Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 64 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #946 of 956 (permalink) Old 2016-08-05, 09:37 AM

@majortom - I've tried playing with the software, however, when I do a factory reset on the box it reverts back to 132R only - and will only let me move the software forward (it won't let me load on an older version of the software). The only difference I can find between the 132R and 134R versions is some notes about the Sling TV app that I don't use being improved. It does look like some versions, including one that isn't publically available (115R) are a little more stable, and have more of the build geared to the OTA portion of the box instead of the various apps they have been adding as of late.

I haven't opened my box yet to see where (or if) it has a JTAG interface to play around with. I've looked at some of the teardown photos of the DVR+ and can't clearly see one, but generally would assume it has them if I take a closer look. I may also try using an internal drive that CM uses in the box to see if I can get it to work better using the direct architecture instead of the USB drive.

I have several older USB drives I am going to test this weekend - none are CM recommended but will see how they act.

I'll keep playing around with it and let the forum know if I get any positive results, and if I can find anything interesting in the S/W if I find the JTAG connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #947 of 956 (permalink) Old 2016-08-05, 09:50 AM

CMTV also added some more linear channels in "Beta" last night:

800 - Holyfield TV
Appears to be sports related, focused on non-traditional and amateur sports. Production value of the shows I flipped through last night was poor. Found the following website but not sure if it is the same network - Holyfield TV Network - the site is not well done, nor does it have any good information.

801 - Eye on Media Network
Looked like low budget versions of Entertainment Tonight, Extra, and other entertainment shows. Found a website that looks like it is a re-brand of a channel from Florida?
Channel 16 South Florida Eye On Media Network

802 - The Dream Network
Appears to be about role playing games (RPGs) based on the programming last night. Not sure why a game would watch this when better content is on various web-based platforms on demand for specific games. Website looks like it is DREAMnetwork

803 - Movies 4U
Had an older movie on last night, but did find a programming guide for the channel:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/d268c4_cb0e...76d5295c04.pdf
Appears similar to any digital OTA subchannel - with various shows and movies.

804 - Spydar TV
Action/Adventure programming, also appears similar to a digital OTA subchannel with older content
spydartv

Nice to see some channels added - there was some speculation in other groups with some of the bigger name channels going away or not appearing that CM was pulling the plug on the platform.
post #948 of 956 (permalink) Old 2016-08-05, 01:33 PM
Veteran

I don't have one of these but curious...I don't see any good photos of the innards / mainboard googlin around.
Post 'em if ya got 'em.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #949 of 956 (permalink) Old 2016-08-05, 06:23 PM
Rookie

trouble is nobody wants to void their warranty by opening the box. I'd do it in a heartbeat if my warranty was up.

Last edited by Jase88; 2016-08-08 at 10:54 AM. Reason: UNQ
post #950 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-04-05, 07:28 AM
Rookie

@Inglewood Were you ever able to resolve your hard drive issues? I just installed a CM DVR+ this past weekend and added a Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400). Installation was pretty simple and everything works fine - except when I try to watch recorded programs. I got the dreaded jumpy video and audio dropouts. I then realized that I hadn't immediately installed the software updates during initial setup. I hoped that installing the updates might resolve the issue. No such luck. The reason I got this particular hard drive was because on Amazon, they indicated that this DVR and HD were "frequently bought together", assuming people were having success with the combo. I should note that, so far, I've only recorded programs on CBC. I don't know if it'll be any different with CTV or Global (the only other channels I get). I just don't want to randomly buy different hard drives until I hit one that works...that's not proper trouble-shooting from my standpoint. CM should have figured this out by now, rather than blame hard drives.
post #951 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-04-05, 09:26 AM

@Bluenoseberry ,

I haven't found a full time solution to using the Seagate drive. I do try to avoid watching programs that were recorded on the "bad" channels (CBC is one of them for me, but CTV and Global are fine) when other programs are recording.

I believe the Seagate drive cannot keep up with multiple playback/recordings going on at the same time, as it works OK (it skips maybe once a minute instead of every few seconds) when I watch the recordings on the "bad" channel when nothing else is going on.

I've been watching the prices of WD drives as they seem to be more successful. I've been following the conversation on this website as well that seems to have good information on the drives that are bad and the ones that are good:

Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 474 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I am running the latest firmware - it hasn't seemed to make a difference on the playback capability.

Channel Master support is very poor - it especially is annoying that they had the Seagate drives on their recommended list on their website, and then later removed them.

Beyond the hard drive issues on CBC Toronto and ABC Buffalo, I've had the DVR+ now for 10 months. It has the odd hiccup, but the monthly price of $0 is hard to beat compared to what I was paying Bell.

Once I watch all the programming on my Seagate drive, I'll get one of the WD drives recommended on the forum link above and let everyone know how it goes.
post #952 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-04-05, 10:57 AM
Rookie

@Inglewood Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't recorded anything yet from CTV or Global - I'll report on how that goes. I'll also check out that AVS thread, too. I'm quite happy with how the CM DVR performs, so far, other than recording playback. Admittedly, I've only had it a few days. We'll see how long term goes. I think CM is fortunate that there aren't a whole lot of alternatives on the market, because having to gamble on hard drives isn't a great selling feature. I suppose I should assume some of the blame for this issue. When Amazon indicated that people frequently bought that HD with this DVR, I didn't research any further. Hmmm, my wife takes a LOT of photos. Maybe she needs another HD...
post #953 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-05-17, 10:14 PM

New to OTA section. Got my CM7500 today and setup but I noticed I cannot pause live TV only for the Global channel here in Vancouver. Anybody encounter this? I did search the forum but nothing relevant came up.
post #954 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-05-17, 10:18 PM
Veteran

try recording something on that channel, see if it nags at you instead of recording.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #955 of 956 (permalink) Old 2017-05-20, 01:00 AM

I changed the antenna alignment and it works as expected now.

thanks majortom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.