Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel Master DVRs For OTA

362K views 982 replies 152 participants last post by  Gibsons 
#1 ·
This should work in Canada too. My TV guide on my old DVD recorder displayed Canadian TV station content, so this machine should too.

From C-Net:

EchoStar TR-50: An HD DVR for those without cable or satellite
(Credit: EchoStar)

If you think everybody has cable or satellite, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, if you live in an area that's well-served by digital broadcasters, now's a better time than ever to get your TV over the air (or "OTA," as the cool kids say): yeah, you get only a handful of channels, but they're in crystal-clear digital quality--DVD quality at "worst," uncompressed high-definition at best. The problem--as we're reminded by many an e-mailer--is that there just isn't a good DVR solution for the rabbit-ears crowd, especially if you prefer high-def. (You can opt for a TiVo HD, but you'd still have to pay a monthly fee for their programming guide.) But that may finally be changing, thanks to the EchoStar TR-50. For all intents and purposes, the TR-50 takes many of the features found on Dish Networks' excellent satellite DVRs (such as the ViP622 and 722) and brings them to antenna-based TV viewers.

The unit offers ATSC and NTSC tuners, so it can view and record over-the-air HD digital, standard digital, and analog channels. Dual tuner action means you can watch (and record) one live channel while simultaneously recording a second--or record two channels while playing back a previously recorded show. There's also full control over live TV, including rewind, pause, slow motion, 10-second "instant replay," and--for recordings--30-second skip. The TR-50 also sports a 7-day electronic program guide (using over-the-air metadata on the digital band), which should eliminate the pesky VCR-style manual "timer recordings" (you remember: "8:00-9:00 p.m. / Thursdays / channel 4"). The box also has a full range of outputs, including component and HDMI (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i resolutions supported), as well as standard-def composite and RF outputs for older TVs. Dish hasn't yet specified the internal hard drive size, but the USB 2.0 connector will ensure expandable storage. Perhaps most interestingly, the TR-50 includes an Ethernet port and the ability to decode MPEG-4 video, and EchoStar touts its ability to "access premium Internet-based TV programming via broadband Internet," as well as "DVR management and timer creation via Internet"--though the timeframe for such features wasn't disclosed. Likewise, the exact release date and pricing information remain a mystery. But if it's affordable--and lacks TiVo's monthly fee--the TR-50 may be the perfect fit for TV viewers without satellite or cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule.

Separately, EchoStar also announced the TR-40. That model is merely a digital set-top box (no DVR). It will let analog TV owners (or those with HD monitors that lack a tuner) receive digital and high-def signals over the air--a necessity after the scheduled February 2009 analog TV shutdown.

#902 ·
Laurienicol

Unless you need the single box for space reasons, I'd go for an external drive. You can buy a larger drive for the price CM is adding on, and with the external it's no problem to download saved recordings to your PC for burning. There's even a program called DVR+ Lister a user has created that will help with the transfer by identifying which recording is which from the file structure of the hard drive.

My personal preference would be to get a "DVR" or "Surveillance" drive and a hard drive enclosure with separate power plug - as opposed to simply plugging a USB drive directly into the DVR+. Western Digital's Purple line fits the bill, if my memory serves correctly.

Also, I believe CM is still saying 2TB drives should be avoided, although their explanation as to why is pretty shaky (something about some 2TB drives actually being two 1TB drive daisy chained together, which confuses the DVR+). Apparently these drives do exist, but aren't common by any means.

#904 ·
Hey Steve, thanks for the additional info.
Some more pictures scraped from the internet, pointing out some of the CM7000 DVR capacitor failures, that others have experienced, which Steve mentions.
laurienicol, If it were me, I would cut to the chase, identify each one of these and replace them all with new parts. Let us know if ya need some help with that.

#905 ·
Thanks majortom. I have nothing to lose if I screw it up.

Is it just the 4 in Picture 1. Or is it a lot more? It looks like an additional 5 in picture 3.

I haven't soldered a curcuit board since Heathkit, but I am not afraid. I still have my soldering iron and and my VOM. And I still get parts from the electronic parts stores so I should be able to get the capacitors locally (RP)

laurie

#906 ·
Picture 1 is identifying 4 caps on the Main Board, one of which is also shown in the closeup of pic 2.
Pic3 is pointing out 1 bad cap on the power supply, next to that
HD power connector. Pic 4 an 5 are showing the same caps from Pic1.
Picture 3, 4, 5 were shot by the same person. The first two were from
others. So, I would probably try to identify the 4 from Pic1, and the one from the power supply board. Start by replacing those,and see what happens. Like I said, sometimes caps fail, but it isn't quite visible to the eye yet. A test with a good ESR meter/capacitor checker would pinpoint, but you probably don't have one.

