Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-26, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Has anyone called the 888 number to order?
As others have noted the online form can't deal
with Canadian addresses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-26, 04:46 PM

No - but I did call the number to discuss the order and get a shipping update. No mention of my Canadian credit card was made..

If anyone tries, please post. I will be looking for a second unit if the first one meets my expectations and it would be easier to have it sent here directly.

However, I do NOT think it will happen, as Echostar (DISH) has no setup for the Canadian Market.

Find an American buddy or a US shipping service that will accept your order and forward it to you (for a fee of course...)
post #48 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-26, 11:10 PM
Veteran

The 888 number did not work from Canada...

I am anxiously awaiting to hear how you like this unit. I'll be ordering one for myself if all goes well.

post #49 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 08:27 AM

Oops - you're right about the 888 number. I recall I had to use Skype to call them. Sorry I forgot to mention that...

Stu
post #50 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu View Post
I am VERY excited to get this! My only worry os the picture quality.... as my ATSC tuner in TV is stunning. I hope the tiny degradation that is likely is negligible.
I don't see any reason for degradation. ATSC is digital, so the DVR should just store the bits on the hard drive, then play them back. The only way you would degradation is if the DVR was doing additional compression to save disk space.
post #51 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 11:13 AM

Actually, I am not worried about the DVR portion but the tuner portion.

I did an experiment a while back and noticed that my Sammy HDTV STB (hooked up to a secondary "HD Ready" TV normally) delivers an inferior HD picture when compared to my main TV's built in ATSC Tuner.

My concern then is the the new DTVPal DVR tuner hardware may not deliver as crisp and near perfect a picture as the purpose built tuner in my TV.

Stu
post #52 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
tenstu,
I hope you realize that there is no digital TVGoS data being broadcast in the Buffalo region yet. I am hopeful that by Feb 2009 that may change, but as of last month WIVB in Buffalo is not and has no immediate plans to do so.
see page 4, particularly post 57:
TVGOS in Canada

el Gran Chico, thanks for the link to the manual. I will peruse it tonight when I have more time.
TVGOS is apparently now available from WIVB Buffalo - according to this site:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos

I was reading the official DTVPal DVR thread in a US based forum and came across the info at the link above.

When I get my unit in a week or so, I will confirm.

Stu
post #53 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 09:32 AM
Veteran

tenstu,
Awesome news! I bet many people in southern Ontario and north west NY state will appreciate your info.
I'm still hesitant about this about the DTVPAL DVR now that I know it no longer has an NTSC tuner, as the original specs indicated. Personally I think my long term objective is better served by building an HTPC. Looking forward to your review.
post #54 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko
I'm still hesitant about this about the DTVPAL DVR now that I know it no longer has an NTSC tuner, as the original specs indicated. Personally I think my long term objective is better served by building an HTPC. Looking forward to your review.
Yes indeed I am also looking forward to the review, even though I have been using my HTPC for the last three years, with access to both multi tuners ATSCís and NTSCís tuners Via OTA. To tell the truth I canít say to much bad about HTPC's and I have not even touch its full capacity, as donít need some of them or prefer other options.

I have enjoyed such things as,

Ö Full blown PVR (HD 5-channel audio), time shift recording multiple program recording. Viewing picture in picture from three sources at the same time different channels. It sure comes in handy when you are watching the three news channels and what to avoid watching commercials. You heard of people channel hoping? Well no more one click or push of remote and you can select the station not broadcasting commercials.
Ö Multiple monitor support. Viewing large screen TV and running computer at same time.
Ö Recording and viewing different programs at the same time.
Ö Streaming live OTA TV HD & Analog or recorded video via internet to multiple computers.
Ö Full video & audio editing capabilities, including program commercial removal etc.
Ö Home monitoring & security.

I could go on and on but I will let you find out for yourself, itís pretty well endless what you can do, with some imagination To tell you the truth I havenít even figure out or used all the capabilities of mine yet, but I am still having fun!

One of my friends went another direction using a relatively new system called Archos media player http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en that wasnít available when I began assembling my system. It is very powerful and quite flexible system and can do many things. I might have gone this way if they had it a few years back. The only down side I see itís a little pricey, although assembling a good HTPC be as well. If youíre thinking of HTPC itís worth a looking into.

