Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel Master DVRs For OTA

363K views 982 replies 152 participants last post by  Gibsons 
#1 ·
This should work in Canada too. My TV guide on my old DVD recorder displayed Canadian TV station content, so this machine should too.

From C-Net:

EchoStar TR-50: An HD DVR for those without cable or satellite
(Credit: EchoStar)

If you think everybody has cable or satellite, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, if you live in an area that's well-served by digital broadcasters, now's a better time than ever to get your TV over the air (or "OTA," as the cool kids say): yeah, you get only a handful of channels, but they're in crystal-clear digital quality--DVD quality at "worst," uncompressed high-definition at best. The problem--as we're reminded by many an e-mailer--is that there just isn't a good DVR solution for the rabbit-ears crowd, especially if you prefer high-def. (You can opt for a TiVo HD, but you'd still have to pay a monthly fee for their programming guide.) But that may finally be changing, thanks to the EchoStar TR-50. For all intents and purposes, the TR-50 takes many of the features found on Dish Networks' excellent satellite DVRs (such as the ViP622 and 722) and brings them to antenna-based TV viewers.

The unit offers ATSC and NTSC tuners, so it can view and record over-the-air HD digital, standard digital, and analog channels. Dual tuner action means you can watch (and record) one live channel while simultaneously recording a second--or record two channels while playing back a previously recorded show. There's also full control over live TV, including rewind, pause, slow motion, 10-second "instant replay," and--for recordings--30-second skip. The TR-50 also sports a 7-day electronic program guide (using over-the-air metadata on the digital band), which should eliminate the pesky VCR-style manual "timer recordings" (you remember: "8:00-9:00 p.m. / Thursdays / channel 4"). The box also has a full range of outputs, including component and HDMI (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i resolutions supported), as well as standard-def composite and RF outputs for older TVs. Dish hasn't yet specified the internal hard drive size, but the USB 2.0 connector will ensure expandable storage. Perhaps most interestingly, the TR-50 includes an Ethernet port and the ability to decode MPEG-4 video, and EchoStar touts its ability to "access premium Internet-based TV programming via broadband Internet," as well as "DVR management and timer creation via Internet"--though the timeframe for such features wasn't disclosed. Likewise, the exact release date and pricing information remain a mystery. But if it's affordable--and lacks TiVo's monthly fee--the TR-50 may be the perfect fit for TV viewers without satellite or cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule.

Separately, EchoStar also announced the TR-40. That model is merely a digital set-top box (no DVR). It will let analog TV owners (or those with HD monitors that lack a tuner) receive digital and high-def signals over the air--a necessity after the scheduled February 2009 analog TV shutdown.

#877 ·
Jakeman3

Yeah, it's still there. Used to be on RF6, now it's RF17 (6.1). But you won't get listings with just a postal code change. You have to have received the channel at least once for it to be on your channel list. If you could snag it just once for a few minutes, you would then have the full stats every day. I've never had a sniff - too far away - and when the tropo's good Channel 9 Syracuse (RF17) seems just strong enough to cancel it out.

#882 ·
Jakeman

I haven't checked in a few days so I'll take another look tonight and report back. There was definitely listings for multiple days when I looked before.

However, you might try rebooting the machine (while in standby, hold down the power button for about 5 seconds). Somtimes changes in the guide won't update until you do.

#884 ·
How about using the Free Zap2it Listings for your CM DVR, is that not possible? I started using them for my HTPC with Kodi. Setup is a little tricky because you have to install Perl and run a small batch file to generate the XML file. It populates quickly and provides all the channels including LAFF and Escape. I don't use any PSIP provided listings.

#886 ·
Received this with a contact phone number for Rovi to an inquiry I have.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear [ deleted ]:

Thank you for your interest in Rovi's solutions. This is an automatically generated response to let you know that we received your inquiry. Please do not reply to this message. We will forward your information to the appropriate contact for follow-up.

You should expect to hear back from us shortly.

In the meantime, should you wish to reach us by telephone, please feel free to call us at 1-866-686-8947.

Sincerely,
The Rovi Team

#887 ·
As channelmaster is now streaming their next firmware update customers are now seeing the linear video additional of apps.

Channel Master Brings Linear OTT Channels to DVR+ | Multichannel

Reviews that I'm hearing on the apps is the one's that were added are not adding value to the new platform .

