XMU being merged with Sirius Left of Center - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

XMU being merged with Sirius Left of Center

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xmu-says-goodbye.html

Will XM Canada folks get Left of Center now?

I wonder how they can hold off on a Canadian merger if Sirius XM continues to "merge" channels, or cancel XM channels that are redundant with Sirius channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 02:14 PM
Veteran

It appears that a pile of XM staff is being laid off effective today. Rumour is that starting at the beginning of November, programming will be merging (i.e. same channels offered by both). If this happens, it will be interesting to to see what happens with XM and Sirius Canada as they will both be selling the same product.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 02:58 PM

Are you speaking about this is happening to Canadian XM and Sirius?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

There has been no announcement about what will happen on XM in Canada. The layoffs suggest that a number of XM stations that duplicate Sirius channels are being eliminated. The only official word of a channel closing is XMU. This isn't a big deal if you subscribe in the States because you have access to the Sirius channel.

I was asking what people think will happen here.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 03:14 PM

lots of changes

It sounds like there will be a number of changes to programmig for Sirius-XM and this has to filter on down to XM Canada & Sirius Canada. If the rumour of merging 50 music channels is true, then the music programming of the Canadian services will be very much alike.....should be interesting to watch
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 10:01 AM

Sirius Xm

If Sirius-XM will be merging their programming in November, what was the point of adding the Best of XM to Sirius packages and best of Sirius on Xm packages? Is it fair to say that eventually Sirius-XM will have one website and one offering of channels instead of having xm.com and sirius.com? I want the NHL but don't want to buy a new radio. Anyone think NHL will be available soon without having to subscribe to the Best of XM package? I mean, they are one company now, do away with the two seperate brands already!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 01:05 PM

Music for now

Sounds like they are just merging music for now....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 02:16 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Is it fair to say that eventually Sirius-XM will have one website and one offering of channels instead of having xm.com and sirius.com?
Sure is. I think that, because of the hardware legacy, it will be sometime before the consolidation is complete.

The consolidation of music stations makes sense. The problems is I thought they would take the best of both, whereas they just seem to be dumping XM employees.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 02:36 PM
Veteran

If their hub will be Sirius in New York, relocation would be too big an expense.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 05:13 PM

Quote:
The problems is I thought they would take the best of both, whereas they just seem to be dumping XM employees.
This is certainly how it seems right now. And, from what I've read, we can say good-bye to deeper playlists, less repetition, and less FM-like talking heads (if you believe the fear being bandied about?). If this is the case, then I am very concerned about this merger, which might then only be a euphemism for dumping most things XM.

But what also is being rumoured about is cuts to Sirius that, as of yet, haven't been announced.

I really like XMU and will miss its current incarnation. In the end, if they can dump, merge, etc., and this results in much-improved sound quality (64kbps for each music channel would be nice!), then the payoff might be worth this slashing? We'll soon see.

Sony XBR-52HX909 / Sony BDP-S570 / BTV 9242 PVR / XM Inno & subs in Focus & Fiesta (all SXM)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.