Sirius Canada or XM Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-18, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sirius Canada or XM Canada?

Hi there, new to the forum.

I've searched around and I can't seem to get a definitive answer that is relevant to recent times.

What is your opinion on Sirius vs XM? Who is better? who has the best channel line up?

I am looking for sports and rock music mostly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 01:47 PM

It depends on what sports you value more.... Sirius has NFL but XM has baseball and hockey.

Eventually the 2 companies will be merged in more than just name... you will get all the services you want anyways, but they are sure taking their time.

Also be advised you may have to wait it out in getting the newest receiver capable of receiving all of the channels.

Pioneer 60" Plasma, LG 47" LCD, SiriusXM subscriber, Xbox 1, PS4. Rogers Ultimate Internet, Iphone 5, Ipad 4
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 10:53 AM
Rookie

I went with XM because their receivers are generally a little bit cheaper, and I'm only interested in commercial-free music (which Sirius and XM generally share the exact same line-up).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 01:13 PM

The SiriusXM long term plan is to slowly phase out Sirius in favor of the larger installed base of XM units also due to the deployment of the v. 2 modulation which will only allow XM radios. Transition is scheduled to be complete by 2015.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 11:17 PM

i find that to be true because one of the new radios Sirius is selling now is an XM one. if you only care about music either will do. when it comes to something like sports and what talk radio you would be into. like was mentioned here already sirius has nascar and NFL and XM has NHL and MLB. sirius has howard stern and XM has Opie and Anthony
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
i find that to be true because one of the new radios Sirius is selling now is an XM one. if you only care about music either will do. when it comes to something like sports and what talk radio you would be into. like was mentioned here already sirius has nascar and NFL and XM has NHL and MLB. sirius has howard stern and XM has Opie and Anthony
It's just a matter of time before you'll be able to get Howard Stern, etc. on XM too. US subscribers can pay extra and do that today. As the integration proceeds the option will surely be given to Canadian subscribers.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 04:16 PM

that is true but its been over a year since they have been merged in canada maybe even half a year since it has been official and nothing has changed
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Because there's hardware involved in the conversion, it's going to take quite a while. But it'll happen.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 01:01 PM

i don't get the hardware comment all radios sirius and xm canada sell now are capable of recieving all the same programming siriusxm in the US offers
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 05:54 PM

Both platforms are currently simulcasting the other's exclusive channels with the exception of the ClearChannel commercial streams exclusive to XM. So again, what a waste of bandwidth this all is. Once conversion is complete, a single v. 2 hierarchical modulation scheme will span the combined Sirius and XM spectrum (40 MHz) allowing Legacy XM radio to decode legacy channels (typically those currently airing below the 220s).

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-15, 08:27 AM

Question Buy equipment

Still debating which service to go with.
If I buy a reciever today and there are changes..... could my reciever be obsolete a few months down the road.
Would I be SOL and be forced to buy new equipment?
Or, is there equipment today that won't be outdated a few months down the road.

On that note I am buying for a car that has a Buick radio and cassette player. I deduce that I will get sat radio through an FM freq.
Is there a model of reciever (xm or sirius) that will give me the best sound through a Fm freq.

I am also looking for a portable stereo to dock and maybe play through my home stereo.

Any advice and suggestions wouls be helpful?

Armeee
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-15, 09:12 PM

An XM radio is likely to be usable for the life of the hardware. However, Sirius will no doubt replace radios when and if they become obsolete so I don't think you have a big gamble here.

As for maximum sound quality, if you don't have an AUX IN jack, you'll get highest quality with your setup via a cassette adapter, surprisingly. You can get these for about $3-4 from surplus stores like Princess Auto, or get one cheaply off eBay. (If you're desperate I probably have a couple.) You'll avoid FM interference (from local stations or other users using FM for satellite radio or other purposes) and get better stereo separation.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 02:45 AM
Veteran

The satellites are at capacity. The Canadian service just doesn't offer all the channels that are available. The Canadian radios also don't offer all the features of seemingly identical US radios. I don't know if that impacts channel availability, yet, but it does affect package options and has for years.

Here is the simple explanation (ignoring XM 2.0.) Sirius and XM channels are on two adjacent frequency bands. They also use different technologies, making each radio unusable on the other band (or service.) Let's say each band can carry 240 channels. Of those, let's say 120 channels are identical, duplicated channels. Under that scheme, dual band/dual technology radios can increase channels on a single radio to 360. By using the same technology across both bands, SiriusXM could offer 480 channels on a single radio by eliminating the duplicated channels and creating 120 new channels. SiriusXM was prevented from combining the two bands for several years under the US merger agreement. When that expires, they can combine the two bands under a single technology and increase effective capacity.

The dual band/dual technology radios were also mandated under the US merger agreement but they are more difficult and costly to produce. A single technology radio is the way to go in the long run.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 06:43 PM

it kinda does affect channel availabilities. a while ago some people were able to get channels like the NHL package on their radios because they were newer. another example was at xmas you were not able to get one of the holiday channels unless you did have one of the newer radio's. the same goes for car tuners. i have a 1st gen Kenwwood Sirius tuner so if they decide to bring any of the channel's over from the best of package i would not be able to receive them

this may only affect Sirius radios though because i never had an XM one before
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-04-17, 10:26 PM

In addition to the soon-to-be-ubiquitous-and-overkill SXM Mirge, a new radio known as the "Endge" claims to receive the extra channels in the 300 range. This radio targetting the Sirius audience is designed to receive more "shuffles" and a few spanish talk streams from Mexico.

Note that the US Sirius store quietly ceased to carry Sirius receivers recently. With the broadening appeal of internet streaming (especially in the car), you can bet your last dime that SXM will want to expedite the conversion process to:

1) add more weight to the channel list so they can claim an ever expanding selection
2) to (hopefully) increase SQ on the 69 regular music channels because they are really getting to be decrepid with the ridiculous load imposed on the XM bandwidth. Load balancing between Rock (east), Roll (west) and the two "figure of eight" Sirius satellite will do that for sure.

As for Canada radio stocks well, remember the last two weeks of February and the amount of commercial air time devoted to the iPad 2? Well Apple sure did want to rid their shelves of all those iPads before launching a new one. You can bet that we canucks will be inticed to buy all those remaining Sirius radios that no one else wants.

In a nutshell, I'd say right now is not a good time to invest in long term commitments until a few 2.0 modulation receivers are available out there. And that Edge receiver I wrote about up top, well it's as clunky a device as was my original XM radio back in 2002. I'd leave it alone for now.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.