By identifying them, I mean make a list of their component designation,
Capacitance, Working Voltage Rating, and rated temperature.
So you can document here (for yourself, and the next guy here) and use to make a list of suitable
replacement parts.

#908 ·
While a higher voltage rating won't 'hurt', there is a chance it may not fit the same way in the PCB. By increasing Capacitance, now your altering the design of the circuit. I always try to replace with exact replacement parts, except for Temperature. If the original was rated for 85 deg C, go for 105 deg C. If the original was 105 deg C, then I'd use at least 105 deg C.
While looking for where to source replacement parts, may as well pickup some solder wick
and / or a solder sucker to aid in removal / cleaning out the holes... And do keep a wet sponge handy in order to periodically clean the tip of the iron while working on it.

#910 ·
LOL, yes of course, do pay attention to polarity...
If in doubt, may help to take a photo of each area before ya start, and work on one at a time.

#911 ·
CM7000PAL Capacitor Repacement

My thanks to all for the advice, pictures suggestions etc., especially majortom.
I replaced 1 capacitor. My finger told me that one capacitor on the lower board (green) was bulging (this was my second look). I missed it first time around. It did have to be on the harder board to take out.
So off to the electronics store in town. They didn't have a 2200 uF 10 volt in stock, so I got a 15V.

I got the old one out and the new one in.

Cross your fingers. It's been up and running 5 hours now.

#912 ·
Awesome, now that's what I'm talkin about...that's gettin er done...
Good job!
So yours was C34 as indicated in the 2nd photo of post #903?
Fingers are crossed for ya:)

Edit: Oh yeah, now that ya resized your photos, that baby was toast:)

#913 ·
I recently just upgraded to dual 8-bay antennas and I am finally getting all the channels I want except CHCH in my location. The challenge I have now is that I run my antenna to my Bell 9242 PVR, which will only continue to work while I have a subscription. I am ready to cut the cord depending on what PVR solutions I can find.

I have been looking at the Channel Master DVR+ as a replacement, however, I understand that the program guide isn't always complete. For example, it should have 2 weeks of programming in the guide, however, in some Canadian locations it doesn't account for all channels. I have found that some areas have found ways around the problem by using alternative postal codes, where other areas cannot get around this issue. I cannot find anyone in Niagara who has commented on this receiver, and if they can get a full program guide. I have read some users in the GTA get almost all channels except Global to show up.

Is anyone using the Channel Master DVR+ successfully in Niagara, and what postal code are you using to get the full 2-week guide?

#914 ·
Inglewood, I am in Niagara on the Lake (L0S 1J0).
I just received a DVR+ purchased used on eBay. Part of the setup includes your location. The software accepts Canada as a country and then will allow Postal Code and time zone entry. Rovi populated fairly quickly and correctly (at least so far).

#915 ·
Inglewood

The Rovi listings work pretty well. I'm north of TO, but the only channels that still depend on PSIP are 29.3 Grit-TV and the new Comet-TV subchannel at 49.3...and possibly 7.3 Escape.

Red Knave will know better than I, but your main problem may be that Rovi doesn't always provide listings for Repeater Stations. In your area that might include 6.1 Global, 13.1 CKCO, 28.1 TVO, or 35.1 CTV2. It also won't give listings from more than one market, so if you're getting channels from London they also might be PSIP only.

Good luck.

#917 ·
Red Knave

I mis-posted as well. 29.3 was missing when it first went on the air, but has since been added by Rovi. I imagine they'll get around to 7.3 and 49.3 eventually. Hmmm, actually Rovi must be providing those useless "Off Air" listings for 7.3 My CM7000 DVR is PSIP only at this point, and shows full details for 7.3, and channels with neither PSIP or Rovi show as "No Information" in the grid.

Are you sure about 35.1? On the rare occasions it comes in, I will only get 8-12 hours of listings, whereas WBBZ 67.1/2/3/4 always shows two full weeks even though I receive those channels even more rarely than 35.1 Of course, I may be considered out of market for 35.1

There are three easy ways to determine whether it's Rovi or PSIP listings for a channel. If there's a colour logo in the grid listings, it's almost certainly Rovi. PSIP channels have an empty square. You can also move ahead a week or 10 days in the grid listings. PSIP channels will eventually run out of data. And lastly, if you press the Info button while actually watching a specific channel, there's a Rovi logo or "powered by Rovi" message in the lower right hand corner of the info box.

Enjoy your DVR+. I almost never watch live TV anymore. It's all chase play and pre-recorded shows.