Happy New Year!
post #55 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 04:18 PM

Biggy - what OS/front end are you using for you htpc?

We ditched 3 htpc's about 18 months ago because MS does not support ota hdtv in Canada. You have to hack it to get it to work properly and even then, the guide data is not complete. Apparently, the new Vista HD TV Pack is not Canadian compatible. I bought 2 appleTv's to replace the non TV/DVR functionality I lost by selling them.

My final link in the replacement chain (the DTVPal DVR) will be here a week Tuesday (the 13th) when my friend delivers it from Wisconsin.

I am excited to play with it and will post thoughts here ASAP.
post #56 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Biggy - what OS/front end are you using for you htpc?
Iím still using XP Pro with several other programs ATI Multimedia Cat, GBRVR, BTV
GEM Star, Titan, itís not elegant but usable. I have stayed away from MS Multi Media and Vista for now.

The heart of my system is based on 3 GHz Quad processor, 4gig RAM, lots HDrís AIW X1900 and ATSC, NTSC tuners. Some of the new hardware incorporates flags, so if they donít want you to copy it they just shut you down. That is one reason I carefully selected each component in fact at the time I was assembling mine I had hard time finding an AWI X1900 as they were been phased out by AMD.

Quote:
We ditched 3 htpc's about 18 months ago because MS does not support ota hdtv in Canada.
Since I am not using the new Vista Media Vista HD TV Pack I canít really comment on that. But I know what you mean have look at Peters Nears Blog he has some interesting comments.
http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/pnea...22/202706.aspx
http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php?topic=9593.0
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/59161.aspx

Looks like we have been left out in the dark for now.

Since there was so much demand for the AIW series they earlier this year AMD introduced a new AIW HD model, if I were take another crack it I would have a good look at it as well. Available US only, I havenít heard of anyone selling in Canada yet, but be for warned ATI software is known to be very difficult to get it up and running. http://ati.amd.com/products/aiwhd/index.html

Seems like many manufactures are just starting to see the light and lots of new and exciting HD products are coming on line like the DTV Pal.

But us poor Canucks seem to always one step behind or is it two? Iím just waiting to see what new products are going to introduce at this years CES.

BTW What did your HTPCs consist of what MMedia Software etc.?
post #57 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 08:36 PM

XP MCE. Then Vista Ultimate (I was an original beta tester - with Pete Near actually - and the gold RTM prompted me to sell the MCE machines and all other MS based PC's in our home - we now use only Apple products in the house for everything)

I am looking forward to getting the DTVPal DVR. I have read lots of first hand reports from US users and with the exception of the usual DOA units and other production related niggles etc... the feedback is mainly positive.

I think for folks with our fortunate proximity to so many OTA goodies, it is an essential piece of the puzzle.

Stu
post #58 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu
the gold RTM prompted me to sell the MCE machines and all other MS based PC's in our home
I am not sure what issues you are relating to in regards to gold RTM? Gold "release to manufacture"? I assume it has to do with XP SP3 Final release or Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy
AMD introduced a new AIW HD model, if I were take another crack it I would have a good look at it as well. Available US only
My mistake, I haven't looked around for awhile this product since earlier this year, but I just notice that several Canadian internet computer retailers are now selling it, NIXz and Egg'e have it. Here's a utube review as well you might find interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNsQeHtci3I

Would be nice if it had a dual ATSC tuner
post #59 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 12:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Lets not get into too much detail about PCs and software so that the thread stays on topic. You can follow up on those PC-only details in the HTPC forum as you wish.

The points you give in favour of the DTV Pal over the others are appreciated. It gives me some ideas for a future poll.

Let's get back to the DTV Pal.

cheers
post #60 of 956 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu View Post
My final link in the replacement chain (the DTVPal DVR) will be here a week Tuesday (the 13th) when my friend delivers it from Wisconsin.

I am excited to play with it and will post thoughts here ASAP.
Tenstu, do you have the ability to test what happens if you connect a DTVPal DVR to one display via hdmi and another display via component video simultaneously? If it works on both outputs concurrently, my interest in this product goes up tremendously.

Thanks!

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio

Last edited by El Gran Chico; 2009-01-07 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.