The software update still hasn't been posted for download .So I'm not sure what bug fixes were included .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chann...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDRkZHRUMwXzEEc2VjA3Ny

Channel Master TV also provides opportunities for independent production companies and online broadcast startups. "In addition to mainstream content such as news channels, we're also interested in unique programming," said Coty Youtsey, president and CEO. "We can turn a live web stream into a branded TV channel and put it in living rooms across North America, without the need to develop an app. It's a great opportunity to grow an audience."

#888 ·
They moved some buttons around. 2.5 hours Forward (added) and Back, and 1 Day Forward and Back have been moved to the FF/RW and Skip Forward/Back buttons. The coloured buttons now send you to the streaming channels at the end of the guide. Unfortunately, the Quick Delete (red) and Recorded Program Alpha/Date Sort (green) buttons no longer function as before.

They also added a "Force Rovi Update" option to one of the Channel sub-menus.

The one bug fix I can find that they have apparently fixed is the 2tb limit (on a 3tb drive the box would show the full size but would only record to a max of 2.2tb) Can't verify this one yet, as it seems a reformat of the drive is necessary.

The streamed channels cannot be recorded, paused, rewound or make use of any other chase play features. There are at present no specific program listings in the guide for the streamed channels - just generic station identifiers.

Steve

#889 ·
More info on the changes -

Important Information about Software Release 123R (June 8, 2015)

A new software version (123R) was made available for direct download from the DVR+ on June 8, 2015. If you are connected to the internet, you should be able to automatically download this new software. If you are not connected to the internet, we apologize that we have not made this new software available for download on this page for USB updating. We are working on a follow-up software build that will go out soon and when it does, we will post that version here when available.

! If you are having trouble downloading over a WiFi connection, please try connecting your DVR+ directly to your router or modem with an Ethernet cable as WiFi is not always reliable for an uninterrupted download of a software update.

In software version 123, we have introduced many enhancements in addition to the new Channel Master TV feature. The main enhancements include:

New settings menu for managing channels
Custom factory reset option
Ability to record a current event if it is in the pause buffer
The DVR setup menu indicates if it is currently using external or internal storage
Resume Playback option has been removed for recordings that have been fully played
On-screen low-battery warning for the remote control
An option to refresh the 14-day guide data
Font LED light consistency fix
Search error fix
Menus are viewable on 4KTVs
Pass through audio enabled for AV receivers

One additional change you will notice is that we have modified the functionality of a few buttons on the remote control. This change was made to support future developments. Below is a list of the new button functionality.
DVR+ Software Update ? Support

#890 ·
Looks like a few bumps along the way with the 124R release already to address issues -

We realize that some of you experienced issues after installing 123R and we've been jumping on things as fast as we can. 124R fixed the bulk of it, mainly issues with the On Demand apps. We are aware that some of you are still having issues with YouTube, getting audio but no video. We're on it.

We're going to have more info for you next week in the form of a letter that addresses a lot of your questions about the Internet channels and some of the other updates.

Please understand that this new linear streaming service is a first of its kind in a consumer product. We have plans to do a lot more with it! This service is also brand new to the industry, so we are extremely grateful to our content launch partners who agreed to test the waters with us to bring you new FREE stuff

Update here -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubm80f6n8dc3ejl/124R_prod_signed_usb_download.str?dl=0

#891 ·
CM-7000 PAL hangs up

I love my CM-7000 PAL DVR (it has a better tuner than my TV). I have a newer PHD-VRX but it's too slow.
I've replaced my hard drive twice (easy-peasy) but this time the symptoms are different.

For a couple of weeks it has just been hanging up. I have to pull the cord to get a re-boot to free it up.
Was lasting days before it would hang up again. Now it's only minutes.
The diagnostics sections on the menu is worse than useless. Just tells you the status (you re-booted 3 minutes ago.)
I could get another hard drive to repair it. This one lasted a year, but I don't think it is the same problem.
Any ideas?

Laurie in Ladner BC with a 2006 Panasonic Plasma and the CM DVR.

#892 ·
Laurie, you can reboot the device by holding down the power button on the remote. I'm not sure if you knew this or not, or if it's not working in the present condition of the DVR.

I must be lucky (knock on wood). I've had my CM7000 for at least 4 years now and have never had to replace the HD. The unit has it's oddities, but keeps plugging away.

There is a fan that operates 24x7 on the device. I would ensure that the air intake on the left side is clear of dust and obstructions. Also try doing a reset and complete rescan.

It could be the HD...perhaps some corrupt data is hanging the device?! Try formatting the drive which can be done from the device HDD menu.

