SIRIUS & XM Reception Discussions. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-09-13, 01:47 PM
Hey Mitigator!!

I have dropped signals in exactly the same places you have mentioned....exactly! I also lose signal for most of Bishop Grandin. The similarity pretty well rules out problems with our units.

I have sent them a lengthy complaint this morning.
gbaccus likes this.
Sponsored Links
post #77 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 02:21 AM
Devilscreekw great let us know how they responded - all they did for me was to refresh my Radio twice which did absolutely nothing.
post #78 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 06:47 AM
They took a while to get back to me as I sent the request with my normal name instead of my legal given name. Once straightened out, I did a "soft" reset and another refresh. Will let you know how that works out, but we haven't been to Winnipeg for a couple of days. We're in Beausejour.
post #79 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-09-23, 08:29 PM
I see my initial post gained traction! Some updates since early August:

- In mid-August I did an online chat with SiriusXM where they acknowledged an issue in Winnipeg on their end, and gave me a monthly credit of $20. I have the chat log, and I'll consider sharing if it helps anyone else.

- I put a similar post in Reddit, and got a number of responses there:

- As of this writing, nothing has improved for me. Same areas throughput the city: Yep, Concordia Overpass is a bad one! St Mary's @ Bishop, the parking lot at Southglen Shopping Centre, etc, etc, etc. Spots that were all fine until some time between July 15 - 17, then it all went to sh*t.

- I did have my antennae checked out by Crown Nissan. No issue to report, but they would consider replacing it if I wanted to for $900. lol.

- Yesterday I did another online chat, with worse results than last time. No credit was given, because I was first told the Winnipeg issue was resolved in August: "We would like to advise you that we have checked with our technical team that there is no any technical issuer reported or effecting the signal in WINNIPEG, MB. We used to have an issue which is already
resolved by the end of August." After a back and forth with "Sam", I was told they "will escalate this case to the concern team who will investigate in this case further for you, and they will reply back with in the next 3 to 5 business days." I have the chat transcript, if it helps anyone.

I think colinpeddle might be on to something about interference with cellular provider nodes. The date mentioned in this thread could just be a coincidence, but that's right around the time I started having cutouts:

post #80 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-09-24, 10:15 PM
Just want to chime in here too...I've been having issues for at least the last two/three months in two cars, so frustrating. I remember this happened a couple years ago in the summer and it took sirius forever to fix it.

I've been calling Sirius monthly to get reimbursed because I've never seen the signal this bad, its un-listenable in every area. The last time I called (early September) they said they have gotten zero other calls from people complaining in Winnipeg. I found that hard to believe, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing the issue.

Here's to hoping they fix it soon, I've never thought about cancelling my service, but I'm strongly considering it. Let me know if you hear any updates!
gbaccus likes this.
post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-05, 07:51 AM
The problem appears to be the major installations in the last 2 years of new Cell Towers. Everytime I get a fadeout of signal I look around and sure enough there is a new Cell Tower nearby or one not too far away. Ie just look at that massive tower behind Walmart at Kildonan place shopping Centre in Winnipeg, and another new huge Tower just East of Concordia Hospital. Same thing on Portage Ave between Polo Park and the Bay. It appears Rogers and Bell / MTS are in a Cell competition with the dozens of new installations of Towers here in Winnipeg - they call it Upgrading their Networks!! I'm just thankful I don't have one of them in my backyard area. Unfortunately it appears to have caused major problems with our XM Radio Reception - especially in the last year and unless something can be done to address these annoying dropouts via XM via some type of Filter or other means its only
going to get worse.

I would think Xm will be losing a lot of customers especially if this continues. Because XM reception is really bad all around Winnipeg, makes you wonder how these companies can get permission to install and almost double up on all the new Cell Towers that have recently been installed!!
gbaccus likes this.
post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 06:25 PM
In Edmonton here and I have 2012 Honda Crosstour with built-in SiriusXM tuner. Over the past year, I've noticed there have been a lot of signal drops for me coming/going to work. Before, I'd get the odd drop in certain parts of the city, but now I can't drive more than 30 seconds without the signal dropping. It's so frustrating, and my commute to/from work has been exactly the same for the past 7 years.

I was able to transfer the Sirius satellite lifetime subscription I purchased back in 2009 over to SiriusXM in 2014, but it's become useless over the past year.

Judging by the thread I linked below, it's a widespread issue across North America too.

Is there any recourse? Is it possible to get SiriusXM to transfer my lifetime satellite radio subscription to their internet radio service instead? I was going to try refreshing the signal tonight, to see if that'll fix the issue, but I'm not going to hold my breath after reading through hundreds of posts where people are complaining about similar issues.
post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 06:54 AM
WeirdG, great info. Looks like its a major USA / Canada problem. It's so bad now in Winnipeg that no matter where you drive I am getting signal dropouts. Latest area is along Henderson Hwy near Safeway TD Bank and Chief Peguis Bypass. Rogers announced yesterday that they have finally completed their Cellular upgrades here. Unfortunately its all over Winnipeg - huge annoying dropouts. Sad to say when my Subscription is done in March I will be cancelling service.
gbaccus likes this.
post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by WeirdG View Post
In Edmonton here and I have 2012 Honda Crosstour with built-in SiriusXM tuner. Over the past year, I've noticed there have been a lot of signal drops for me coming/going to work...
Here in Edmonton as well. I have been having the dropout problem on two vehicles, one with a built-in radio and the other with a portable with car kit (sold now). However, there is no dropout on my new vehicle with built-in radio. It must have something to do with older radios.

Last edited by 57; 2017-10-27 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened.
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 04:04 PM
I get the feeling that this could have to do with LTE cellular on the 2100MHz band. SiriusXM satellites and repeaters operate at 2320-ish MHz, perhaps the antenna/LNB of older receivers don't have enough filtering to accommodate the new cellular landscape which was but a faint dream of the mobile operators back when SXM spec'd out their early generations of receiver equipment.

This would also explain why some newer hardware are experiencing less trouble than the older stuff, as well as the timing of the problems coinciding with the turn-up of new cellular base station channels in LTE band 4
gbaccus likes this.
post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-28, 02:42 PM
I got fed up with the reception problems and started using the free Stingray music app that plays all the Stingray music channels that came included with my MTS Ultimate TV package and run it through my cell phone via Blu-Tooth to my car speakers or ear buds depending on where I am.

It does chew through data so I don't recommend it unless you have have a high limit or unlimited data plan though.

If you have Shaw TV apparently you can also use the Stingray App to access the Stingray music you are already paying for too.
post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-28, 03:31 PM
One other thing I am wondering about is the repeaters were reportedly on the roof of the Radison hotel on Portage @ Smith. I recall seeing somewhere on the City Winnipeg website about two years ago the hotel owner on short notice exercised their rights to terminate the lease for the City of Winnipeg main communication tower on the roof and they had to find a new home so the emergency services could still have radio service.

I wonder of other customers on the roof like Sirus/XM and some of the paging companies also got termination notices and may not have found a new home. The city ended up on the Richardson building.
post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old 2017-10-31, 12:51 PM
Probably not that useful to the discussion, but I'm not seeing any issues here in New Brunswick. The main issue is trees along the road, and building at certain angles as you drive by them, as it's always been.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.