#918 ·
And, naturally, I mis-posted again. It's 36.1 that I get, NOT 35.1 (35.1 won't lock so I can't check).
Also, 7.3 shows the logo (Escape) so, as you say, that Off Air message is probably from Rovi. Interestingly, 7.2 (Laff) shows no logo but gets data. (Not sure if it's PSIP, the boss is watching right now so I can't check how far out the guide goes) I also am missing logos for a few other random channels, 57.1 CITY is one for sure.

For sure I'm happier with the DVR+ than I was with my HTPC whether it was running Windows, Linux, XBMC/Kodi etc. Also, I'm MUCH happier than with the Homeworx 150. Rovi data may not be perfect but it's still pretty good considering there is no additional cost for it. The channels and shows Rovi doesn't have are not ones I would record anyway.

We have transitioned, post satellite, from 85% live/15% recorded to more like 60/40 so the day is probably coming when it reverses. I think there will always be a place for live TV for me.

Thanks for the Rovi/PSIP info Steve.

#919 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I haven't watched live TV in almost a decade since PVR's came out, and before that I had probably 50 VHS tapes on the go, so I am looking forward to getting myself an OTA DVR.

I'm 99% sure now about getting a CM DVR+ after the holidays - just weaning the family off of the Satellite the next few weeks before the cord is finally cut...and the great thing is that I probably can get about the same price for my outdated Bell 9242 as I can buy at CM DVR+ these days on eBay!

The guide will be something that will be an improvement as the 9242 has no guide for OTA and requires manual timers and manually entering the title for each program, and has been the only major complaint my family has about going OTA.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

#920 ·
Channel Master Adds Sling TV to their OTA DVR

Jan 7, 2016 by Josh Pollard

Sling+TV+and+DVR+Channel Master has become one of the go-to DVRs in the over-the-air space. The Channel Master DVR+ is a fairly simple device. You plug an over-the-air antenna and external hard drive into it, and you get a nice little DVR. That’s great if you only care about the content you can get over-the-air, but what if you just can’t kick that sports habit, or you simply must watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead the night it comes out? You’re probably going to need ESPN and AMC to get your fix. Unfortunately, cable subscriptions are expensive, which is probably why you ditched cable in favor of an antenna. That’s where Sling TV comes in.

Last year at CES DISH Network announced Sling TV. It’s a service that provides many of the most common pay-tv channels, like ESPN, CNN, Disney, and AMC, through an internet streaming service. Perhaps the best part about Sling TV is that it only costs $20 per month.

This year at CES Channel Master announced that their DVR+ will now support Sling TV. That means that with just one device you can watch and record your favorite broadcast shows over-the-air, and still keep up with all the premium content. Did we mention that DVR+ doesn’t require a monthly subscription fee? Most of its competitors do. Did we mention that Sling TV isn’t the only over-the-top service supported by DVR+? It already has most of the other services you’re probably looking for including Netflix, Youtube, Vudu, Pandora, and more.

With the addition of Sling TV to an already robust and low-cost system, Channel Master’s DVR+ is quickly becoming the cord-cutter’s best choice for a single device that can give them access to all the content they actually want. Keep an eye on The Digital Media Zone to see if any of Channel Master’s competitors can catch up, or surpass, their unique value proposition.

Channel Master Adds Sling TV to their OTA DVR | The Digital Media Zone

#922 ·
Sling tv can be accessed in Canada similar way that Netflix USA is being accessed.

When it comes to OTA PVR's I do not think that Channel master is even close to offer service that other known company provides.
I am sure that Channel master will never catch up to them.

#924 ·
Damn! And there's the killshot!

Looking at a youtube video, the guide only has the channel names on it. I wonder if that's a limitation or just something they haven't worked on yet?

(as long as getting around geo-blocking is still possible)

#925 ·
Current Release 132R (1/5/2016)

Past Releases: 124R (6/11/2015)

Past Releases: 114R (11/21/2014)

Past Releases: 111R (9/15/2014)

Past Releases: 108R (5/21/2014)

Important Information about Software Release 132R (January 5, 2015)

! If you are having trouble downloading over a WiFi connection, please try connecting your DVR+ directly to your router or modem with an Ethernet cable as WiFi is not always reliable for an uninterrupted download of a software update.

SlingTV on Channel 903 - Watch ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, CNN, History Channel and more.
The Remote four colored buttons have been restored when viewing DVR recordings: red = delete, green = search, yellow = sort, blue = change view (series/schedule/recordings).
Miscellaneous Minor Improvements.

DVR+ Software Update ? Support

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.