Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 06:18 AM

My understanding is that it wants to use TVGOS as a default but can also use PSIP data in its absence... no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Preliminary manual on Satelliteguys.us
As someone elsewhere on the web pointed out, portions of that manual look like they have been cut & pasted from the DTV Pal manual. I suspect the final version will be significantly different.

Quote:
My understanding is that it wants to use TVGOS as a default but can also use PSIP data in its absence... no?
That's what the beta testers are saying and appears to be the case based on what I have read in the preliminary manual.

A beta tester (Islandguy43) from Grand Island NY (i.e Buffalo), was getting 24 hours worth of data for WIVB, which indicates that it is likely not getting data from TVGOS but from PSIP. This correlates to my post in the TVGOS thread about the fact there is currently no digital TVGOS metadata being broadcast in the Buffalo area. The good news is that this same beta tester reported strong signal strength for the Buffalo stations while using indoor rabbit ears - indication of a new generation tuner.
post #33 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-12, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

DTVPal DVR does use TVGOS as it's guide when TVGOS data is available. The DTVPal DVR manual shows screenshots of the guide and it shows the TV Guide logo in the upper right corner of the guide. The guide itself looks very similar to the DTVPal / TR-40 guide. It has at least one additional search feature over the TR-40 in that you can "Use Themes and Search to find programs to watch."
I'm hoping it also carries over the feature of knowing which shows are new vs repeats from the TV Guide data.

post #34 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 09:12 AM

Here is some great news
Quote:
After a delay of several months, Dish Network will be releasing the DTVPal DVR in mid-December. The antenna-friendly HD DVR will retail for $250 (after a $50 instant rebate).

You may remember the DTV Pal DVR as the EchoStar TR-50. That's the name under which it was launched at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, where it garnered CNET's Best of CES award for the home video category.

The latest iteration of the DTVPal DVR is pictured above. While the name and look of the product have changed a bit, it appears that it retains its core feature set: the ability to record digital TV programming to its internal hard drive (30 hours of HD video or 150 hours of standard-def), a 7-day electronic programming guide, and--the big one--no additional subscription fee or contract. That last point is a big distinction from TiVo DVRs, which require a subscription fee above and beyond the cost of the hardware. Dish is also reaffirming that the device supports closed captioning, program search, and analog passthrough.

The DTVPal DVR will be available for pre-order starting November 19 at dtvpal.com. (It's not eligible for the $40 government DTV coupon, which is why Dish is throwing in the instant rebate.)
Taken from

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10093628-1.html

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-14 at 11:24 AM.
post #35 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-14, 09:20 AM

Thanks maddawg - nice find.

I for one will be trying to find a way to get one ASAP as it is the last piece of the puzzle for our switch to OTA only TV.

I think Echostar should win the award however for this years most frequently postponed ship date! Yikes - I hope they are better with software updates down the road!

Stu
post #36 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 12:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Post DTV Pal DVR user manual

The user manual is now online at:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/do...Pal_DVR_UG.pdf

I read though it and come up with a few questions (I guess these are rhetorical for now since no one actually has one):
  • What generation tuner does it have?
  • Do the HDMI and component video outputs work simultaneously?
  • Can you manually add/delete channels?
  • Is the playback quality the same as if you are watching live?

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #37 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 02:36 PM

Location: St-Hubert QC, Attic CM4221 clone, CM7777, WMC 8.1, 4 HDHomerun tuners, 2 XBox 360 as receivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
Can you manually add/delete channels?
Apparently it is possible, page 43:

Quote:
5. Check the signal strength on your over-the-air channels. Using your
DTVPal DVR remote control, press MENU, select Setup, System
Setup, Channel Setup, then Add a New Channel. Find a channel that
is experiencing problems, and verify that it has a strong signal.
Channels with an indicated signal strength below approximately 60 are
likely to experience loss of video.
Another interesting fact is that it requires 60 (percent?) to be able to have a stable lock. Also, there is no Canadian postal code support in the DVR, only zip codes.
post #38 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 02:44 PM

Just ordered mine and shipped it to a friend in the US. Only worry now is not being able to provide a proper Canadian billing address for my credit card. Might not be as easy as I thought - but so far, all seems like it went through OK. Might even get it before the New Year!

Not too worried about the Zip issue - as 14072 plugged in to Zap2It gives me all Buffalo and Toronto OTA DT stations. I am hopeful the same will be the case here. Remember though, it also can pull PSIP guide data - meaning if you receive a Canadian OTA channel with data - you should get the guide info too.

Stu
post #39 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 04:36 PM
Veteran

tenstu,
I hope you realize that there is no digital TVGoS data being broadcast in the Buffalo region yet. I am hopeful that by Feb 2009 that may change, but as of last month WIVB in Buffalo is not and has no immediate plans to do so.
see page 4, particularly post 57:
TVGOS in Canada

el Gran Chico, thanks for the link to the manual. I will peruse it tonight when I have more time.
post #40 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 10:53 AM

As I mention in the post above - #38 - it can also pull PSIP data in the absence of TVGOS - which is pretty much all we have at present anyway. I don't see this as a drawback in any way with regard to the unit itself. Plus, if Buffalo joins in down the road - I'm equipped. And, with an ethernet jack for 'future use', maybe guide data could eventually be available from the internet to appease those markets like Buffalo.
post #41 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu View Post
Just ordered mine and shipped it to a friend in the US. Only worry now is not being able to provide a proper Canadian billing address for my credit card. Might not be as easy as I thought - but so far, all seems like it went through OK. Might even get it before the New Year!

Not too worried about the Zip issue - as 14072 plugged in to Zap2It gives me all Buffalo and Toronto OTA DT stations. I am hopeful the same will be the case here. Remember though, it also can pull PSIP guide data - meaning if you receive a Canadian OTA channel with data - you should get the guide info too.

Stu
tenstu, did you use your Canadian CC to place your order? How do you input the billing address? Have you checked your CC and confirmed the payment?
post #42 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 03:23 PM

AmowAgou,

I am not sure yet.

As I noted above, it would not accept Canadian billing info so I let it use the shipping address. It sort of appears that an amount equal to this is missing from my available credit - but I am not certain yet.

Although I would also be surprised if Echostar charged me prior to shipping...

Maybe if there is an issue down the road with this, I will be able to have them input a proper billing address over the phone.

Stu
post #43 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 12:38 PM

Quote:
as of last month WIVB in Buffalo is not and has no immediate plans to do so.
It's still unknown one way or the other regarding WIVB's passing on TVGOS data.
post #44 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-09, 01:06 AM
Veteran

Has anyone heard if the DTVPal DVR sports the so-called enhanced tuner optimized for fringe areas? This is marketed in the DTVPal Plus, but I can't see any reference as to what ships with the DVR model.
post #45 of 956 (permalink) Old 2008-12-26, 05:36 PM

Update:

My DTVPal DVR is in the hands of my friend in Wisconsin. Arrived on the 23rd of December.

He plans to bring in up to us in early January. Once I have it up and going I will report back with full details. I am VERY excited to get this! My only worry os the picture quality.... as my ATSC tuner in TV is stunning. I hope the tiny degradation that is likely is negligible.

This also seems to indicate that using a Canadian credit card is indeed possible - even if you use your US friend's address as the billing info (!!!). Not sure this is a good thing....!

Stu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.