New Pioneer VSX-819H-K - Is this the new budget AVR king? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-05-15, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

New Pioneer VSX-819H-K - Is this the new budget AVR king?

The new Pioneer VSX-819H-K was released on 1 May 09, so it's fairly new and there is not a whole of info online about it. No reviews, only a few stores are stocking it right now, online.

To me, it just screams value compared to other competitors...

Key features :

- LPCM over HDMI (Not just a pass-through, it will playback the audio)
- Lossless audio codec decoding (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA)
- 110w x 5 (not sure how true that is... Is Pioneer known for inflating these specs?)
- 3 HDMI in/1 out (no upconversion, not a big deal if your using all digital sources like me)

Here's the brochure... http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/eph...VSX-819H-K.pdf

Can anyone comment or offer a review on this model?

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited by 57; 2009-05-15 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Pricing removed, per forum rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-05-15, 01:05 PM
Veteran

This is a review of the older VSX-918, and can perhaps be used as a basis for comparison for the 819.

I have yet to see any reviews specifically for the 819.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 01:34 PM

I'm looking at this AVR (and considering the 919 too). Took my HTPC to a retailer yesterday to check out whether it works. It does, quite nicely, outputting 5.1 sound using a HD-DVD copy of Planet Earth. The only glitches were the sound testing under Vista being intermittent (first speaker in the test, the front left - would rarely sound up).

What receiver to buy?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 02:30 PM
Veteran

I think the 919 makes more sense since it has PQLS and Advanced MCACC (which is heads and shoulders compared to regular MCACC on the 819)

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 01:58 PM

Potential Video issues with 819

Some 819 owners have complained of video pass through issues which doesnt seem to be the case with the 919. I went with the 919 just to avoid the hassle. The 919 also supports the On screen setup via HDMI which the 819 doesnt.

Last edited by 57; 2009-07-30 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Minor edit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 08:10 PM

I took my HTPC to check it out on an 819 precisely because of the reported video pass through problems but encountered none.

I did buy the 919 eventually as it only cost USD50 more than the 819 (which reportedly has power problems too).

One feature that had me initially sold on the 819 was the two unamped outs for connecting to amp'd speakers which would add the rear surrounds to give 7.1. Unfortunately you can't run these independently of the other main room speakers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 08:23 PM
Veteran

you mean you want to do 2nd zone? There is a line-level output for 2nd zone that runs separately from the main zone.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-07-30, 07:37 AM

No, 2nd zone from the unamped output, not the amped speaker output.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.