OTA Antenna Chart/Tableau des Meilleures Antennes OTA - 17/05/2014 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 03:56 PM

Regarding the site http://www.biline.ca/atsc.htm

Anyone notice the way the CM4221 is mounted? Is this another hack to improve its performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-04, 06:06 PM

CM4221HD Hack

The way it's mounted on the roof is for vertical polarization waves, which we don't have in Canada or the States.

That guy knows nothing about antennas . . .
audioguy_on_ca likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-05, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUVAL
That guy knows nothing about antennas
After he came here and used info from this site he didn't bother to read the OTA FAQ and other threads that would have shown how idiotic it is to mount a North American-market antenna sideways like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelSeeker
Note that the blogger also uses Stampeder's antennas list on their website
Thank you for tipping me off. My Antenna Chart is copyrighted, and I do not make it available for public availability except to registered members of this site. I notice he says the following at the bottom of his blog:
Quote:
All of the pictures and information contained within the www.biline.ca website are the property of Jeff Mathurin please do NOT use any of the contents of this website without consent.
How ironic. I'll be contacting Jeff Mathurin promptly to see if he recognizes the ethical jam he's gotten himself into. I'm sure he'll be nice about it.

BTW thank you ChannelSeeker, Jorgek, and BOUVAL - it is nice to know that we have each other's backs where due credit is concerned.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-05, 06:45 PM

No problem, Sir! You worked hard putting this great info together, the least Mr. Mathurin could do is show a little recognition.

He probably missed the following line in the .PDF he claims to be "his" property, eh? :

Quote:
Digital Home Canada www.digitalhome.ca OTA Forum Copyright © 2010 Jon LeBlanc (stampeder) March 25, 2010
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-05, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I've exchanged emails with him and he confirms that he'll take down those old versions of my Antenna Chart PDFs. I've asked him to please replace them with live links to the Antenna Chart so that people will come here and join to be able to download the latest, greatest version. I've also invited him to come and join here. So, this can end well for all of us.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-09, 02:11 PM

Awesome news! Credit to your hard work, plus a potential new member. Can't do much better than that under the circumstances.

All is well that ends well!

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile

Well, we try to be friendly but it has been more than 5 days since the email exchange and still no change in that blog. Perhaps someone else could cordially ask him to change the links so that they point to this thread, and also ask him to join up here?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-10, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Well, we try to be friendly but it has been more than 5 days since the email exchange and still no change in that blog.
The PDF links now point to a note that says you asked him to remove them.
He still has the text from ota_canuck's 4221 hacks post without attribution.

Here's the note I just sent him -
I see that you have fixed the links to the copyrighted antenna chart posted on the OTA forum at DigitalHome.ca. All of us there appreciate that. Would you also be good enough to attribute the information regarding the CM4221HD antenna hacks that were copied from that forum also? The contributor in that case was the forum user with the handle 'ota_canuck'.
Thanks RK
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-10, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
The PDF links now point to a note that says you asked him to remove them
He seems to have changed the wording a bit of the message I sent him. I suppose I should just leave him to his sideways antenna.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-10, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I suppose I should just leave him to his sideways antenna.

That blog is pretty old now too. We've probably given it more traffic in the last 2 weeks than it's had in 2 years.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-02-10, 03:57 PM

Not only his antenna is mounted sideways, it's also aiming at the roof and that metal air vent sticking out ...

His coax cable is almost folded like a paper sheet near the balun and the cable tie may be too tight on the j-pole ...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-11-24, 04:32 PM

Regarding the indoor recommendation "Silver Sensor-style with VHF elements" aren't we talking about the Terk Amplified Indoor HDTV antenna? "Silver Sensor-style with VHF elements" isn't something you can find on the internet.

I think the Winegard sharp shooter is also out of production, replaced with something that looks quite inferior.

Indoor antenna's seem to be regressing, but maybe that's just me.

FYI I've bought the Terk for family & it's blown the competition out of the water.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2015-11-24, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I've been receiving/learning other info too for quite awhile, so I hope to integrate it into a new version soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye_cable
Indoor antenna's seem to be regressing, but maybe that's just me.
Not just you. I've never liked the idea of ranking indoor antennas due to the myriad of local, specific reception issues affecting any such device. I think consumers have become much more savvy about supposedly wonderful indoor antennas. Some models are better than others, so we'll continue on with that as long as people know that an indoor antenna is usually not a satisfactory solution.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.