SIRIUS & XM Reception Discussions. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

SIRIUS & XM Reception Discussions.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either SIRIUS or XM reception in Newfoundland on the east coast (St. John's area). How's the signal strength, good/fair/poor? What about in foggy conditions/snow...etc, any drop outs? etc.

I welcome all feedback.

Thanks!!!

Krazy

Last edited by 57; 2016-04-18 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 06:36 AM

a new found land?

A new found land, you say?

I Christen it.... "mrlumpyville"!
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 10:02 AM

snow, fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_knuck
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either SIRIUS or XM reception in Newfoundland on the east coast (St. John's area). How's the signal strength, good/fair/poor? What about in foggy conditions/snow...etc, any drop outs? etc.

I welcome all feedback.

Thanks!!!

Krazy

I can't answer your question regarding how well satellite radio works in your province but I have heard that Sirius does work much better than XM in Newfoundland because of the configuration of the satellites. This is especially true with the eastern half of the island. I will see if I can find the link to the satellite path maps and post it for you.

I live in an area with lots of snow and both XM and Sirius do not appear to suffer much in the way of signal loss. I have had many cms of snow on my antenna and still get a solid signal. Today is a very foggy day in the Ottawa Valley and I was listening to Sirius on the drive in with no signal loss.

There has been some discussion on DHC regarding XM:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=36027

Last edited by Kieran; 2006-05-18 at 10:14 AM.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 10:11 AM

Sirius and Newfoundland

Even Sirius looks like it starts to lose a solid path toward the eastern end of NFLD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sirius_coverage_map.jpg (69.7 KB, 167 views)
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran
Even Sirius looks like it starts to lose a solid path toward the eastern end of NFLD.
OK...thanks for the info....I guess the best thing for me to do is to contact both providers directly and ask them. Hovever they do sell the receivers here locally so what would be the point if the service wasn't available....

Krazy
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 01:09 PM

I was in NF last summer (Drove from Ottawa) using XM all over the island (Port aux Basques to St. John's and in between) with a few fade ins and outs. But this was before you could buy XM in Canada, so it may have failed a bit due to the fact I was using the US feed and not Canadian before it was available. I would think it would work much better now since offering it north or the border.

Adam
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-19, 11:10 AM

same signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsooley
I was in NF last summer (Drove from Ottawa) using XM all over the island (Port aux Basques to St. John's and in between) with a few fade ins and outs. But this was before you could buy XM in Canada, so it may have failed a bit due to the fact I was using the US feed and not Canadian before it was available. I would think it would work much better now since offering it north or the border.

Adam
The satellite signal/feed from XM/Sirius to Canada is exactly the same as the USA so the signal you would have received last year and this year would be the same. Signals have improved in urban areas when XM Canada and Sirius Canada added repeaters.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-05-25, 08:52 PM

I live in St. John's and I bought XM this past Friday and i've never been happier. The reception here in St. John's is excellent. I use it at work in a tall building dontown and at home up by the Avalon Mall and both places have no problems. According to a sales rep I talked to XM has a repeater here in the city and under my antenna aiming options it shows full terrestrial and and no Satellite. Also from talkign to a couple of people Sirius does not have a repeater and there is a very bad signal here.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-06-13, 10:04 PM

Sirius covers 200 miles offshore on both coasts - from BC to Newfoundland. So St. Johns should be fine!! If there is a reception problem, let Sirius know and they will put a repeater up within 60 days.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 2006-11-12, 11:48 AM

Island coverage

So if the reception is pretty good in St. John's because of the repeater what about when you leave the city... How far out does that work?

What about the rest of the Avalon/& island?

If St. john's is the only repeater location, how reliable is the direct satellite signal in otheer areas. (Feedback on Either XM OR Sirius would be appreciated here.)

Thanks
OT
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 2007-01-23, 04:06 PM

The XM satellite signal while driving in St. John's isn't great, it's there, but drops out a lot.. it's fine for home use however. As you leave St. John's the satellite signal gets better, so nothing to worry about. But yes, XM does have a repeater in the St. John's area that makes the signal great, works fine under lots of bridges and even inside buildings without even having the antenna outside or aimed to the satellites.

Sirius is supposed to be not bad while driving, but their signal is weak and it's hard to aim the home antenna because their satellites are moving.
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 11:34 PM

I live in Mount Pearl, NL. How good is the reception for other folks now that that Sirius and XM have merged here? I subbed yesterday and had to put the antenna on my roof to get a good reception from home. Works great ! But where does the merged company drop out here in the Province? In cars and at home is my question? I have a Sirius XM Radio for home use.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 12:49 PM

Sirius was amazing...

till today. I get in my car, it takes an update and suddenly, sitting in my driveway having not moved, I have no signal.

I hadn't moved an inch. I got in car, listened for 30 seconds, update comes down and boom, no signal.

Driving to work, a route I know well, I used to have ZERO dropouts. ZERO. Never. Not even in the ****tiest of weather with gigantic chunks of ice falling from the sky.

Now? Since this update today? It drops out oh, I dunno, 10-15 times in areas that I have exceptional views of the sky.

They either changed something or there's a bug, but something, for certain, is broken.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 01:50 PM

I got the update this AM and seemed to be having a lot of additional dropouts this morning as well.

We'll see what the ride home brings.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Lots of dropouts as of Wednesday morning (yesterday). Same symptoms. Drive a well travelled route where we knew what to expect. Now constant dropouts.

Ed

I just went on with support chat. Talk about useless. Nothing they can offer except to send refresh signal. States there are no known issues.
I informed them that there is some issue!

Last edited by hilroy97; 2016-04-07 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.