Otherwise, it might be time to replace...

#893 ·
Maybe take a look inside and see if any Capacitors are going bad.
Most if not all electronics have a power supply module, which can develop leaky Capacitors with time. Strange things will happen without good clean DC Power from the power supply module.

#894 ·
I've re-set the PVR to factory settings and it has been good all afternoon.

I have a fan I bought, "in case", the last time I replaced the HD but didn't put in 'cause the one in the machine seemed good. If it goes on the fritz time again, I'll take it apart and check for swollen capacitors , and if the fan isn't working right.
Thanks Guys,for the suggestions.

PS: If the HD is bad, I'll consider a solid state HD as a replacement. I've asked my computer repair guy if he can check it out, but I think the HD is good. Still records and no stuttering like last time.

laurie

#895 ·
I took my PVR apart. The capacitors look OK, No swelling or distortion. The fan was a little dusty. Worked just the same as the replacement fan, and perhaps even started a little easier. When the machine hung up, the fan was still drawing air.

It may be the tuner. The little metal box where the co-axial cable enters, is a little warm. Is the tuner in there?

If it is the HD , maybe I'll borrow one from my Computer fixit guy, but as I've lost 2 HD before, the symtoms are not the same. No shaky picture before it went down, and pulling the plug, re-boots the PVR.
laurie

#896 ·
For the time being I would probably go with the assumption that the tuner module is OK.
Until I could prove otherwise, I would still suspect bad capacitors in the power supply, even if they appear OK by visual inspection. They can be 'leaky' (meaning they develop some Effective Series Resistance) but still appear to look ok. If you have a digital multimeter, you could likely find where to monitor the key DC output voltages from the power supply.
Might be some markings on the board like, +5V,-5v, +12V, -12V, etc, etc...
If you monitored them with it on, they should be solid on the meter's DC voltage setting, and with it on AC voltage there should be very close zero AC volts even on the lowest AC volt scale at every DC power test point identified. If you were to measure any AC voltage on any of the power supply DC output test points that were approaching say 5% or so of the expected DC output voltage, that section likely has a bad capacitor, but hasn't failed to the point you can visually see it yet.

Only if it passed that test would I assume the power supply is OK.
Call me the devil's advocate, but I have just seen my share of capacitors fail over the years in all sorts of electronics, NOT to be suspicious.

#897 ·
I give up. I put in a brand new hard drive and thought I had it beat. It wasn't the hard drive. I'll miss the CM7000PAL but I have a PHD VRX recorder that I'll stick in, until I convince myself that I need the new CM DVR+
Thanks for all the suggestions.
PS, The young bride is pushing to get her cablevision back

#899 ·
^^^^ I noticed this as well. Initially the unit required an external HDD. I assume they modified the product for those wanting an all-in-one solution.

Given the poor quality HDD installed in DVR's such as the CM7000, I think I would opt for an external. This will ease replacement, and you can buy a better HDD and get one sized to your needs.

I too have been looking for a replacement for my aging CM7000. There are more options available, including network attached solutions. But the DVR+ offers lifetime guide data included...and this is difficult to beat.

#900 ·
IS the CM unit your having an issue with the same as the 'DTV Pal DVR" units that Dishnetwork used to sell ~ 2008 or 2009, 2010??
I am still suspicous of the power supply. Can you take a picture of it, and post it?

Quote from another forum focused on electronics repair:
We have 2 of the original DTV pal units. So far, failures have been near identical.

Main problem is that you start getting erratic operation and lock-ups that at the beginning a hardware reset seems to help and progresses to a total lock-up.
Without opening ours, swap out the largest electrolytic at the power supply and in the unit. It's probably domed/swollen on top. Cures the problem.
Edit:
I found these pictures on the internet. Your unit looks like this inside, correct?
https://db.tt/1MMCWre6
If so, this connector where the pwr supply mates to the main board is of particular interest.
https://db.tt/pfHReJ6M

Do you have a digital voltmeter available to measure the DC voltages at each point while powered up and loaded (hard drive connected and spinning).

#901 ·
Laurienicol

I have to back up majortom's comments about bulging capacitors on the CM7000/DTV PAL. I've seen numerous postings on the issue, and in most cases replacing the capacitors has fixed the problems you're seeing. The bulging can be quite hard to see, sometimes just the top bulges slightly. C-34, (under the hood) C237, and C242 seem to be the main culprits.

Knock wood, mine is still going strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.