480i via HDMI - you should get an error or a blank screen, then don't change it to 480i, otherwise your device may need to be connected differently to change output format - depends on how the output format is changed on the device - a button or menu...

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 01:50 PM
Veteran

If you switch the overall HDMI output to Source, you can go to the input for your SD satellite box and change it's video setting resolution to 1080i/p as 57 suggested...

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.